• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bowl to Let Bread Dough Rise In

Porthos

I am looking for a stoneware bowl for my daughter to use for letting bread dough rise. I am thinking that the shape should be wider than it's height - like an old large Pyrex mixing bowl. Am I on the right track.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I use an 8 cup measuring cup.  It is big enough for a two loaf batch and you can see how much dough goes in and thereby tell when it has doubled.  I saw one at Target that had a cover.  Or you can cover it with plastic wrap, wax paper, damp cloth or whatever.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

Hi, I have a large (5 quart) stoneware bowl that I bought about 20-years ago.  It's specifically for the purpose of letting bread dough rise.

roseville bread bowl.jpg

Roseville bowls are thick and heavy, and come in a variety of sizes, from 2-quart to about 12-quart.  Made in USA.

They're spendy new, but they can be found used on line (ebay, etsy) or perhaps found in thrift and second hand stores.

I now use an 8-cup Pyrex bowl for my much smaller bread and baking needs these days.  It's like the one in the link below, although I don't have the lid.  Didn't see a need for it in my situation.

http://www.target.com/p/pyrex-8-cup-measuring-cup-with-lid/-/A-10322004

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I have that exact bowl I bought for bread Shel! - it is a great size for me and beautiful to look at. It was a set of 3 but I managed to break the super large one and the smaller one. 

I don't like breakables in my kitchen, just like the work kitchen. I just use the metal half-sphere bowls from Ikea; they don't weigh much so you aren't lifting much more than the dough itself, they wash easy, won't break, won't spontaneously explode, can be heated with a torch if needed, and will take a lot of abuse from other kitchen activities.

• Like 1

I have all kinds of bowls but I usually use a Cambro container with a lid.  I prefer to have a container that is MUCH LARGER than 8 cup because I have often had bread doughs rise much more than expected - some can triple in volume and go exploring outside the container if the space is not adequate.

Some doughs that are heavier are more predictable but some, such as sourdoughs are not. 

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Another fan of Cambro, Super versatile.  I have several 2,4,and 6 qt. round containers in the pantry at any given time.  One of the 6 qt is dedicated to dough recipes (2 loaf usually) , the others can be used for smaller or additional loaves.  I like the easy to read graduations, and as mentioned above they're great to put in fridge for slow rises.  

Being inexpensive, easy to clean, and (virtually) unbreakable doesn't hurt either.

Edited by daveb (log)
  • Like 1

I have Cambro containers from 1 quart to 22 quart  and when I was baking big batches of bread, I would have dough working in two of the 22 qt containers.

I use them for storage, for brining, for pickling and etc.

In my opinion they are very reasonably priced - I bought most of mine at Smart & Final. 

DSCN0091Move.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Porthos,   I think your daughter will be much happier if you buy a see through container with straight sides, like a Cambro in the above post.  For bulk fermentation, the general rule is that you follow the recipe for the amount of the rise ( some recipes say double in volume, others say triple ) and that the time frame is just a rough guideline and may be way off.  With a slope sided bowl, it is virtually impossible to determine when it has doubled in size, unless your daughter is a math wiz.  With a straight sided see through container it is dirt simple, put the dough in, put a rubber band around the outside of the container at that level, and then put a second rubber band at twice that height - when the dough reaches the second rubber band - it is done  ( assuming the recipe says double in volume ).  Having an assortment is really helpful if your daughter does different amounts of dough regularly.  If she only makes one size, try to find something where the batch will go about 1/3 of the way up the container, that makes it easy to see when it doubles.  If you buy a very big container, it can be harder to measure how much is doubled.  

I have plenty of 4 and 8 quart cambros. Based upon the typical 2 - loaf quantity she makes the 4 quart should meet her needs. My DW did buy a Pyrex bowl for her today so my daughter will have choices.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have the giant version of this.  I noticed that where ever The Two Fat Ladies were they always had a bowl like this to use. I suspect they carted their own around.  No way in heck could every kitchen have one!  I use mine to mix up batches of bird pudding for the winged critters that winter here.  The rest of the time is lives on top of the kitchen cabinet and looks like I really do know how to cook.  Fooled 'em again.

• Like 2

I have the giant version of this.  I noticed that where ever The Two Fat Ladies were they always had a bowl like this to use. I suspect they carted their own around.  No way in heck could every kitchen have one!  I use mine to mix up batches of bird pudding for the winged critters that winter here.  The rest of the time is lives on top of the kitchen cabinet and looks like I really do know how to cook.  Fooled 'em again.

I was luck enough to find 3 Gripstands of graduated sizes at a small-town junk shop for not very much money.  I wouldn't have paid full retail, but they sure are nice.

I don't know. I grew up in the UK and my grandmother and all of my aunts had a bowl very similar to this that was dedicated to bread. They were all decorated on the outside with wheat sheaves.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

What a good-looking bowl. I have never seen anything quite like that in my years of dedicated thrift store shpping. If I ever see one I will most certainly buy it for my daughter.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Why not use a proofing basket/banneton?

Nostalgia? Logic doesn't always play a major role in our choices. I was with Kerry when she spotted this bowl and although we left it in the thrift store I was transported back some 60+ years to my grandmother's house and the sight of a similar yellow bowl covered with a pristine linen tea towel hiding under its sharply defined creases the promise of freshly baked bread. This one was missing the wheat sheaves otherwise it might well be sitting on my counter and my bannetons well on their way to the thrift store!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm confused.  I assumed the bowl was for the first rise.  In the good old days, the second rise would have been in a baking pan, no?  Conversely, I've never heard of using proofing baskets for the first rise.

Proofing for the first rise is what the bowl would be used for. My DW bought her a glass Pyrex bowl from a thrift store to use while I search for the "perfect" bowl. I have found two in my shopping that greatly disappointed after I spotted the crack in the side.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;