• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiralized vegetables and vegetable rices

Franci

""    potato clad sea bass   """

this is it.  exactly it.  I now recall it was a white firm fish.   I generally have salmon on the brain ....

wo where did I see this done ?  it had to be a PBS cooking show.

Maybe Great Chef's of New York ?

and what exactly was the peeler-thingy.\?

I recall they used a russet and there was a lot of waist to get to the even cylinder.  but it was a potato, not a truffle.

I think the Sea Bass was crisped on one side in a hot pan, flipped, then finished in a hot oven.

glad someone got to try it.

it looked fabulous to me ......

now to find the gizmo.

This was actually a challenge on top chef one year - maybe season 3?  I believe Hung won the challenge.  The dish was a signature either at Daniel or LeCirque. 

• Like 2

the tines that hold the vegetables on the Paderno weaken over time I am not disappointed it how it works or cuts but how it could have been better at holding the vegetables in place..I kind of thought it was just kind of flimsy over all. Passing mine on to my kids now  to play with now thinking maybe my son can figure out how to keep the vegetables in place better. I just didn't need that many spiraled vegetables I guess? 

The Benriner vertical unit holds the vegetables firmly, even the hard ones.  There are several YouTube videos shows this in operation.

Here's one.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you Liz.

the item I saw , and salivated over as i like fish was well before TopChef.

however, that's good to know, do you recall what the 'slicer' looked like ?

no reason once someone gets this idea that it cant filter down to the masses then maybe to me.

:biggrin:

"" Daniel or LeCirque ""

so Id love to figure out where I saw this.

it had to be PBS  not the FoodNet

so   Great Chefs of New York ?

a stunning series BTW

I have it on VHS

and I do still have a small TV ( Tube ) and a way to look at this and maybe capture it.

Sooooooo  much work to do

Sooooooooooooooooo much Fizz to explore .............

:biggrin:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I had a fish course at Le Bec Fin in the '80's that was perhaps the best fish of my short life.  I don't think the fish was wrapped in vegetable though, as best I can remember.

However I must say that Paderno device looks mighty tempting.  I have been pleased with Paderno products.  They seem to be good value.

Wasn't much at LBF that wasn't perfect...until the end  anyway.

I do miss that place.

Here is a spiralized jicama, very large noodles...I only got half moons really. Regular jicama noodles and angel hair carrots. Kids got jicama, carrot salad as side dish.

image.jpg

Then I spiralized a butternut squash and decided to make rice using my grater with the shredding attachment, maybe tomorrow I'll try to use the mixer to see the difference. Also I'd like to use the large noodles blade and see how big the rice grains come out.

image.jpg

I wanted to make a risotto. It didn't feel like eating risotto at all but it was still delicious.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

Well, Franci, I have just used part of a gift certificate that I got at Christmas to order one! I had put it in my cart, took it out of my cart, put it back in ad nauseam for days. Today I pulled the trigger and I have been offered a ride to one of the better grocery stores so I shall stock up on spiralizeable vegetables. If Amazon plays true to form I should be spiralizing with you before the weekend.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Rotuts , just so you can see better

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice hasselback potatoes but I doubt you can wrap anything

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The ribbon-cut blade on my machine does make an "endless" ribbon that is easy to form around things, not at all like the stack of rounds shown in your photo.  It essentially "peels" a long strip off the vegetable.  I had mine mounted on the edge of a heavy butcher block so I could place a bowl of water under the "output" end - so the ribbon would fall into the water, which kept the more brittle types from breaking.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was asked over on the Dinner Topic which spiralizer I had purchased. I ordered the Paderno three blade model from Amazon.ca. However, it would appear that it will be shipped from the United States by way of Amazon.com but heaven only knows when. Means all the vegetables I bought yesterday will probably have to be prepared another way!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

And yet Paderno is Canadian.  Wonder if the outlet would have it?

And yet Paderno is Canadian.  Wonder if the outlet would have it?

Not so much

http://world-cuisine.com/about_us/

I know Paderno cooking equipment is both Canadian and I believe Italian.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

It arrived!

image.jpg

First attempt. This is adapted from inspiralized.com. Heirloom carrots, cucumber, riced daikon, strips of seaweed, shrimp and a ginger miso dressing.

I found this quite challenging but not because of the machine but rather because I felt I needed 10 more feet of counter space. I know my kitchen is small but I felt quite claustrophobic trying to spiralize vegetables. I suspect with a little more practice I will find a better way to organize my workspace and my work flow. I also found that it takes far smaller chunks of vegetables to make enough noodles to satisfy one person.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm in.  Found a used Benriner in a thrift store today here.  It only has one shredding blade - but it looks like the most appropriate one for most tasks. 

• Like 2

Feeling that my spiralizer was underutilized, I decided to do a new take on pot roast: braised chuck with turnip, parsnip, celeriac, and butternut squash noodles. My usual move with pot roast is to cook the root veg separately from the braise and then add it at the end so you still have different flavors instead of a "one note" stew. I usually cook them sous vide, so I did that this time. The only downfall was that because the noodles were thinner, I ended up overcooking them and they fell apart when I combined them at the end. Next time I'll be more mindful of the noodles so I have some longer noodles with a firmer texture. After a tweak or two, I'm confident that this will be a successful dish. The flavors were spot on. It was good. It will be better.

pot_roast_spiral.jpg

• Like 6

btbyrd,

Please tell me more about sous viding the noodles. Did you season them in anyway before bagging them? Did you include any liquid in the bag? For how long and at what temperature did you cook them? The thought of Sous Vide vegetable noodles had occurred to me.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I showed this thread to my husband - his response was "We need one." (To him, anything that resembles pasta is automatically good.) I am dithering between the paderno and the benriner. According to multiple reviews, the paderno is more stable, because of the suction cups but the benriner does a better job at holding the vegetables. Any advice would be appreciated.

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I bought the Paderno model about a year ago and use it mostly (and often) for zucchini noodles.  As a lower carb alternative to pasta I have tried shirataki noodles, kelp noodles, spaghetti squash and none come closer to the texture of Italian pasta than zucchini noodles.  They're still not quite there, but it's close enough to satisfy my pasta cravings.  I'm still looking for better ways to expel the moisture from the zucchini though to avoid the watery sauce issue. This weekend I'm going to try sticking them in my dehydrator (new toy/Xmas present) for a few hours after salting and wringing them out.

• Like 1