• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you freeze bones that have been browned to make stock but not used?

billyhill

My eyes were bigger than my brain and I pulled bones from 9 deer quarter to make stock. My poor little 3 to 4 gallon  stock pot does not seem up to the task. I need to either freeze the excess browned bones or lose some sleep and do it in two batches.

The internet seems to say yes, but most if not all of those threads are talking about chicken bones.

17 minutes ago, billyhill said:

My eyes were bigger than my brain and I pulled bones from 9 deer quarter to make stock. My poor little 3 to 4 gallon  stock pot does not seem up to the task. I need to either freeze the excess browned bones or lose some sleep and do it in two batches.

The internet seems to say yes, but most if not all of those threads are talking about chicken bones.

Go ahead and freeze the roasted bones. I've done the same with beef and pork bones as well as chicken bones and it works fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot