• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

YEAH   my favorite time.

love the western sandwich......

what did you feel about the Dorothy Parker gin?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Ah the Great Barrie salt shortage of 2015..I'm getting the t-shirt!

The very same thought occurred to me. I thought I would try to find one on our way home but will likely take the ferry and bypass Barrie by many miles.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We are truly roughing it here in the cabin! Looking in the cupboards failed to reveal any white sugar - but plenty of honey.

DSCN5641.jpg

It also failed to reveal a cocktail shaker - so here is the substitute.

DSCN5643.jpg

A somewhat modified Gin Fix.  I have modified mine further since with a good slug of St Germaine.

• Like 3

For dinner Anna layed out some of the cheese and charcuterie we brought along.

DSCN5645.jpg

Brie and 3 spanish cheeses from Trader Joes, spicy pecans, sesame honey crusted almonds.

DSCN5646.jpg

Lebanon bologna (not sweet!), serrano ham

There were also Ak Mak crackers, finncrisps and walker's oat biscuits withe seeds - I was out in the car fetching them when the pictures were taken.

DSCN5647.jpg

For dessert - a little slice of this caramelized almond with candied orange that I brought back from Spain - called Turrón Yema con Naranja. Something I need to try making this trip.

• Like 9

Lebanon bologna (not sweet!)

That's on my list of things to try to make this summer.

The Turrón Yema con Naranja sounds like a tasty project. I don't know exactly what it is, but it does sound good based on your description.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Lebanon bologna (not sweet!),

Funny since your last trip I found both sweet and savory? bologna in an Acme in South Jersey.  I was scared to ask for a taste.......

Not enough juniper do you think in the Dorothy Parker?   Wish I could taste it but.............

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lebanon bologna (not sweet!),

Funny since your last trip I found both sweet and savory? bologna in an Acme in South Jersey.  I was scared to ask for a taste.......

Not enough juniper do you think in the Dorothy Parker?   Wish I could taste it but.............

Didn't taste any juniper at all!

So, what is the verdict... do you like the Lebanon bologna (not sweet!)?  I like it quite a bit but I don't care for the sweet version at all. 

Very nice dinner.

• Like 1

Every time you two talk about going North to Manitoulin, I picture you way up in the Yukon with polar bears and ice floes.  Then I look at the map and realize I am still farther North than you!  Clearly a West coast perspective on the North-ness of Canada  :smile:   Have a great trip!

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

Nary a polar bear to be found. It's actually stinking hot right now in the little attic room I'm sleeping in!

It is interesting to me how some areas of Canada can be so much further north or south than some in the US. For instance, Point Pelee is more south than the northern border of California. 

Still some folks will cross the border every year in July with their skis. 

• Like 4

So I got up especially early to be ready for the Little Current Farmers' Market only to discover that it doesn't get underway until 9 am.

Breakfast is still dependent on the few groceries we brought with us. Today for me it is the last of the Spanish cabral al vino cheese on toast.

image.jpg

The weather forecast is gloomy. Cold, rainy and windy so I am hoping we can visit the market and move into the townhouse before the skies really open up.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, your breakfasts the past few days reminded me of my mother's. Every day, without fail, she had bread and cheese for breakfast.

Two days in a row with the same breakfast was a necessary evil. We had limited resources at our disposal. Variety in all meals a is my catchphrase.

My 2004 eG Blog

How do you have Trader Joe cheese in Ontario?!  What's the secret?

No secret. You smuggle it across the border from Buffalo every three months or so.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

So we got up early this morning and hurried off to theFfarmers' Market. here is a photograph of our bounty.

image.jpg

Stay tuned for more exciting adventures.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch out today at the Edgewater. Think we would have learned our lesson last time - but it had been closed so we assumed new ownership. Very limited menu.

DSCN5651.jpg

Spaghettini with bolognese sauce - quite heavily oreganoed - lots of canned cheese helped to hide it.

DSCN5649.jpg

Grilled veg sandwich for Anna - much more satisfactory.

IMG_0520.jpg

Packed up the cottage and left for the condo - stopped to get a picture of the wild iris outside the lane at the cottage. 

• Like 5

Oh no. What happened (or failed to happen) at the Farmers' Market?

A combination of circumstances. A long cold winter and a wet spring means all the growing things are behind on the Island and the Pike Farms truck which brings the produce into Little Current had apparently had a breakdown. The vendors at the market this morning were selling mostly crafts. However we wended our way over to Pike Farms and came back with two dozen freshly laid brown eggs and this:

image.jpg

The photo is not the best. Spinach, tomatoes, spring onions and rhubarb. The tomatoes are not grown on the farm but brought up from somewhere south. The produce suffered a little from being in the hot car.

We shall shortly try our luck in the "super markets" as the dare to call themselves.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

So you didn't really think that the "ladies who lunch" could actually drive by the flea market and not stop in, did you? Nor could you expect that once in the flea market they could resist a new toy:

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog