• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Lisa Shock

"Modernist Cuisine: The Art and Science of Bread"

85 posts in this topic

On 9/28/2016 at 11:03 AM, rotuts said:

its possible

Buy Canadienne  !

or find a Friend N of the Border !

Book Running, the new kind of Drug running???

Good thing I live close to the border, going to have to jump on over and grab my copy there!

1 person likes this

"Sense Of Urgency" -Thomas Keller

86ed Chef's Advice

Thanks for the update. I'm listening to it now.

Just picked up Modernist Cuisine recently (ended up buying Modernist Cuisine at Home first) and am blown away. I'm going to simply have to buy Modernist Bread.

Just a heads up, looks like amazon.de and amazon.co.uk have the book reduced atm to 408.52€ or 425 GBP:

https://www.amazon.de/MODERNIST-BREAD-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058

not sure if that's an temporary thing or a permanent price reduction. This is as far as I see a bit cheaper for the europeans than the canadian amazon offer a few months ago.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, Haldir said:

not sure if that's an temporary thing or a permanent price reduction. This is as far as I see a bit cheaper for the europeans than the canadian amazon offer a few months ago.

after telling myself I definitely wouldn't buy from them again (after the errors in the first MC & the shipping damage when they sent out MC@H naked), I've bought.

There must be crack addicts with more self control than me!

5 people like this

“Do you not find that bacon, sausage, egg, chips, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread and a cup of tea; is a meal in itself really?” Hovis Presley.

On 2/24/2017 at 4:46 PM, chefmd said:

Update from Modernist Bread blog.  You can see cover photos but publication date was pushed back to fall 2017.

I had missed this update, but honestly I'm glad it was delayed. I anticipate running my oven full tilt after it arrives, and summer is not an ideal time to be doing that in Oklahoma!

3 people like this

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

a note of sorts :

some time ago :

Odd:

Modernist Baking Amazon  USA  vs CA :

USA      $ 593    list    625     USD

CAN     $ 532     list    810     CDN

and i just checked this :

https://www.amazon.ca/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494194006&sr=8-1&keywords=modernist+bread

$ 724 CDN

to those of our Friends N of the Border :

are they honoring your lower price ?

Yikes !

I'm not north of the border but almost certainly Jeff is honoring the guarantee.  But the amazon guarantee is if the preorder price goes down you get the lower price.

For those who pre-ordered at CA$532, I think that they are quite safe.

As for the US, the current amazon price is $545.37.  My price is $500.  The release date listed is 10/24/2017.

1 person likes this

On 5/7/2017 at 6:01 PM, rotuts said:

a note of sorts :

some time ago :

Odd:

Modernist Baking Amazon  USA  vs CA :

USA      $ 593    list    625     USD

CAN     $ 532     list    810     CDN

and i just checked this :

https://www.amazon.ca/Modernist-Bread-Science-Nathan-Myhrvold/dp/0982761058/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494194006&sr=8-1&keywords=modernist+bread

$ 724 CDN

to those of our Friends N of the Border :

are they honoring your lower price ?

Yikes !

yup - preorder price still reads $532

• Similar Content

• By Rugby
      Hello fellow eGullet members. I stumbled across this forum while looking for ways to improve my food here.
      I've been a technical type all my life and started assembling my kitchen 7 years ago piece by piece after quitting living from hotels for the previous 12 years.  
      I currently enjoy smoked foods and tweaking local / regional recipes by applying technique instead of hard boiling or large batch frying.  So far it's allowed me to enjoy and reinforce my knowledge of ingredients.
      Thank you everyone contributing here and those folks who laid the frameworks for dispelling myths and providing understanding of ingredients and flavours.
      Best regards and bon-appetit,
      Warren

• By boilsover
      My Breville BSO 800XL  just died on it's second birthday, after only *extremely* light use at my beach house.  Just won't power up.

Reading online, I learned that a common failure mode is the thermal fuse blowing -WHICH IS DESIGNED TO BLOW AT <450F.  This is a $3 part at Radio Shack, and there is a detailed instruction on how to replace it here:  http://virantha.com/2014/03/02/fix-your-breville-smart-oven-by-replacing-the-thermal-fuse/

So I guess I'll give fixing it myself a try and report back.  Has anyone here done this repair?  Was it successful?  And why would Breville use a fuse that is lower than the appliance's top heat settings?

Thanks!
    • By ltjazz
      Hey all,

I've made thicker and creamier sorbets with 25% to 35% sugar strained fruit purees and sugar, syrups, and other stabilizers that have worked well. However, because it's so much fruit and little to no water it can be an expensive project.

I am trying to make "Water Ice" or "Italian Ice" in my home ice cream machine. Think of textures similar to Rita's Water Ice, Court Pastry Shop, or Miko's in Chicago. It eats much lighter than a sorbet but isn't really icy, but it's also not thick like sorbet. Ritas uses "flavoring" and sugar, while the other two use fruit juice. I'm thinking of thinning the strained fruit juice with water and adding a stabilizer, but I'm having trouble getting this in my home ice cream machine without it freezing solid like granita.

Can anyone suggest a way to use real fruit juice, water, and a combination and concentration of stabilizers to get a looser, frozen fruit dessert that isn't icy?
    • By CanadianSportsman
      Greetings,

I've cooked several recipes from Keller's "Bouchon" the last couple of weeks, and have loved them all! At the moment (as in right this minute) I'm making the boeuf Bourguignon, and am a little confused about the red wine reduction. After reducing the wine, herbs, and veg for nearly an hour now, I'm nowhere near the consistancy of a glaze that Keller specifies. In fact, it looks mostly like the veg is on the receiving end of most of it. Is this how the recipe is meant to be? Can anybody tell me what kind of yield is expected? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, kindly. 
    • By Shel_B
      Not sure if the subject line really reflects the situation and my question.

Sweetie made a couple of loaves of soda bread the other day, and cut the top of the loaf in order to make a pattern something like THIS.  However, the pattern or cut mark didn't show on the finished loaf.  I don't know much more other than she said she made the cut "pretty deep."

What might be the cause of the cut mark not showing on the finished loaf?  Thanks!