• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

thank you

i have both those grains

the Test Kitchen made a loaf with these some time ago, and i was very interested in it.

I have yet to make it and I see that the Rx you ref'd comes from on of their ( many ) cookbooks

thanks for rekindling my interest.

did you enjoy the bread ?

bet its might tasty toasted in the CSB !

thank you

i have both those grains

the Test Kitchen made a loaf with these some time ago, and i was very interested in it.

I have yet to make it and I see that the Rx you ref'd comes from on of their ( many ) cookbooks

thanks for rekindling my interest.

did you enjoy the bread ?

bet its might tasty toasted in the CSB !

It just came out of the oven

image.jpg

It looks and smells quite good but it might be a while before we cut into it to determine how it tastes. The recipe calls for it to be coated in oats but there are no oats to be found at the moment. This is quite unusual as they are a staple in the townhouse.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

You've got a slight variation on the Little Italy - it's actually a rye-based cocktail.

Gotcha! My eyes saw what they wanted to see as they frequently do! I saw a bottle of Bulleit rye. Now I see that it is bourbon. Still a damn tasty cocktail.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Let us know how the chips taste..plus could I see what a Big Easy looks like..if it's no trouble..thanks. Bev

The chips are OK. Not especially like poutine in flavour. I would not go out of my way to buy another package. However if someone were to pour some into a bowl within my reach I would probably keep eating them.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Do you ever stew rhubarb with a little bit of sugar to use as a side at dinner? I still remember going out and picking fresh rhubarb from my mom's garden, stewing it and serving it with dinner.

Never have - enjoy stewed rhubarb as a sweet however.

IMG_0532.jpg

Maximilian Affair

Having only taken one picture - I can't go back and replace it with one that's in focus! This was taken before I had any of it to drink.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

Yep. Nothing fancy for tonight's meal. All that lovely beef called out to both of us. Mine is on home made multigrain bread with salt and a scattering of shallot.

image.jpg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

how was that bread ?  will you be making it again ? toasted ?

I like the idea of rare beef on it.

rotuts,

I am just not a huge fan of whole wheat. The bread was really made for the rug rat. I had a vision in my mind of the bread I wanted to create but I think I have to go back to individual inclusions such as sunflower seeds, pepitas, etc. I am going to search and see if I can find a bread that does not include whole wheat flour but is not 100% white flour either. There was nothing really wrong with this bread but with my taste buds. If you don't mind the taste of whole wheat flour I would go for it.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning and Happy Canada Day to all my compatriots. It will be just another day here as Kerry is on call and will likely be in and out all day. She is currently toiling away in the kitchen making some cheese muffins while I sit here enjoying my second coffee and my breakfast.

image.jpg

Cambozola cheese and Serrano ham on Ak Mak crackers.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Happy Canada Day to you too. I actually get today off so I did a little baking this morning as well. Just pulled these bacon potato rolls from the oven. I'm going to grill some burgers and a few of the bacon sausages I made over the weekend that I posted about in the "sausage making" thread so homemade buns seemed like a good idea. The clouds are already moving in for our traditional Canada Day rain but they're claiming it will clear up by this evening... so we'll see.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Happy Canada Day to you too. I actually get today off so I did a little baking this morning as well. Just pulled these bacon potato rolls from the oven. I'm going to grill some burgers and a few of the bacon sausages I made over the weekend that I posted about in the "sausage making" thread so homemade buns seemed like a good idea. The clouds are already moving in for our traditional Canada Day rain but they're claiming it will clear up by this evening... so we'll see.

Wow. I might just have to give those rolls a try. We are going completely off program today. Don't see anything Canadian about dinner this evening unless you include our national dedication to diversity. Leftover lamb from a couple of nights ago will be turned into a Massaman curry which will be served over zoodles!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I have no idea of what a "Candian" dish would be, except maybe for poutine. What would they be?

I suppose poutine is rapidly gaining a reputation as a "national" dish but apart from butter tarts and Nanaimo bars which we tend to claim as our own most of our Canadian dishes tend to be regional. The East Coast has some dishes that seem distinctly theirs (Kerry says there is already a topic on those) and of course Quebec has tortiere and creton(s).

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

A very cheesy lunch today. We had a baked potato leftover so I turned it into soup with some cheese, bacon, scallions, vegetable broth and milk. I enjoyed a bowl of it with one of Kerry's cheese muffins. Kerry grabbed a bowl before returning to the hospital. The weather is such that soup does not seem really out of place!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I have no idea of what a "Candian" dish would be, except maybe for poutine. What would they be?

We are going completely off program today. Don't see anything Canadian about dinner this evening unless you include our national dedication to diversity. 

I made some Canada Day popsicles.   :laugh:  

(Used raspberry purée with a bit of Grand Marnier for the red flag parts, and a cheese-cake type filling. Should have tried to put a whole raspberry in the centre to look like a maple leaf!)  Also have some with blueberry purée topping for American friends and 4th of July. 

IMGP4702.JPG

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 12

Nice, FauxPas. Heavens to Murgatroyd we might at least have chosen a bloody Caesar for our drink tonight. That's pretty darn Canadian, eh?

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Heavens to Murgatroyd we might at least have chosen a bloody Caesar for our drink tonight. That's pretty darn Canadian, eh?

C'est vrai ! 

Speaking of Caesars, I have always wanted to try making one of the clear ones. I've seen a few different recipes and can't find the one I like best, but here is another:

http://urbandeli.ca/2010/03/09/clear-caesars/

Have you or Kerry ever had one or tried making one? 

ETA: This might be the one I first saw. Called Clearly... a Caesar. 

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=fcb4f7f3-edcb-455d-b302-3a57f89b72e5&sponsor=

Edited by FauxPas (log)