• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rose's Silicone Baking Bowl

Hello from another Michigan newcomer!  I'm still getting used to posting on egullet.

I purchased Rose's Silicone Baking Bowl for use as a non-metal double boiler to make lemon curd.  It is supposed to fit over a pot but not touch the hot water below.  It is 7-1/2 inches around the rim and I have a pot that the rim nestles into.  My problem is the bowl's height is 3-1/4 inches and my pot is 3-1/2 inches in height, so the bottom of the bowl touches the water.  I asked about this in a blog on the www.realbakingwithrose.com website but there has been no response to my query, and I have not found a deeper pot with 7-1/2 inch rim elsewhere.  Does anyone on the egullet Forum have any information on this bowl or know where I can get a pot that's at least deep enough to use this bowl.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

I have to admit that I hadn't heard of this bowl, although I adore Rose Levy Beranbaum's cookbooks. In case I'm not the only one in the dark about the baking bowl, I'll post a link. Is this what you have?

HIC Kitchen Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Baking Bowl Double Boiler, European-Grade Silicone, Red, 1.5-Quarts (6-Cups) Capacity (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

We're a pretty big group of enablers and problem-solvers here, so I think someone should be able to help you. Me, I'll just say "welcome to eGullet!" If you have questions about where or how to post, feel free to PM me or another staff member.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I've been using a stainless steel bowl plopped on top of a pot . . . what does silicone bring to the party?

Also curious what makes it a good double boiler but reviewers on Amazon seem to like it for melting chocolate in the microwave.  I guess you could easily remove leftover chocolate by letting it cool, then flexing the bowl to release.  

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Also curious what makes it a good double boiler but reviewers on Amazon seem to like it for melting chocolate in the microwave.  I guess you could easily remove leftover chocolate by letting it cool, then flexing the bowl to release.  

That seems to be the big draw. 

• Like 1

oil seem to adhere to plastic ,

making plastic bowels a bit more difficult to throughly clean than metal

does oil adhere in a similar fashion to silicone ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

oil seem to adhere to plastic ,making plastic bowels a bit more difficult to thoroughly clean than metal

does oil adhere in a similar fashion to silicone ?

Yes, and silicone doesn't seem like the ideal material for a double boiler since it doesn't transfer heat as well as metal.  This thing seems like a solution in search of a problem.  Is the rim stabilized with something sturdy, at least?  The last thing I want is a flexible/floppy/shapeshifting bowl of hot goo.

That said, if you have a specific bowl and specific pot that you want to use as a double boiler but they don't quite fit as desired, use aluminum foil to build a ring around the pot rim to decrease diameter and hold the bowl higher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello and welcome!

I use her recipe (from the cake bible) for lemon curd, and I never  make it in a double boiler; I make it over direct heat (induction burner) and stir constantly.  Mix the yolks and sugar well then add the juice and butter and away you go :)!  At work, we make 10x batches every week, the recipe scales up beautifully.

• Like 3