• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiralized vegetables and vegetable rices

Franci

btbyrd,

Please tell me more about sous viding the noodles. Did you season them in anyway before bagging them? Did you include any liquid in the bag? For how long and at what temperature did you cook them? The thought of Sous Vide vegetable noodles had occurred to me.

I season them with salt and pepper and sealed them with a small amount of fat (butter in this case, but sometimes olive oil). As I mentioned, I usually cook veg for pot roast separately, and sous vide is a great way to do it because you don't lose any flavor to boiling water (or end up with veg that all taste like meat broth). I cooked them at the standard veg temperature (85C) but didn't keep a good eye on the time. When you cook them in larger chunks as opposed to noodles, it's not a big deal if they go over because they're not going to fall apart the way that noodles will... so I was less concerned with monitoring them than I should have been. Next time I'll check them after 25 or 30 minutes -- just give the bag a squeeze to test the texture -- and see if they need more time. I'm also not sure if the vegetables soften at different rates, which seems likely. It might just be easier to roast them in the oven on a sheet pan, which I'll also try. I really like the concept of this dish because it's a familiar dish that eats much better than the traditional version.

• Like 1

This was actually a challenge on top chef one year - maybe season 3?  I believe Hung won the challenge.  The dish was a signature either at Daniel or LeCirque. 

I had it at Daniel back in the 90s, so I think it was his.   Potato wrapped cod, red wine reduction.  Still memorable.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

I bought the Paderno model about a year ago and use it mostly (and often) for zucchini noodles.  As a lower carb alternative to pasta I have tried shirataki noodles, kelp noodles, spaghetti squash and none come closer to the texture of Italian pasta than zucchini noodles.  They're still not quite there, but it's close enough to satisfy my pasta cravings.  I'm still looking for better ways to expel the moisture from the zucchini though to avoid the watery sauce issue. This weekend I'm going to try sticking them in my dehydrator (new toy/Xmas present) for a few hours after salting and wringing them out.

I wonder if one were to salt them for 30 minutes to draw some of the moisture out?

I wonder if one were to salt them for 30 minutes to draw some of the moisture out?

Salting draws out a considerable amount of moisture, but as soon as it hits a hot pan it puts out even more.  Last time I salted and drained the noodles and then put them on a bed of paper towel in a 200F oven for a further 30min.  This released a lot more water as well, but still after hitting the hot pan the sauce was more liquidy that I would have liked.  

Edit:

I was trying to do a carbonara at the time.  If I'd been trying to dress it with just a normal tomato sauce I wouldn't have heated in the pan again which might have solved the liquid problem.  

Edited by TylerK (log)
  • Like 1

TylerK, I remember when my parents went for a trip to Calabria they brought back some "seccatini". They were nest, like tagliatelle nests, of dried zucchini. I dehydrated them in water to use.

I should try your suggestion, salting them and dehydrating the zucchini, maybe not to the seccatini stage.

Thanks btbyrd, I'll also try the SV.

Today I made 2 dishes. The sauteed broccoli stems spiralized, plus florets and usual garlic/chili pepper/anchovy (florets were previously pressure cooked briefly). Stems just sauteed in the oil, only a drop of water to steam covered

broccoli spriralized.jpeg

Then I spriralized 3 medium yellow beets with the large noodle blade. This time no half moons, long nice threads. After that I passed them in the large shredding of my Westmark grater. Better size for rice I think.

I made a paste with garlic, thai chilies, lemongrass, some cooked bacon, sauteed with coconut oil, added some shrimps,  then added the rice, sauteed a bit more, added a splash of water, covered for couple minutes, open to dry all the moisture and then chopped coriander. Not bad, better if I cooked the shrimps on their own and added at the end. I can definitely see cooking this again with some fish.

yellow beet rice.jpeg

• Like 2

I season them with salt and pepper and sealed them with a small amount of fat (butter in this case, but sometimes olive oil). As I mentioned, I usually cook veg for pot roast separately, and sous vide is a great way to do it because you don't lose any flavor to boiling water (or end up with veg that all taste like meat broth). I cooked them at the standard veg temperature (85C) but didn't keep a good eye on the time. When you cook them in larger chunks as opposed to noodles, it's not a big deal if they go over because they're not going to fall apart the way that noodles will... so I was less concerned with monitoring them than I should have been. Next time I'll check them after 25 or 30 minutes -- just give the bag a squeeze to test the texture -- and see if they need more time. I'm also not sure if the vegetables soften at different rates, which seems likely. It might just be easier to roast them in the oven on a sheet pan, which I'll also try. I really like the concept of this dish because it's a familiar dish that eats much better than the traditional version.

Thank you. Have you tried cooking them sous vide, icing down and keeping for a few days? I would imagine it would work perfectly well as it does with vegetables in larger chunks. I am thinking this might work for me as most vegetables produce too many noodles for one meal for a singleton but some vegetables that have been partially spiralized would not last in the raw state without discolouring.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Spiralized sweet potato tossed with grape seed oil and Dutch potato spice (suggested by Kerry Beal) ready to go in to the Breville XL toaster oven.

image.jpg

After 20 or 25 minutes at 400°F.

This single sweet potato made a perfectly adequate dinner for me tonight.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm not usually crazy about sweet potatoes, Anna N, because people usually insist on making them even sweeter. Your noodles look and sound delicious...not too sweet, and quite creative. What are the darker strips in the photo? Spiral-cut peel? Slightly caramelized potato noodle?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I imagine having a really hot pan for those zucchini noodles that have been salted and dried would be the trick...kinda like cooking mushrooms...nice hot pan.

Anna, very creative is right.  I have a butternut squash that I think I might try that way.  Maybe add some onions sliced really thinly on the mandolin. A sprinkle of some kind of spice rub will be added for some extra flavour as you did.  AND, it's a great way to eat more vegetables.  Kids would probably really go for something like that, especially if they did the spiralling.  

Franci, my favourite combo for broccoli:  olive oil, garlic, anchovy and chilli.  The stems spiralized 

Love this thread.  I have an upright Benriner which lived in the back pantry.  Now it it in a more accessible place.

• Like 1

Got bored waiting for the potato spirals to brown in the oven - so hauled them out to a fry pan.  

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Served to hubby with a side of sautéed baby cut carrots.  

Purchased the blade for bigger noodles - not sure how long it will take to arrive.

• Like 2

I'm not usually crazy about sweet potatoes, Anna N, because people usually insist on making them even sweeter. Your noodles look and sound delicious...not too sweet, and quite creative. What are the darker strips in the photo? Spiral-cut peel? Slightly caramelized potato noodle?

I have Andi to thank for my creativity! She pointed me to the recipe up topic. The darker strips are already caramelized noodles. I found it difficult to cook them all consistently so that some were almost charred before others were cooked.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

To avoid the problem of the spiralized vegetables "stewing" in the moisture they produce, I have one of the perforated pizza pans and put the strings on that over another pan so the juices drip through and they bake nicely, crisping to the degree I want depending on how long I leve them in the oven.

I take them out about half way through and toss to make sure the oil and seasonings are well distributed. 

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Franci - can you post a picture of the item you use to convert the shreds to rice?

I hit all sorts of things with my new hammer today.  I spiralized some zucchini and swede to put in the freeze dryer.  I spiralized some cucumber and rainbow radish to make a salad for hubbies dinner.  I put together a miso vinaigrette to dress it - and for the salad I'll take to work added some white turnip, jicama and zucchini.  

IMG_0108.jpg

The remainder of the jicama is in the oven, some oil and dutch potato spice on it.  (and totally out of focus apparently)

IMG_0107.jpg

• Like 4

if one were to 'spiral-ize' something

say a veg   a potato, carrot or parsnip ...........

then freeze dry them ........

add 'on demand ' some salt, the correct seasoning ....

would they be 'crunchy' like chips ?

or is there fat to be added for that Mouth-feel ?

Kerry is certainly into spirilizing!

image.jpg

Egg and chips were a frequent and favourite meal in my childhood (and let's be honest in my adulthood too). So here's my latest interpretation. Spiralized russet potato with a fried egg and my new favourite pickle. Sort of defeats the whole concept of spiralized vegetables as healthy eating!

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

well Ive been on the Return Click for some time 

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Spiralizer-4-Blade/dp/B00AW3B5MM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420832431&sr=8-1&keywords=4+blade+spiralizer+paderno

what do I get w that 4th blade ?  

its 16 Bucks !

thats a bit of prue fizz right there

if its worth it , well OK.  saves me some Phantasmagoric Dreams about what Im missing.

any ideas on that 4th blade ?

at least it takes up less counter space that a Cuisi-Steam-Boy

or CSB-Deux

just saying ....

Edited by rotuts (log)

Leifheit makes this spiral slicer that produces the vegetable "ribbons" as shown in the photo.  It does not do the julienne cuts.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

any ideas on that 4th blade ?

The 4th blade is for angel hair. It depends on your preferences. I , for example, like carrots, raw beets, celery root pretty thin for salads.

The 2nd advantage is that you can spiralized very small things: tiny carrots, radishes...

Cons: it's less stable than the 3 blade.

rotuts,,

Perhaps you just need to practice!

Google Katsuramuki knife techniques on YouTube. I tried to provide a link but was unsuccessful

My 2004 eG Blog

nah ....

my Edge-Pro-ed knives are always En Garde

I needed a treat.

Ive done Julienne for a long time w the extra blade  ( not included )

when various veg are farmer fresh

summer squash :  the only way I eat them