• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Ah.  I do the same with foie gras – I do the simple sear.  (Oh! the aroma! Yum!!!)  I have removed large veins from some pieces on occasion while trying to keep from "tearing up" too much of the membrane covering the liver, on occasion.  I have not made foie gras terrines or torchon and, if truth be told, don't take to them that much, preferring to keep the liver "intact" and do the simple sear instead.  I've got torchons from Hudson Valley before too - they tended to languish in the fridge...

p.s. Lovely meal, c oliver!

Thanks, kid.  It was simply perfect :)

I made some Seolleongtang (Korean Beef Bone Soup) yesterday. Charlie and Cassie had some last night and I froze the rest for his mom when she gets here for the wedding in a few weeks.  On Wed. I plan some pork hocks, navy beans and greens. Here is one of the kids recent engagement pictures. 

1604518_10101867417187951_12270317725386

• Like 9

Crazy marbling! This is premium Hida beef. Well, why not, when one is visiting pretty Takayama (Japan)?!

You cook the meat yourself on a curved grate to your liking. This plate of meat is 300gr for 2 of us and we were very full afterwards. In Argentina we had to split one steak, standard size there is 400gr!

(this series: http://tinyurl.com/nc5gs6x)

i6juWq3J7cjig.JPG

iC1vKJn3M4NYy.JPG

• Like 7

I just returned from the Selay, Bitterroot wilderness and there was a bumper crop of huckleberries. The forest grouse have been gorging on the berries for the last five or six weeks. These birds were everywhere. I marinated this one in huckleberries juice overnight and rubbed homemade pesto on it before putting it in the Dutch oven with potatoes onions and morels. These are some of the fattest birds I've ever seen up there before. There was no chance of getting a finished photo after two hungry hunters had hiked 8 miles that day, sorry.

IMG_20140917_193051.jpg

IMG_20140918_173207.jpg

• Like 10

Great find, Willie! How big is that grouse? It looks quite a bit larger than our ruffed grouse, which weigh in well short of a pound.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just returned from the Selay, Bitterroot wilderness and there was a bumper crop of huckleberries. The forest grouse have been gorging on the berries for the last five or six weeks. These birds were everywhere. I marinated this one in huckleberries juice overnight and rubbed homemade pesto on it before putting it in the Dutch oven with potatoes onions and morels. These are some of the fattest birds I've ever seen up there before. There was no chance of getting a finished photo after two hungry hunters had hiked 8 miles that day, sorry.

Wow!  You get morels in the fall.  That's incredible.

That grouse was about a pound and a half. The morels were picked back in June in the McCall Idaho area and then dried. There's also the blue grouse which is not as common as the forest grouse and they can get up around 2 1/2 pounds. We would usually see four to eight grouse in the morning and roughly the same in the evening. As you can see they have a lot of breast meat.IMG_20140916_110932.jpg

Edited by Willie (log)
  • Like 2

20141005_175639_zpsef732f90.jpg

Sundays dinner, a lovely Dutch Hachee  with boil potatoes, peas and pickles.

20141006_192958_zps74f8dfdd.jpg

Monday dinner, well this is the left overs from our feast of  yummy stuff.   The recipes I have comes from the net ,  my mum´s friend who grew up in China and a  woman  I know  who's both name  means  Cherry,   Finnish and  Chinese  ( surname ).  So there is pau,  chicken spring rolls, pork spring rolls,  beef skewers ( that is from a cookbok I have) , potsticker  and steamed dumplings and  in this case just soy as dipping sauce. We did have a few other choices at the table.

20141006_193111_zpsb09ddd08.jpg

Inside the pau, YUM.

• Like 10

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

In Boston for the weekend.

4 lbs of hen-of-the-woods, harvested from the front yard:

maitake_whole.jpg

Cleaned and sliced:

maitake_chopped.jpg

Cream of mushroom soup:

cream_of_mushroom_soup.jpg

Count neck clams from Barnstable:

count_neck_clams.jpg

Pasta with white clam sauce:

pasta_clam_sauce.jpg

Tongue of fire beans, grown in the town we were staying in:

beans_unshelled.jpg

Shelled:

beans_shelled.jpg

In a Tuscan style salad:

beans_cooked.jpg

• Like 12

In Boston for the weekend.

