• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Wow.  I assume you made the ravioli yourself?  And as c oliver said, what's the sauce, mm84321?  

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks! The ravioli are filled with foie gras terrine. It melts a bit once cooked so when you cut the ravioli you get a slight "oozing" effect of the fat, which mixes into the sauce. The sauce is a chicken consomme reduced to a glaze, then emulsified with butter and a fairly good amount of foie gras fat. It is finished with a few drops of white truffle oil. Great dish. 

• Like 6

Thanks! The ravioli are filled with foie gras terrine. It melts a bit once cooked so when you cut the ravioli you get a slight "oozing" effect of the fat, which mixes into the sauce. The sauce is a chicken consomme reduced to a glaze, then emulsified with butter and a fairly good amount of foie gras fat. It is finished with a few drops of white truffle oil. Great dish. 

Are terrine and pate' not the same thing?  Always confusing.  Do you make it?  I guess you must if you have "fat" at the end.  What's your recipe for your ravioli?  Do you use any semolina?  Do you make or buy your truffle oil?  So many questions :)  TIA

Yes, I make the terrine. It starts with soaking and deveining the lobes of foie gras, seasoning with a specific ratio of salt, white pepper and sugar (to keep the color) then letting cure for about 18 hours. The liver is cooked in a terrine inside of a bain marie in a low temperature oven until the internal temperature reaches around 37C. It is then left to rest, pressed overnight, then sealed in its fat and aged for at least 2 weeks. The ravioli dough is 00 flour with egg yolks and a water made with saffron for the color. The truffle oil is from Tartufi di Fassia...the best quality I have used. 

• Like 2

Yes, I make the terrine. It starts with soaking and deveining the lobes of foie gras, seasoning with a specific ratio of salt, white pepper and sugar (to keep the color) then letting cure for about 18 hours. The liver is cooked in a terrine inside of a bain marie in a low temperature oven until the internal temperature reaches around 37C. It is then left to rest, pressed overnight, then sealed in its fat and aged for at least 2 weeks. The ravioli dough is 00 flour with egg yolks and a water made with saffron for the color. The truffle oil is from Tartufi di Fassia...the best quality I have used. 

I'm lucky that the foie I get has never needed to be deveined and the recipe I use (again for searing) doesn't need any soaking.

I need to know more about the foie.  The foie I buy is frozen --and delicious.  You start with the liver straight out of the bird.  I think you should start a thread that documents the process :)

• Like 1

I need to know more about the foie.  The foie I buy is frozen --and delicious.  You start with the liver straight out of the bird.  I think you should start a thread that documents the process :)

Shelby, I used to be able to get fresh in California before the ban two years ago.  I had some in the freezer (cut lobes in half, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then FoodSavered).  The only place now in the states is Hudson Valley Foie Gras.

I'm lucky that the foie I get has never needed to be deveined and the recipe I use (again for searing) doesn't need any soaking.

You can even make a quick terrine by using sauté foie slices, in that case you don't even need to devein. Of course it's going to have a more pronounced flavor.

Mm84321, a dish to die for. Foie gras is my greatest weakness.

Edited by Franci (log)

So, i have some of the hottest peppers i have ever tried.. So damn hot, i think the least strong one are the habaneros.  I think the majority were ghost peppers. 

15451827791_cb53ae4d57_z.jpg

15451827981_97979832ae_z.jpg

Orange, carrot, garlic, cumin, brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar and salt. 

15268273310_596279f7c4_z.jpg

I made a ton of hot sauce.. 

15268212539_5ddc07a8f3_z.jpg

• Like 7

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

This guy gives my mother all of these hot peppers each year and I just make him some sauce. I would love to know which type the are. I usually prefer just habaneros as I love the flavor. This year had a different variety that perhaps I should have assorted and gone single varietal sauce. Though, it is really nice. I could have done single pepper sauce and then a mixed one too. But, I was not feeling like putting in all the effort

I took a small slice out of each pepper. One of them really was

The hottest pepper I ever tried. The endorphins were rocking. It felt a little meth labby for a sec

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 3

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

I rarely needed to devein foie gras I'd got from Hudson Valley in the past.  Or I just simply didn't bother.

That was my experience also, ray.  And when I have the luxury of foie I just keep it super simple. A quick, hot sear, some toasted brioche, some grilled fruit and a simple salad.

