• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt

ElsieD

I have now made a couple of things from this book. I made the Chopped Greek Salad with Mild Lemon Olive Oil Vinaigrette and Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. I liked the Greek salad so much I have purchased the ingredients to make it again. We also enjoyed the pancakes except I thought it they needed more salt. The recipe calls for 1 tsp. Kosher salt and I have made a note to double it next time. The pancakes are tender, light and fluffy, perfect for soaking up maple syrup.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread (that I'd somehow missed). I subscribe to Kenji's daily emails, and have cooked a few of his recipes. I've contemplated getting this, and just haven't done it yet. I may wind up doing so.

I do love Shirley Corriher's book, but to me, the very best cookbook for a relative kitchen novice, particularly one who likes a "method" or basic recipe with lots of potential for adding on/branching out, give me Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything." I habitually give that book to young couples as a wedding gift.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

give me Mark Bittman's "How To Cook Everything." I habitually give that book to young couples as a wedding gift.

I like that book too. It is a modern Joy of Cooking, and way better than J of C ever was.

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

I like that book too. It is a modern Joy of Cooking, and way better than J of C ever was.

I've looked through How To Cook Everything (but not read it cover to cover) and I'm not sure I would agree with you.  For one thing I couldn't find much on cooking what I was looking for.  And I admit a strong bias towards Joy of Cooking,  Been using it for almost fifty years, most recently last night.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, gfweb said:

I love ya, gfweb, but I have to disagree here too. :)

I own both books, and I know Joy isn't hip anymore, but sure is and has been useful to me. I love the depth of coverage on ingredients and techniques. The game chapter and the individual illustrations and descriptions of cooking techniques and characteristics for some of the most popular eating-fish species are invaluable to me. I agree with cooking times and temps for optimum results on most everything. This is my favorite cookbook.

I also love Bittman's book, but like JoNorvelleWalker, I often find myself going back to Joy when I fail to find anything I'm researching in HTCE, or sometimes, when I just plain remember an Irma recipe I prefer to Mark's idea(s). I love and use his lists of ideas for variations on a basic recipe all the time.

That's my personal experience, though, and both books are treasured additions to my kitchen library.

I am so grateful that Kenji share's his extensive research and experimenting with the best results in mind on the Serious Eats site. Many of his articles have improved my cooking. He is not afraid to challenge traditional methods and myths, some of which he has completely debunked.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

14 hours ago, Markm said:

Has anyone purchased this book on a kindle? Curious the user experience digitally. 

My husband preferred the ebook from Apple to the Kindle version.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

54 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

My husband preferred the ebook from Apple to the Kindle version.

That is an interesting remark. How do they differ? 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

He didn't specify, other than he found them both acceptable but thought the ebook was easier to read. This was after downloading the samples of both. He ultimately purchased the ebook (to go along with our home hard copy, and the hard copy he got from his textbook rep at work because this will be the text for his food science class this semester). He's going to tell his students that any form of electronic book or paper is acceptable for their class.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

3 hours ago, MelissaH said:

He didn't specify, other than he found them both acceptable but thought the ebook was easier to read. This was after downloading the samples of both. He ultimately purchased the ebook (to go along with our home hard copy, and the hard copy he got from his textbook rep at work because this will be the text for his food science class this semester). He's going to tell his students that any form of electronic book or paper is acceptable for their class.

Thanks.  I am guessing then it is purely subjective.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As usual, I bought the print version of this book but I now find myself wishing I had purchased it as an e-book (although not enough to pay for it again).  I haven't made much progress with it because I keep grabbing other titles that are easier to carry and/or physically handle while reading.  I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone is debating which format to buy.

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks.  I am guessing then it is purely subjective.

I'd still love to know the reason though.  I have only the print edition.  One disadvantage of the print edition is of course it's heavy.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...