4 lbs of hen-of-the-woods, harvested from the front yard:

attachicon.gifmaitake_whole.jpg

Tongue of fire beans, grown in the town we were staying in:

attachicon.gifbeans_unshelled.jpg

Shelled:

attachicon.gifbeans_shelled.jpg

Those maitake mushrooms look great.   "front yard" ?

I suppose those beans were too old to cook as whole beans?  Would you cook these whole (and others) - i.e. other than the usual "green beans" - after topping-and-tailing/destringing when younger/tender?  (I do. :-) )

Yes - front yard! The amount is staggering - new ones popping up daily. 

They come up under a 120 year old oak tree that is dying, which is apparently an environment that maitake love.

(If we don't harvest them, the local landscapers come around and just come right up on the lawn and take them.)

• Like 1

Pizza last night using my new toy .

Bakerstone%20Pizza%20Oven%20October%206t

A Bakerstone Pizza Oven for the grill.

The oven gets up to 800°F depending on your grill.   I have a five burner grill.

Baked two pizzas, both in less than 4 minutes.

Sausage%20and%20Mushroom%20October%206th

First up was one topped with sausage and mushrooms.

The oven is hotter in the back so the pizza needs to be 1/4 turned every 45 seconds.

After two turns.

Really happy with the crust.

Second Pizza went into the oven immediately after the first came out.  No need to wait.

In fact, I turned the grill down a little for the second pizza.

Margherita%20Pizza%20October%206th%2C%20

Second was a Margherita Pizza.

After first turn.

Just out of the oven.

Pizza%20Peel%20October%206th%2C%202014%2

My peel was too big for the Bakerstone, and I couldn't find a smaller peel locally, so I made my own. 

• Like 16

I love your homemade pizza peel, Ann--not to mention, such great looking pizza!

Patrick, those mushrooms and those clams.  Jealousy abounds.

More teal again last night.  This time done on the rotisserie.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 12

Pork & shrimp wontons [Prime Food] w/ skinny wonton noodles, blanched romaine lettuce, chopped scallions & a soup from chicken stock simmered w/ small shiitake mushrooms, smashed garlic and a handful of "stock fish" (a kind of small dried anchovies; 青公魚) (see picture).  The mushrooms were retrieved and added to the bowl of noodles, the stock filtered.

DSCN2828a_800.jpg

DSCN2830a_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 6

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments on my beef Burgundy.  Here’s a link to the recipe for those who asked: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/SOUPSandSTEWS/Modern_Beef_Burgundy.html

rotuts – see the link above.  It was a TV recipe (America’s Test Kitchen), not one of the magazines or books.  I can’t for the life of me remember which Burgundy I used.  I know it was inexpensive – maybe Woodbridge?

Shelby – love the combination of potato soup and toasted cheese sandwiches.  You are the only person other than my family who I’ve seen make toasted cheese sandwiches in years.  Everyone seems to only make grilled.  I love both, but sometimes toasted works best!

Basquecook – that is certainly some gorgeous fried chicken!  I love fried chicken and contend that the ‘recipe’ (ingredients) are less important than the method (brining, soaking, coating).  Do you agree?

Ann – gorgeous pizzas!  My favorite is a Margherita – always the true test of a pizza joint.  And your peel is, as always, a work of art.

Mr. Kim made chili for the UVA tailgate on Saturday and we’ve been eating it ever since:

med_gallery_3331_114_9469.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 9

20141008_171526_zpsfd86b358.jpg

Typical Swedish meatball dinner.  YUM:  Lingon and potatoes  and meatballs smothered in  cream gravy.

• Like 9

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. This weekend I cooked a typical spanish stew: potato, níscalos (a kind of mushroom lactarius delicius) and butifarra negra (a kind of blood sausage from Catalonia), made with brown chicken stock. Absolutely amazing!!!

IMG_20141004_150243.jpg

Regards!!

@jesusfdezprieto

Edited by jesusfdezprieto (log)
  • Like 13

72 hour short ribs with a veal stock sauce, mashed potatoes and peas.  I really enjoyed the short ribs this time around -- I think the total lack of seasoning before they went in the bag made a huge difference.  The pictures, as usual, look like they were taken by a 3 year old hopped up on espresso.  

2014-10-02 19.42.43.jpg

2014-10-02 19.44.19.jpg

• Like 10

jesus:  it been  27 years since I had butifarra negra, I remember that to be  nearly as good as the Finnish  blood sausage, but hey I was a child then.