• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Our trip out to Mindemoya was both productive and fun.

image.jpg

This is our grocery store haul.

We also found planters and soil for our herbs.

We stopped here

image.jpg

And had these

image.jpg

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Would it be possible to ask once again for that Summer Torte recipe.  Is it already posted somewhere in eG?  Thanks. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Bravo on the Schweppes. It's superior, in my DW's and my opinions, to the offerings we find for our G&Ts.

I've never seen Ruffles Poutine here in southern California. I'd centainly give them a try.

How much travel time to get to Mindemoya? My guess is a generous half hour.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Would it be possible to ask once again for that Summer Torte recipe.  Is it already posted somewhere in eG?  Thanks.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/3783-original-plum-torte

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Bravo on the Schweppes. It's superior, in my DW's and my opinions, to the offerings we find for our G&Ts.

I've never seen Ruffles Poutine here in southern California. I'd centainly give them a try.

How much travel time to get to Mindemoya? My guess is a generous half hour.

We saw those ruffles and knew we had to try them!

Kerry says about 40 minutes to Mindemoya.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

We haven't forgotten you all - we are in an Internet wasteland right now and the only thing working is my phone and that is intermittent is my phone and that's intermittent. questions will be answered as soon as we are able

• Like 1

Well, I'm getting ready to spoon the batter for the plum (mine is fresh peach) torte into the spring form pan.  I only have a 10" pan and the batter looks rather skimpy compared to the pan.  Should I switch to a smaller baking dish?

PS--the recipe says you can use an 8 9 or 10 inch....

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 3

Well, I'm getting ready to spoon the batter for the plum (mine is fresh peach) torte into the spring form pan.  I only have a 10" pan and the batter looks rather skimpy compared to the pan.  Should I switch to a smaller baking dish?

PS--the recipe says you can use an 8 9 or 10 inch....

Nope - use the bigger - the batter expands!

• Like 1

Cooked our little rib eye tonight - sous vide 2 hours at 54.5, Big Green egg to finish.

DSCN5668.jpg

Potatoes and onions baked in Remoska.

DSCN5670.jpg

Oops - missed posting this earlier -

DSCN5666.jpg

Little Italy 

• Like 11

Let us know how the chips taste..plus could I see what a Big Easy looks like..if it's no trouble..thanks. Bev

Here you go

BGE1.jpg

BGE2.jpg

Will report on the chips when we open them.

Edited by Smithy
Rotated photos per member request (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I go away for 3 days and come back to discover I have 4 pages to catch up on already!  Whew!  Thank goodness it is Manitoulin time and I can see the old haunts again :-)  Looking forward to your shots of the Island and its fair offerings.

DH and I were on a road trip this weekend and tried the poutine chips purchased at the gas station, a total impulse purchase.  Needless to say, the bag was emptied pretty quickly.  It must be a new flavour.

• Like 3

Saw the initial postings, then got busy with work/life and was thrilled to rediscover the thread. The plum tart looks great. Have 3 plum trees ready to ripen in a couple of weeks and will certainly be using that recipe. Thanks!

So when I mentioned buying rhubarb at Pike's Farm the other day - Jane at the ER said "why would you buy rhubarb?" "the abandoned house down by me has tons outside" "nobody buys rhubarb here".  So after lunch she brought me several pounds of rhubarb.

DSCN5672.jpg

Pille's Rhubarb Sheet cake

DSCN5673.jpg

Nigella Lawson's Rhubarb and Cornmeal cake

• Like 10

Do you ever stew rhubarb with a little bit of sugar to use as a side at dinner? I still remember going out and picking fresh rhubarb from my mom's garden, stewing it and serving it with dinner.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

We seem to be suffering from some severe Internet problems. I have jimmied this and that and appear to have access on an unsecured connection. Let's see if it lasts until it can be addressed by people who know far more about these things then Kerry or Me.

I had leftover baked potato and some steak from last night so I made a sort of hash by adding a little butter, some chopped scallions and giving it a little while in a hot pan. It turned out to be quite tasty.

image.jpg

I have some 7- and some 10 grain cereals soaking preparatory to attempting a multi grain bread loaf.

Kerry is working all day - at the clinic this morning and the nursing home this afternoon.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

The biggest challenge I face with the bread is reaching down the bread pan. Being vertically challenged is not a lot of fun when you share a kitchen with someone who isn't vertically challenged!

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

rotuts,

I used more or less this recipe but made only one loaf. I used equal parts of each of these cereals.

image.jpg

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Well...almost a Little Italy, but probably still great.

???

My 2004 eG Blog