• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 3)

mm84321

Looks fabulous Mgaretz. Tell me more about your smoker. That's pretty wide rig you have and the smoke ring you're getting is amazing. Noted that on your brisket too

It's a pellet grill from Rec Tec  http://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-wood-pellet-grill/    They only sell direct.

The cooking area is 680 sq in. and it has a 40 lb pellet hopper so you can do all day cooks (like this one) without worrying you'll run out of pellets.  What sold it for me is the great temperature control - it holds all day within 5 degrees and usually much better.  I used to have a Traeger, which was sold to me as "set it and forget it" - well that's true if you don't mind 20-70 degree temperature swings.  The Rec Tec is truly set it and forget it.  Construction is super heavy gauge and their customer service is top notch.

• Like 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Mgaretz, I had to move back from my keyboard to prevent drooling on it.   :wub:   If you haven't posted your recipe and methods already in one of the smoking topics, please enlighten us.

Thanks.  Follow the recipe and method at amazingribs.com - here:  http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

People have caught on--they're buying more and more beef short ribs, stoking the meat cases with a regular supply of these hefty chunks.

I seasoned them with "Stubb's" beef rub, seared in olive oil in a Le Creuset stock pot, doused with beef stock and then into a 280 oven for 4 hours.  (Not much further and the bone slips out).  Then reduced the stock, whisked in flour, butter and a few drops of Kitchen Bouquet, (ok, call me a cheater but it gives deep flavor and color to gravy).

Short Rib (671x540).jpg

• Like 5

d GEDC4560_zps2978e707.jpg?t=1402797191

steak sliced and rubbed  through board dressing   Adam Perry Lang Style

GEDC4561_zps5a349beb.jpg?t=1402797240

grilled top sirloin steak with homemade steak spice, beech mushrooms ,  baked potato

GEDC4562_zps9a32ba71.jpg?t=1402797286

• Like 10

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

14244385007_d0f5ddb532_z.jpg

14407712916_ce81492b6b_z.jpg

14451016173_afc9c7eaef_z.jpg

14452684983_12e86562f3_z.jpg

Castelvetrano olive tapenade and fromage blanc crostini

Castelvetrano olive tapenade: Castelvetrano olives, capers, lemon zest, garlic, anchovy, fresh thyme, olive oil, Italian parsley, scallions, cayenne. Adapted from One Good Dish by David Tanis.

14430444114_9a202a9cd4_z.jpg

Roasted asparagus, heirloom tomato salad, soft-cooked egg

Asparagus: asparagus spears tossed with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper, then roasted at 350 F for 10 minutes.

Heirloom tomato salad: chopped heirloom tomatoes dressed in an herb vinaigrette.

Vinaigrette: 1 tablespoon minced shallot macerated in 2 tablespoons lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt for 5 minutes; whisked in 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and some minced oregano leaves and chives, seasoned to taste with black pepper.

14246115857_d25e8f124b_z.jpg

14431246482_39e3b0ef34_z.jpg

14432562285_f6377f79b7_z.jpg

14431276724_dc0e34c06f_z.jpg

Roast chicken, tatsoi with ginger and almonds

Chicken: rubbed with a 1:1 mixture of sea salt and black pepper on the inside and outside, then roasted for 1 hour at 375 F.

Tatsoi: tatsoi, garlic, ginger, olive oil, almonds, water, soy sauce, white pepper and sesame oil.

14246668610_1a0e2a510a_z.jpg

14410150946_63297a3494_z.jpg

14246667478_7e1b5b28b1_z.jpg

14433265935_755fa5a72a_z.jpg

14433265675_bc3ce97af8_z.jpg

14246666738_57b037271c_z.jpg

Strawberries with rose sugar, heavy cream and black pepper

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)
  • Like 8

• Sautéed asparagus.

