• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetable Tian

lindag

I made a Zucchini and Tomato Tian with Caramelized onions a couple nights ago.

The aroma while roasting was amazing as was the finished dish.

I used:  

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 onions slice 1/4" thick, cut in half
S & P
2 minced garlic cloves
1 pound zucchini sliced 1/4" thick
1 pound yellow squash sliced 1/4" thick
1 pound plum tomato sliced 1/4" thick
1 tsp minced fresh thyme
2 ounces gruyere shredded

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 13 by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Spread onion mixture on bottom of prepared dish.

INSTRUCTIONS

INSTRUCTIONS
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 13 by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil; set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Spread onion mixture on bottom of prepared dish.

Alternately shingle zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes into single layer of 4 tightly fit rows on top of onions. Sprinkle with thyme, drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Remove foil, sprinkle Gruyère over top, and continue to bake until bubbling around edge and lightly browned on top, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Brush 13 by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil; set aside.

Alternately shingle zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes into single layer of 4 tightly fit rows on top of onions. Sprinkle with thyme, drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.

Remove foil, sprinkle Gruyère over top, and continue to bake until bubbling around edge and lightly browned on top, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.

Remove foil, sprinkle Gruyère over top, and continue to bake until bubbling around edge and lightly browned on top, 20 to 30 minutes longer. Rest 10 mins.

This is a terrific recipe and a great way to used those fresh veg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@lindag, did you make one slice thickness of each of the four ingredients which were repeated, or, four separate layerings of all slices of four ingredients?

Each layer was alternating different slices., i.e., layer 1: zuke, squash. tomato onion. next layer the same.

• Thanks 1

I meant to add the the original post that this dish didn't hold well for leftovers.

Next time I'll halve the recipe.

It just got soggy and not particularly appetizing looking.  And, I think, the flavors faded.