• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Looks so delicious - can you describe it a bit more, please? 

Sure. These are the vegetables I found at the market this morning. They are all cleaned in water with a pH of 11.5, peeled and trimmed to similar sizes. Each vegetable is salted and cooked individually, first in olive oil, then finished with a ladle or so of chicken stock. The vegetables cooked in this manner are small onions, peeled and halved (first skin only, the second is removed after cooking); halved carrots, whole baby turnips, turned and quartered artichokes, daikon radish, red radish, and celery. There are sliced potatoes, which are cooked in chicken fat; chestnuts, which are sautéed in frothy butter with dried fennel and bacon; blanched garlic cloves; slices of wild apple, pear and quince, which are seared in clarified butter and deglazed with chicken stock; salsify and swiss chard stems, which are cooked in a blanc; blanched leaves of cabbage; and thickly sliced bacon seared in olive oil and butter and sliced into lardons. All of the vegetable cooking juices are skimmed and reduced and added to a chicken jus which then glazes the vegetables and fruits. It is finished with Tuscan olive oil.  

• Like 1

David Thompson's mussaman curry really is something special. Every cook needs to try this wonderful recipe from 'Thai Food' for themselves. Though be warned it may spoil you for average high street Thai food for the rest of your life. This one was a duck curry.

I have the book, but haven't made anything from it.  Can you describe the curry?  Hot, spicy, flavorful, etc?

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Seared scallops on angel hair pasta with a Thai inspired peanut sauce

4a8b28f7c1c0be77dbf14f4c0a244ac6.jpg

While waiting for my wife to get home, I did the scallops SV 50c x 60 min then seared when she got home. Not sure you get much from that exercise but they came out med rare. I was afraid to get much more surface sear for fear of over cooking

those sound and look great, scoobie.  BTW, I'm BFL yet again.

• Like 1

• Steamed salmon – dressed w/ salt, rice bran oil, hon mirin, black pepper, juice & rind of a ripening fresh calamansi lime before being steamed.

• Asparagus, put in w/ the salmon halfway through steaming.

• Baby potatoes & rose finn fingerlings simply boiled in salted water then tossed w/ butter.

DSCN2904b_800.jpg

• Like 8

Babbo's oxtails with egg noodles and roasted artichoke hearts..

Photo is too large and I can't figure out why.  Sorry about that.

I would love to see the picture!  If you took it with smart phone, try emailing it to yourself and there will be a prompt asking if you want it small, medium, etc. 

Did you use fresh or frozen artichoke hearts?

I would love to see the picture!  If you took it with smart phone, try emailing it to yourself and there will be a prompt asking if you want it small, medium, etc. 

Did you use fresh or frozen artichoke hearts?

I wish I HAD taken it with my phone!  I've tried a couple of other things.  Let's see if I can paste it here.  Nope.  

ANYWAY, I recently bought at Costco a large jar of whole, not marinated artichokes and that's what I used for this.  I'd battered and fried them previously and they were really good.  This was also...and, of course, MUCH healthier :)  The ones I don't use right away, I wrap tightly in plastic and freeze in a zipping bag.

That corn soup looks great but no cooking here today. The kids were gone at lunchtime and will be going out again tonight so I got some Croissants, Deli cold cuts and cheeses, and Panera soups (Potato and tomato) so everyone can have whatever whenever. There is enough for tomorrow too.

• Like 2

Prawncrackers

Where  did you get your molds?   I have the silicon molds and never have achieved that color?  But I have only made them 2-3 times!!

Did you coat the inside with beeswax?

Cheers  Paul

I picked up four moulds in a shop on Dotonbori, Osaka kitchen town. I wish I bought more! They weren't expensive either. I don't think you can get the right colour with silicone ones, not without sacrificing the correct texture inside. Yes I used beeswax. I also don't think you can get the right crispy crunch without using the 'white oil' mixture of beeswax and butter.

I have the book, but haven't made anything from it.  Can you describe the curry?  Hot, spicy, flavorful, etc?

All of the above and a lot more. Aromatic like a red curry, not as hot but more deep with earthy cumin, clove, coriander, nutmeg rounded off with peanut.

eGullet always serves me well when I am looking for inspiration, especially when I am sick. Many I couldn't begin to replicate, but some are doable! Thank you everyone for sharing!

After seeing patrickamoray's marmalade chicken, it gave me the perfect supper when I was down with a cold and feeling lethargic...I used a mix of orange AND ginger marmalade. The marinade kept sliding off the chicken even after I scored the legs, so I spooned it a couple of times. It turned out lovely. Thanks, Patrick!

MarmaladeChicken0269.jpg

I was trying a new spicy chicken / fish breading - Lefty's. Woooweeee! Had no idea it was SO spicy! Great coating  and still tasty, but it was not the right coating for delicate pickerel...

SpicyPickerel0267.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sardines wrapped in grape leaves

Screen_shot_2014_10_18_at_5_38_52_PM.png

That's a lovely dish.

Three sardines is exactly the right amount! I had mine smeared with gojugaru and grilled over charcoal. I also grilled an aubergine for nasu dengaku. You know I've eaten a lot of fish in my life and there aren't many things tastier than the humble grilled sardine. So cheap too, £1.70 for three.

image.jpgimage.jpg

• Like 11

How I miss sardines! I love them wrapped in grape leaves. I also like prawncrackers dinner very much. Sometimes I can find some decent at union mkt, imported from Portugal, but only if I get at the right day.

Simple and quick meal here.

Collards, some braised beef shank, mushrooms and broccoli and some left over chinese roasted pork we took out for lunch.

image.jpg

• Like 8