• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rinsing rice

lindag

7 hours ago, lindag said:

I happened to see this (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)and immediately thought of you, @JoNorvelleWalker

I have a simple rice rinser bowl but it just doesn't do an adequate job.

This one is perfect!

For washing rice I use this:

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

But I'm sure the bowl has other uses.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have this one - looks like a bed pan 

I ended up getting a smaller one from TEMU for about $5.00 - I usually only cook a cup or less of rice

I found that by just setting it in the sink and using the spray option on my faucet I can leave it untended for about 3 - 4 minutes and the rice water is crystal clear with no lost rice - no swishing or decanting required

rice.jpg.47589f22a667460b035e04fcfb397ee4.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

That's the one I use!

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

12 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

But I'm sure the bowl has other uses.

(One) of the issue I had with that Ino

1 hour ago, Alex said:

That's the one I use!

(one of the issues I had with that Inomata rice washing bowl was that the rice kernels were just the right size for sticking in the holes.  (I use Calrose rice a lot).  The other was draining the rice without it poring out the spout.  I like thta this one has it's own bowl and I can easily see when the water gets clear.  

A better mousetrap.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

Zojirushi said not to use the insert for this because its surface has been engineered, so should be handled with care.

That I don't understand. Of course it's been engineered; they don't grow on trees. Sieves and bowls are engineered, too! Washing the rice in the insert is no different from washing the insert after dinner.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Wash Rice the Zojirushi Way

Preparation

Measure and add the desired amount of rice to the inner cooking pan of your Zojirushi rice cooker using the rice measuring cup that comes with it. Fill a separate bowl with clean, cool water and pour it into the inner pan.

Initial Rinse

With an open hand, stir the rice in the water 2-3 times, then drain. Repeat this initial rinse step up to three times, until the water begins to run clear. Be sure to spend no more than 10 seconds during each rinse, so the rice doesn’t absorb the starchy water.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Measure and add the desired amount of rice to the inner cooking pan of your Zojirushi rice cooker using the rice measuring cup that comes with it. Fill a separate bowl with clean, cool water and pour it into the inner pan.

Apart from the redundant second bowl, that's pretty much how I've ever seen anyone here do it here. No second bowl. Straight from the tap. The Chinese, the world's biggest rice eaters, are meticulous about cleaning rice. Obsessive, even.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, lindag said:

(One) of the issue I had with that Ino

(one of the issues I had with that Inomata rice washing bowl was that the rice kernels were just the right size for sticking in the holes.  (I use Calrose rice a lot).  The other was draining the rice without it poring out the spout.  I like thta this one has it's own bowl and I can easily see when the water gets clear.  

A better mousetrap.

I have that problem when washing basmati.  But Japonica rice works just fine.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I had high hopes for the Inomata .

when I use it , the rice sticks to the plastic 

and I need to use a utensil to scrape off all the bits 

into the rice cooker.  

w the stainless steel bowl , it all easily slips  to the RC ,

w a tap or two to the SS bowl.

• Thanks 1