I can't remember if I posted about this turkey or not.  Our hunter friend that stays with us shot a turkey this past spring which we froze.  When he stayed with us last week, my husband smoked it.  I made some more sandwiches out of it last night.  Great flavor, but wild turkey is dry. 

Baked beans and quickles on the side.

photo.JPG

• Like 7

mayo would fix that dryness, as would some bacon a bit on the fatty side.

Ive never had Wild Turkey. even the drink.  there are about 12 wild turkeys that waddle by where I live about now.

come right up to the front window to say hello to my Cat   ( pic on L ).  very bold.

they disappear just before thanksgiving, but always come back next year.

have not convinced any of them to 'stay' for the festivities.

• Like 4

I think I see a scorpion or two in that pile.   I bet that sauce was awesome. 

And Lemon Drops and Fataliis too. Bet that sauce was good. Looks like you have enough to last a while.

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

So, i have some of the hottest peppers i have ever tried.. So damn hot, i think the least strong one are the habaneros.  I think the majority were ghost peppers. 

15451827791_cb53ae4d57_z.jpg

15451827981_97979832ae_z.jpg

Orange, carrot, garlic, cumin, brown sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar and salt. 

15268273310_596279f7c4_z.jpg

I made a ton of hot sauce.. 

15268212539_5ddc07a8f3_z.jpg

A WMD.

• Like 4

Yeh, hope it doesn't corrode the container. I think I'd have gone with glass. ;-)

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Made ribs for diner last night on the smoker.  Served with fresh corn and snap peas.  The ribs were just done with rub and no sauce as an experiment.  I'm going back to sauce about 30 minutes before the end of the cook.

lmr-plated-oct.jpg

• Like 7

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• Chinese mushrooms (dried, rehydrated; mix of thick-cap "flower pattern" ones (花菇), and thinner-cap ones (香菇)), bamboo shoots (separately simmered in hot water for a bit first) and wood-ear fungus (dried; rehydrated & trimmed) slow-braised (stove-top) with sliced young ginger & smashed garlic sautéed in peanut oil, mutenka shiromiso (slurried w/ water), fermented beancurd w/ chilli & wine (slurried w/ water), jozo mirin, then hon mirin later; seasoning adjusted.  Eaten w/ chopped barely blanched wong nga pak (Napa cabbage).

DSCN2818b_800.jpg

• More chicken curry (see here) w/ fine rice noodles.

DSCN2815a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

If you are searing the foie gras, it is not necessary to devein, and would actually hurt the structural integrity of the liver. For terrines/torchons it is absolutely necessary to remove the veins. However, there is a recipe for foie gras confit which has you poach a whole liver inside the fat of another liver, then leave it in the fridge for a month. Somehow during aging the veins completely dissolve. 

If you are searing the foie gras, it is not necessary to devein, and would actually hurt the structural integrity of the liver. For terrines/torchons it is absolutely necessary to remove the veins. However, there is a recipe for foie gras confit which has you poach a whole liver inside the fat of another liver, then leave it in the fridge for a month. Somehow during aging the veins completely dissolve. 

Again, I'll keep mine for searing only.  Attached is a picture from Borkonyha Wine Kitchen in Budapest.  Actually I'll attach the link because you can see we had it for both our main and our dessert :)  They got a Michelin star after I made the res and before we ate there.  Best meal of our lives.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/972616

• Like 1

Again, I'll keep mine for searing only.  Attached is a picture from Borkonyha Wine Kitchen in Budapest.  Actually I'll attach the link because you can see we had it for both our main and our dessert :)  They got a Michelin star after I made the res and before we ate there.  Best meal of our lives.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/972616

Ah.  I do the same with foie gras – I do the simple sear.  (Oh! the aroma! Yum!!!)  I have removed large veins from some pieces on occasion while trying to keep from "tearing up" too much of the membrane covering the liver, on occasion.  I have not made foie gras terrines or torchon and, if truth be told, don't take to them that much, preferring to keep the liver "intact" and do the simple sear instead.  I've got torchons from Hudson Valley before too - they tended to languish in the fridge...

p.s. Lovely meal, c oliver!

Edited by huiray (log)

I actually prefer terrine to seared. I think that preparation really captures the essence of foie gras. On a piece of toasted baguette with a touch of fleur de sel and I am very happy. Though, I do enjoy the texture of a well seared piece from time to time. Also, sous vide can produce a very interesting texture. Rather silky. 56C for 10 minutes, then 66C for 14, chill, then poach to reheat in red wine or coffee, and that is very good too.  

• Like 5