• Pan-fried King salmon steak. (pre-marinated: salt, black pepper, key lime juice, ripe calamansi juice, ryori-shu, hon-mirin)

• Spring porcini sautéed in the pan residues.

• Fedelini tossed in the pan w/ the deglazed fond & pan residues w/ the porcini.

DSCN1819a_800.jpg

• Like 4

re:  Kitchen Bouquet

I use this all the time    OK just the times I like to do as above.

I dont view this as cheating at all.   its a fine time saver when used judiciously,  

Dinner last night was Breakfast ReDux:

Tots, from the BV-XL:

BV Tots.jpg

I micro the fz tots until warm, the 425 until crunchy.  these are TJ's generic.  Stop & Shop generic are

fine with me too.

RB sandwich, as per breakfast.  

Sand tots.jpg

the bun was now 10 hours old or so.  still excellent, but not the warm from the bakery deliciousness as before

:sad: Tomorrow AM Ill do the final experiment :  RB Sand w 24 H's old bun.

:biggrin:

tot and F.Fries get the -aise treatment.  mayonnaise this time and most times.

too bad Hellman's /' Best Foods does not make Hollandaise or Bearnaise, or other -saise's

I guess it would be too expensive for their market, with all that butter and yolks in it.

too bad . Id gobble it up if it was decent.  Since I have to make my own, that puts a limit on the amount I make

:sad:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

20140616_1714041_zps8e1e8b5a.jpg

My daughter thought that I was annoying, taking pictures of the food when it should be in her belly asap.  We had Russian  pan , god knows how Russian it really is, but I have recipe of it dating back to 1921 , then it was made of chopped beef.

20140616_171415_zps2ceb9003.jpg

You layer the food up like a dart board,  bulls eye is  Smetana or sour cream, then chopped gurkin , pickled beetroot ,  ground beef  fried crispy with onions and lots of black pepper and then  boiled and butter fried potatoes.  It is really yummy and yes  my husband and daughter had peas instead of gurkin. A day with out peas is a sad day for my daughter, she could  eat them for breakfast if I let her.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Kids got off at 5 today so I planned dinner for 6 but they decided to get rentals for the guys in the wedding and didn't get home until almost 8 so everything was held for a couple of hours.  I think the rice suffered the most but everyone liked it anyway. Stuffed dates were a big hit too.

I was given an Italian cookbook for Father's Day so all the recipes came from it today.
Wine was Valpolicella which I had not had in almost 40 years but used to be one of my favorites.

Salad was mixed greens with candied walnuts, shaved parmesan and pears poached in red wine, , honey and cinnamon.

Appetizer was dates stuffed with  ricotta and wrapped in proscuitto.

Meatballs made with ricotta and sauce made from scratch

Risotto with pancetta,  mushrooms, onions, red wine and chicken stock. 

DSCN1476_zps69d43d19.jpg

DSCN1481_zpsa86bf5fb.jpg

DSCN1483_zps03b93613.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

rotuts: occasionally I'll stop by the Papaya King near my apartment and order some tater tots fresh from the deep-fryer, topped with fried peppers and onion. one of my guilty (food) secrets. :wink:

14440465714_1661863094_z.jpg

14254940649_6f5e0b8002_z.jpg

Radishes, chicken skin chicharrón, crispy bacon, peach chutney

The radishes were blanched, then fried in bacon drippings (that had a little black mustard seeds tossed in until the seeds started to spit and pop).

The peach chutney is from Beth's Farm Kitchen.

14254963669_c48217d5e5_z.jpg

14418483006_39ff52ec01_z.jpg

14441608515_47dea088e3_z.jpg

14441608185_618b7aa6a6_z.jpg

14255146997_dc96145f87_z.jpg

Chicken salad sandwich (leftover roast chicken, chive mayonnaise, celery salt, black pepper, finely minced scallion, finely diced celery), heirloom tomatoes

• Like 5

Fried rice.

