• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

C'est vrai ! 

Speaking of Caesars, I have always wanted to try making one of the clear ones. I've seen a few different recipes and can't find the one I like best, but here is another:

http://urbandeli.ca/2010/03/09/clear-caesars/

Have you or Kerry ever had one or tried making one? 

Not me - but I'm not a big caesar fan.  Prefer my tomato juice unadulterated!

• Like 1

C'est vrai !

Speaking of Caesars, I have always wanted to try making one of the clear ones. I've seen a few different recipes and can't find the one I like best, but here is another:

http://urbandeli.ca/2010/03/09/clear-caesars/

Have you or Kerry ever had one or tried making one?

ETA: This might be the one I first saw. Called Clearly... a Caesar.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=fcb4f7f3-edcb-455d-b302-3a57f89b72e5&sponsor=

I love me a Caesar but it took me a few nights of no sleep to realize that tomatoes are a fine diuretic (for moi). I am not sure that a clear Caesar would change that. But it does sound intriguing.

Edited to add:

But I feel comfortably patriotic anyway having chosen for my cocktail a Bitter Elder! Seniors, like me, in our fair land will see the connection. (My tablet won't allow me to add emoticons.)

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today was to have been the day that I tried sweetening cocoa mass with stevia extract powder. Chopped up 500 grams of cocoa mass - discovered it was already reasonably sweet. Guess it's actually some Callebaut organic I bought up when Qzina was getting rid of it. Wonder where the cocoa mass might be?

IMG_0537.jpg

So I have my EZtemper plugged in since our arrival.

IMG_0538.jpg

Added 5 grams of the silk to the 500 grams of melted and cooled chocolate. 

IMG_0540.jpg

Dipped some Trader Jo's crystallized ginger for Anna.

IMG_0539.jpg

The little bits of ginger and freeze dried mango for bark with the rest. 

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

Look at the gloss on those babies.

• Like 9

I have sampled both the dipped ginger and the bark and they are delicious. Someone needs to come and take them off my hands before I eat them all.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow. I might just have to give those rolls a try.

Thought I'd report back, seeing as you mentioned that you might try them. The rolls are nice, worth the effort in my opinion. I really like the texture and the flavor is good. The bacon is more subtle than I expected but that could easily be a product of the bacon I rendered the fat from. I didn't buy anything special, just the basic cheap stuff. In a moment of brilliance, I planned exactly what I was going to cook today with the knowledge that I didn't have to work because it was a holiday... and completely gave no thought to the fact that the grocery store would be closed. So tonight's burgers were sans lettuce, tomato and onion. Guess it was a good thing the buns were tasty.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have sampled both the dipped ginger and the bark and they are delicious. Someone needs to come and take them off my hands before I eat them all.

If I wasn't at the other end of the province, I'd do my best to help you out with that.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thought I'd report back, seeing as you mentioned that you might try them. The rolls are nice, worth the effort in my opinion. I really like the texture and the flavor is good. The bacon is more subtle than I expected but that could easily be a product of the bacon I rendered the fat from. I didn't buy anything special, just the basic cheap stuff. In a moment of brilliance, I planned exactly what I was going to cook today with the knowledge that I didn't have to work because it was a holiday... and completely gave no thought to the fact that the grocery store would be closed. So tonight's burgers were sans lettuce, tomato and onion. Guess it was a good thing the buns were tasty.

I was quite surprised to learn that our two grocery stores were open for a few hours. Being in a tourist designated area can prove useful.

My 2004 eG Blog

If I wasn't at the other end of the province, I'd do my best to help you out with that.

Might be worth the trip.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

First fish hook of the season removed before dessert!  Couldn't bear to let her sit there with it in her hand while I had crumble.

Did you share some crumble? I hear wounds heal faster with crumble.  :laugh:

• Like 3

Jesus, jess and I leave for NYC to the fine chocolate show to finally publicly launch the EZ and come back to 6 pages of the adventures in Manitoulin. And I see you are still doing chocolate.

Hope the weather is nice and the fireworks are popping.

The show was a great success - I think the expectation for the EZ temper are very promising.

Can't wait to read the rest of the 4 weeks

• Like 2

image.jpg

Good morning. There is very little of our prime rib steak left but I have no intention of letting even a fibre of it go to waste. So home-made bread toasted in the steam oven and topped with well-seasoned, rare beef.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

So after Kerry finishes up at the hospital we will drive into Espanola and see what mischief we can get into there. Hoping the wind is in the right direction so that the stench from the papermills doesn't choke us! There is a liquor store there that stocks the marsala I need for a recipe, a much nicer grocery store than here on the island, A Canadian Tire which often has a great supply of housewares, a Giant Tiger (dollar store) and a chip truck! Seems like enough retail therapy for us until we get to Sudbury.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

My answer to this problem is to box the offending confection and tie with knot and bow.  That will keep me out of the stuff until it can be delivered to always grateful friends and acquaintances.  Leave it unsecured...and I am lost :blush:

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.