• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A la minute, d'avance; party food from a tiny kitchen

Plantes Vertes

We will give a party at the end of this month and I'm trying to decide what to feed everyone. There will be perhaps 40 guests, but probably not all at the same time. The main focus of the party will not be the food (that'll be the drink... :biggrin:) but I expect everyone will want something to eat and I am also enjoying the challenge of what to produce.

The catch is, our kitchen facilities are... restricted. We have no oven, only one big pan and one proper knife, two chopping boards, a colander, two small pans, two large bowls, a potato masher, wooden spoons, a microwave, four stovetop burners, a blender. We have a small European-sized fridge-freezer. There's not a lot of counter space.

It would be nice to provide some meat and some veggie choices. The food will have to stand up to sitting out during the party (buffet-style service). My housemates are not into food and I am hardly the world's greatest chef so this stuff will need to be fairly easy to do. We won't be able to store many things prepared long in advance as we need to use the space for day-to-day edibles; on the other hand we don't want to spend the immediate foremath of the party making food in a panic. We want to spend it beautifying ourselves and starting the wine :smile:

We're amenable to buying or renting some equipment but we want to minimise that as we have very limited storage space in the flat; I do actually have far more kitchen gear that I could conceivably get hold of but it's in storage in another city, so preferably not.

I am considering various ideas:

- Just hors d'oeuvres.

- Just desserts (tricky with no oven...).

- A few large plates of picnic-type ingredients - different breads, charcuterie, cheeses, salad. Simplest but also quite boring.

- A couple of filling and easy dishes like stovetop braises with potatoes and a vegetable side. Perhaps a bit difficult to eat in cramped conditions, but cheap and not hard to make.

- A bunch of different salads, including some heavy ones with grains or potatoes. Again, easy, but not very seasonal.

- Mezze.

We have the advantage that our friends are hungry and not fussy so will probably be pretty pleased with whatever we end up making :smile:. I just want to make them really welcome and encourage everyone to come back often.

What type of food would you make for this party?

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)
  • Like 1

If you can have the use of a neighbour's oven, I'd suggest chili, cornbread and a green salad (to be dressed when served, so it won't wilt). Fruit as available over a bought pound cake (or some such) with whipped cream and a juice based sauce. HTH!

• Like 1

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I would go with the hors d'oeuvres idea. For one dish there is a dish called Artichoke Nibblers that is essentially a crustless quiche that is always well received. Would you friends nibble on fresh veggies with dip?

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Spring rolls or summer rolls - some vegetarian, some with shrimp. The rolls don't even have to be cooked, and can be served with a few different dipping sauces. Maybe some Asian lettuce wraps - with ground pork or chicken and a nice sauce.

Here's a starting point for recipes, many more out there of course and you can always tweak them.

Lettuce wraps

http://www.food.com/recipe/p-f-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps-15865

Spring/summer rolls:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/SpringRolls.htm

• Like 1

Since the focus will be drinks, I am with Porthos on appetizers. More specifically one or two bite items that are fine at room temp; more along a tapas theme. These people will have a drink in their hands and need to be able to stand and enjoy a bite or two of various items with ease.

• Like 3

... more along a tapas theme...

I actually thought of tapas while I was writing what I did post. But yes, small easy to eat one-handedly portions.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

You can make a wonderful spread of Italian antipasti ahead and leave at room temp: a variety of marinated vegetables with different dressings, white bean salad, served with some Italian meats and cheeses. You can make one or two soups, put them in pitchers, and have little cups for people to pour them into-- no spoons. A room-temp tortilla espanol. If you can afford it, cold shrimp with pesto.Good bread.. Cookies. Refer to the late Marcella Hazan's books for ideas

• Like 3

I would make a mini panini station, you can always find someone to volunteer and rotate at the task.

Get a nice grill, get different kind of breads: small brioche buns, mini pittas, plain focaccia cut in small squares, piadina. Make interesting fillings and have everything ready. Write a menu with suggestions or guests can come up with their own mix.

You can have also brioche with gelato, or a nice grilled pound cake on the grill to order.

• Like 3

If the wine is the hero of the party, I'd steer away from dishes with heaps of Chili. Wine and heat are not happy bed-fellows. I know the bread/charcuterie/cheese may seem boring but it is good food to have with wine and the bread in particular will soak up the alcohol. If you want to get a bit fancy, get some melon cubes, wrap them in prosciutto and serve on toothpicks.

As a surprise/finishing touch, if you can get some of the box-like take-away Chinese containers, I'd do an easy Asian dish (without heaps of chill) that can be pre-made and heated on one of your hot plates. Use your microwave to make rice (add rice, rinse, put in water so it sits one knuckle above the height of the rice, cook on full for 12 minutes, take rice out, sit for eight minutes and serve). Put more rice in to cook as soon as you take the first lot out to rest. Serve the rice with the Asian dish in the containers. Accept compliments on being clever in feeding people with something substantive after they have had a few wines.

