• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

So, I have been following the travels part of this thread on a map, but I can't seem to find wiki. Is it on the island or back towards Espanola? Perhaps Wikwemikong?

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

So, I have been following the travels part of this thread on a map, but I can't seem to find wiki. Is it on the island or back towards Espanola? Perhaps Wikwemikong?

Not sure how much access Kerry has to the net today in Wiki so I am answering for her. Yes that is the place. It is a reservation and she will be working at the retirement home and at the clinic today.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So with the kitchen to myself until late this afternoon I can get up to all kinds of mischief. In lieu of any formal breakfast because I was alone and could offend no one, I nibbled at the remaining pieces of prime rib until it was all gone.

First up was some multigrain bread using 10 grain cereal but no whole-wheat flour. Here it is waiting to go into the oven:

image.jpg

Then I have to tell you that guesses about chicken marsala were completely off the mark! I have read a great deal about the dish without ever making it. This Marsala was destined to go into carrot cake! Obviously not your standard carrot cake. This one is from the book The Glorious Vegetables of Italy. And here, minus the all-purpose flour, is the mise en place (esp. for rotuts who enjoys such things).

image.jpg

I only hope it is nearly as good as it smelled while baking!

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Here is the bread out of the oven. I am still getting accustomed to this oven again and it annoys me immensely. If you press stop to shut off the timer it also turns off the oven! I don't think the bread suffered for it but there are certainly many things that might.

So our first "visit" from Mollie Katzen is likely the simplest of all from her book The Heart of the Plate.

image.jpg

Pickled red onions. I have made the pickled red onions from Judy Rogers' The Zuni Café and they are delicious but these are a much simpler condiment. Only onion, vinegar, sweetener and salt and it is up to you which vinegar and which sweetener you use. I chose red wine vinegar and honey but as they were sitting on the counter I sprinkled in just a little balsamic because I could. I will let them sit on the counter for an hour or so before moving them to a sealed container and putting them in the fridge. I think both Kerry and I are partial to condiments even beyond the usual mustard, ketchup and mayo.

Next up of course will be dinner. We picked up a small chicken yesterday in Espanola and I am planning on cooking it in the Remoska with a few vegetables so that it should be a meal in a pot with very little cleanup for either of us. Kerry is not on call tonight so will be able to enjoy a cocktail. She is not working again until Monday so finding a home for my carrot cake might be a challenge!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_0550.jpg

I was offered lunch at the nursing home today - and as I didn't have a lot of time between there and my afternoon clinic I decided to take them up on it.

Spinach quiche (very few eggs were harmed in the making of this quiche), zucchini, barley soup and strawberry mousse.  Everything suffered from lack of salt - the zucchini was the tastiest part of the meal! 

Wiki nursing home used to make the best meals until the government types made them come in line with the provincial standards for food in nursing homes - pity!

• Like 6

image.jpg

Ta da! Dinner. Chicken, potatoes, turnips and carrots. Lemon quarters where the sun don't shine.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Do you have any photos of all that in the Remoska? If not this meal, then another would be nice. It doesn't look big enough to handle all that.

Has it operated and cleaned up as easily as you'd hoped?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Do you have any photos of all that in the Remoska? If not this meal, then another would be nice. It doesn't look big enough to handle all that.

Has it operated and cleaned up as easily as you'd hoped?

image.jpg

It just so happens that I did snap a picture of the raw chicken and vegetables in the Remoska. The picture of the serving platter did not include all of the vegetables since the laws of physics prevented me from putting them on there without most of them ending up on the floor. It cleans up in a minute. The vessel is non-stick and a quick rinse takes care of it. The business end (the top) requires nothing more than a quick wipe. The camping/boating/rving crowd seem to love these things in Europe. One needs to remember that you need landing space for the lid which is quite heavy and HOT.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Impressive! Thank you.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

do you set the temp on the device ?

is there some sort of feed-back that you can vary depending on what you put in the 'pot?'

Simple on/off switch on most of these. There is a window in the lid that is the only feedback.

My 2004 eG Blog

Can you buy me one?

You can probably come and get this one when I'm ready to go home. It's a fun toy but wouldn't give it real estate in my kitchen. I can see its appeal to some people under some circumstances. But if I had real estate to spare I would take home the steam oven.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

speaking of the stem oven, have you tried the 'proof-rise' function for bread ?

do you use butter or oil on the bread pan you used for the 'grain bread?'

I have never found a reason to proof my breads anywhere but on the kitchen counter (or in the microwave for space reasons). I grease my pans with what ever is most conveniently at hand. If the butter dish is close to empty that works fine. Pam, spray olive oil, Crisco....

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Happy July 4 to our American friends. Quick trip to the farmer's market yielded only a little more this week than last week.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

The strawberries look wonderful. Strawberries are not hard to find in southern California, but tasty, flavorful ones are not so common.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

The strawberries look wonderful. Strawberries are not hard to find in southern California, but tasty, flavorful ones are not so common.

Unfortunately looks are not everything! Had far, far nicer and sweeter strawberries. These are from off Island as the weather has been challenging for farmers and gardeners.

My 2004 eG Blog

Scapes and strawberries - what next!

Wait! Did you miss those lovely onions?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ontario strawberries are amazing at the moment!  We picked about 20 lbs (4 of us, 1 - 9mo pregnant) last week - much jam was made.

I have had Ontario strawberries that made me swoon -- these are not them!

My 2004 eG Blog