• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiralized vegetables and vegetable rices

Franci

Secrets are hard to keep on eG as we believe sharing is the best strategy. Here you go.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149057-manitoulin-test-kitchen-part-2/?p=1980631

Edited to make sense

Thanks!  I had a feeling I had seen it mentioned before but I truly could not get a result from either the site search or from Google, though I double-checked my spelling.  Sunspots, gremlins, rogue electrons, etc. 

Gooood

really Goooooooooooood

well , excellent

SomeDay might be tomorrow

etc

this is what you aim for :

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEVvZFx7pU3G0ADnQlnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTBsa3ZzMnBvBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--?_adv_prop=image&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&va=steam+oven+gaggenau&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

in the Mean Time

one might learn a quite a bit on the 

CSB

discounted , of course.

then you will have Dual Steam Ovens !

This just arrived

Brieftons Spiral Slicer: Stainless Steel Vegetable Spiralizer with Special Japanese Blades and 2 Julienne Sizes, Perfect Spiral Cutter for Low Carb Healthy Vegetable Meals - With Manual, Recipes and Cleaning Brush

and its going right back. complete POS

Ah yes, the vegetable sharpener. Been there. Done that. Hope you try again with a Benriner or Paderno style.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks!  I had a feeling I had seen it mentioned before but I truly could not get a result from either the site search or from Google, though I double-checked my spelling.  Sunspots, gremlins, rogue electrons, etc.

Ah yes. I would like to think you might do better if I used its proper name but you know very well I would drop a vowel or two and maybe a consonant and you still wouldn't find it!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It occurred to me that using the benriner spiralizer to cut the veg for a gratin would be a good way to go.

I had 3 kohlrabi, a med sized celeriac and a couple of potatoes.  Took out the shredding blade, cut each veg to the middle along one side so I'd get slices instead of a long ribbon.  

attachicon.gifIMG_0115.jpg

So half has the potatoes along with some kohlrabi and celeriac, the other hand just the celeriac and kohlrabi.   Some cream with garlic, salt, pepper, dotted with butter - cheese on my side and it's in the oven.  

I'd like to be able to prepare thinner, more uniform, slices of potato for gratin dauphinois than my knife skills will allow.  Is the Benriner the best tool for this?  I have the full set of slicing discs for my Cuisinart but the Cuisinart won't fit a whole potato and I end up with a bunch of potato shavings instead of potato slices.

I understand a mandoline is considered a good tool for this, but I am a little afraid of the blade.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I'd like to be able to prepare thinner, more uniform, slices of potato for gratin dauphinois than my knife skills will allow.  Is the Benriner the best tool for this?  I have the full set of slicing discs for my Cuisinart but the Cuisinart won't fit a whole potato and I end up with a bunch of potato shavings instead of potato slices.

I understand a mandoline is considered a good tool for this, but I am a little afraid of the blade.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

""  only time I cut myself was when I did something STUPID ""

that's so exactly right.

STUPID  is more or less thinking Something Else  while your are mandoline-ing

that last Nubin ?

that you eat or check your self into the E.R.

A timely  item just posted on FaceBook  re: crispy shredded potatoes.   Check it out.

Now haul out you waffle iron and have a go at using it to obtain the ultimate crispy string potato  "cake" ...

I have made rostii using one of my vintage sandwich presses, with quite good results.

Since I also have "several" waffle irons, this will be an upcoming experiment - for the sweet potatoes.

And incidentally, I found one of the Paderno spiralizers in a plastic bag hanging in the "hall" between the pantry and the laundry room. (Was searching for something else.  I know I never used it and don't recall buying it.  It may have been a "hand-me-down" from someone who didn't know what to do with it - I get a lot of things that way.

Since there are no instructions, with it, and I always keep them, I'm sure that's the story.

Rather than dig out the big metal one, I think I will give this one a try to see how well it works.  Still haven't found the vertical Benriner but it is somewhere around...

HPIM7304.JPG

HPIM7305.JPG

HPIM7305.JPG

HPIM7304.JPG

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My cuisinarts are currently in a drawer in Fiver McGee's closet - the discs divided into a couple of cupboards.  I do have a DLC-X which allows for a bigger potato to be sliced.  Not sure where the mandoline is - ever since the meat slicer incident I'm a little hesitant to find it - always did have a healthy fear of it.

My cuisinarts are currently in a drawer in Fiver McGee's closet - the discs divided into a couple of cupboards.  I do have a DLC-X which allows for a bigger potato to be sliced.  Not sure where the mandoline is - ever since the meat slicer incident I'm a little hesitant to find it - always did have a healthy fear of it.

My mandoline sits on the pot rack, ready for use. Its a microplane that just slices, no fancy attachments, compact, easy to clean and use. I can be done using it in the time it takes to get the cuiseinart out of the closet.

And I think its Fibber McGhee who had the closet.

As a side benefit, while I was inspecting the Cuisinart discs (including of course julienne) I found some of my KA meat grinder blades!  Haven't used them since a CIA degreed friend told me meat grinders ought to be refrigerated.  Which adds something to the expense.

I now have every good intention to explore the Cuisinart blades some more before hitting the button on the Benriner.  Recall that my apple peeler also claims to be able to prepare shoestring potatoes.

http://Back To Basics Apple And Potato Peeler

Kerry (or anyone) care to share how to cook shoestring potatoes in the oven?  Frying is not my thing.

My mandoline sits on the pot rack, ready for use. Its a microplane that just slices, no fancy attachments, compact, easy to clean and use. I can be done using it in the time it takes to get the cuiseinart out of the closet.

And I think its Fibber McGhee who had the closet.

Ah yes - autocorrect should have caught that!

As a side benefit, while I was inspecting the Cuisinart discs (including of course julienne) I found some of my KA meat grinder blades!  Haven't used them since a CIA degreed friend told me meat grinders ought to be refrigerated.  Which adds something to the expense.

I now have every good intention to explore the Cuisinart blades some more before hitting the button on the Benriner.  Recall that my apple peeler also claims to be able to prepare shoestring potatoes.

http://Back To Basics Apple And Potato Peeler

Kerry (or anyone) care to share how to cook shoestring potatoes in the oven?  Frying is not my thing.

Drizzle with, or mix in a bowl with some oil, salt and pepper - spread thinly on parchment - stir frequently.

Your gratin looks very good Kerry.

Today I spiralized 2 yukon gold potatoes and cooked SV at 85 C with salt and a drop of oil. I think I cooked for 30 minutes. The Anova turned of a couple times at the beginning, then I was busy and didn't check on it again. When I went back to check I assumed the time elapsed. I wasn't done with the rest of the meal and left my potatoes in water for maybe 10-15 minutes.

It's against my religion to dress anything spaghetti with ragu' alla bolognese...what you do for science. I need to try with the larger noodle blade, maybe exerting less pressure while spiralizing it's possible to achieve something resembling to tagliatelle.

BTW, cooking was perfect and taste was good. Not as toothsome as some very well made tagliatelle but good. My son tried and approved.

spaghetti patate ragu.jpeg

• Like 5