Duck fat, chopped scallions, 3 farm eggs scrambled in situ, 3-day-old rice, Redmond salt, chiffonaded Tuscan kale, halved snow peas.  The pan is covered for a couple of minutes at the end before serving w/ baechu kimchi.

DSCN1838a_800.jpg

On the way there.....

DSCN1828a_600.jpgDSCN1831a_600.jpgDSCN1835a_600.jpg

• Like 3

When you have written in situ I have always assumed you meant in with the rice; that's what I've done the few times I've made fried rice, with rather poor results. Did you scramble the eggs and then add the rice to the same pan, or do them separately and then add to the rice at the end?

When you have written in situ I have always assumed you meant in with the rice; that's what I've done the few times I've made fried rice, with rather poor results. Did you scramble the eggs and then add the rice to the same pan, or do them separately and then add to the rice at the end?

I scramble them in the pan then add the rice in to the pan and mix it with the scrambled eggs and whatever else (and whatever else that follows).  I also usually add the rice before the eggs are set.  The rice often absorbs some (but definitely not all) of the yolk and is then colored yellow-ish.  As for "in situ" - well, I'm a chemist by training...so I always mentally think of "in situ" in the sense with which the phrase is used in chemistry to describe how a reaction is carried out (or, in this case, of how the fried rice is formed in the reaction of the components as they are added together in the same vessel = pan).

Other times I make a simple omelette (with beaten eggs) separately, chop it up, then add that in towards the end. A recent example from a few days ago here.

p.s. The eggs were allowed to crisp up more than I like before scrambling them with the spatula in this last example above because I stopped to take a picture.  Thirty seconds - but that was enough time for the whites to set a little more than I like at the edges of the pan before marbling/scrambling them.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Tonight, I got back late. Tired. Hungry.

Threw together a quick and simple pork kidney with mushrooms and a garlic, shallot, chilli pepper, whisky and wholegrain mustard sauce finished off with some Chinese chives I happened to have and needed to use. Served with rice. And some whisky. And some more whisky.

Pork Kidney w Mushroms in a garlic, shallot, whisky and mustard sauce 2.jpg

Pork Kidney w Mushroms in a garlic, shallot, whisky and mustard sauce.jpg

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

liuzhou

excellent pairings there. new to me.  makes a bit of sense now:

jibber jabber.jpg

JJ's FW made no sense to me at all in college.  Ulysses, fine.  This was in my mind is a confidence 

scam.  

Invented and written to keep tenured professors off the streets, enclosed in High End Liberal Arts

Colleges ( like mine ) and various Top End Graduate Schools. Where they belong and thrive

:huh:

nobody has ever made any sense of this book. Nobody.  Claims are routinely made.

your 'Food Pairings' place the duo in a new light.

:biggrin:

now I see the point.  Its the Scotch.  All Scotch.

Phantasmagoric.

thanks.

20140617_165535_zps1818e305.jpg

Dinner was ketchup free, chicken sloppy joes.  I dont like most recipes of sloppy joes I gotten due to the mass amount of ketchup.  But this  made from my head and used my tasted buds, turned into a Mexican feel  with tinned tomatoes and some  chipolte .  Little one had pasta to hers and ignore the fact there was no peas today!

The bread is home made semolina sourdough bread.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

When I read 'farm eggs', it's like the writer implies that some eggs don't come from a farm (yes, I know some are foraged)...

It's shorthard for free-range eggs.

Most commercial eggs do not really come from farms, they come from battery-cage hens.  Eh, I buy supermarket eggs too, but for the most part I make a distinction between what I usually get "during season" from the folks at farmers' markets and when I cannot.  FWIW those eggs I referred to above (and most of my eggs during spring-summer-fall) come from Schacht Farms, on occasion from other free-range breeders.  During mid-winter Schacht Farms would not have eggs available because it is too cold for their hens to lay eggs.  I get my eggs from other places where their hens are kept in heated barns, or from the supermarket then.