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 3

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I'd go for the picnic-y type cheeses, breads, etc. I guess I'm not easily bored.

Me too.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I like the idea of a hot or cold smooth soup that can be served from a pitcher, into cups or mugs, without spoons. Or, best of all, shot glasses. Along with the platters of picnic-type cheeses, antipasti, etc. And Franci's suggestion of panini would fit in nicely. Get a small panini grill, or George Foreman-type grill, which you'll be able to put to good use in your small kitchen after the party.

It's also a grand idea to see if you can enlist the kitchen, fridge, etc., of a neighbor. If not, how about getting a cooler and setting it out on the balcony if you have one or, if you don't, in a bedroom or something to chill foods, wines, drinks.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I agree that soups are a great way to infuse some interesting flavors into the mix. From a logistical standpoint, speaking as a host of many gatherings, I would not ignore the maxim "fluid in/fluid out". Especially since the party is drinks centric.

• Like 2

Since people are coming hungry, and might want something filling and savory to cushion the drinks--

- Chicken liver pate. I've made something like this, only with shallots, sage, thyme, and tiny bit of lavender. With this recipe, I'd play it safe and sub white wine for the red.
http://recipes.aarp.org/recipes/chicken-liver-pacirctegrave

- Some kind of warm meatballs appetizer. They may sound corny, but people gobble 'em up at parties. I don't have a good recipe. Does anybody else?

- Herbed Sundried Tomatoes. I must make this dish for half the potlucks I go to. I gently fold chunks of mild goat cheese (Laura Chenel's Chevre) or feta cheese into the mix before service. I accompany it with slices of crusty bread. People love it and always ask me the recipe. The tomatoes can be cooked 2-3 days ahead, if you like, and stored in the fridge. Here:
http://www.callwild.com/recipe.php?id=1

I'd advise against mixing wine and a desserts theme. If you do, the wine has to be the sweeter than the dessert, or the combination is blah.

good luck with your party!

• Like 1

The meatballs could go in a slow cooker which would not take up an element.

Greek meatballs are good and easy -- keep them warm in a slow cooker, chafing dish, fondue pot, what have you, and serve with toothpicks. This is a very typical recipe and you can use all beef or part pork if it's hard to get ground lamb: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/margarets-keftedes-greek-meatballs/

Even easier, if you're near an Ikea, they have frozen meatballs that are good and they can just go right into the microwave to warm up.

• Like 1

Guys, thank you so much for your input. My new problem is obviously being spoilt for choice; I'm going to have to think about throwing more parties.

I will consider how to incorporate as many of your suggestions as possible and let you know what we turn out in the end.

Thanks again!

If you can have the use of a neighbour's oven, I'd suggest chili, cornbread and a green salad (to be dressed when served, so it won't wilt). Fruit as available over a bought pound cake (or some such) with whipped cream and a juice based sauce. HTH!

This oven idea is inspired. We do actually have a good friend as a neighbour and an oven could make life a heck of a lot simpler. Thanks!

I would go with the hors d'oeuvres idea. For one dish there is a dish called Artichoke Nibblers that is essentially a crustless quiche that is always well received. Would you friends nibble on fresh veggies with dip?

This dish sounds superb. I'm thinking artichoke omelette will definitely feature.

Spring rolls or summer rolls - some vegetarian, some with shrimp. The rolls don't even have to be cooked, and can be served with a few different dipping sauces. Maybe some Asian lettuce wraps - with ground pork or chicken and a nice sauce.

Here's a starting point for recipes, many more out there of course and you can always tweak them.

Lettuce wraps
http://www.food.com/recipe/p-f-changs-chicken-lettuce-wraps-15865

Spring/summer rolls:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Appetizers/SpringRolls.htm

Thanks for the links! Spring rolls would certainly be fun and easy to serve.

I'd go for the picnic-y type cheeses, breads, etc. I guess I'm not easily bored.

You know, I'm not really either. This is definitely a strong contender.

Do you have a dutch oven that you can use on the stove top? That would allow some limited 'baking' on the stove.

A nice risotto might work well.

Risotto would be perfect - filling and delicious. Thanks for the idea! Rice is bound to make an appearance now.

Since the focus will be drinks, I am with Porthos on appetizers. More specifically one or two bite items that are fine at room temp; more along a tapas theme. These people will have a drink in their hands and need to be able to stand and enjoy a bite or two of various items with ease.

You're right, I need to consider how people will be able to eat easily. Finger-food is there for a reason...

You can make a wonderful spread of Italian antipasti ahead and leave at room temp: a variety of marinated vegetables with different dressings, white bean salad, served with some Italian meats and cheeses. You can make one or two soups, put them in pitchers, and have little cups for people to pour them into-- no spoons. A room-temp tortilla espanol. If you can afford it, cold shrimp with pesto.Good bread.. Cookies. Refer to the late Marcella Hazan's books for ideas

I am really tempted by Italian food - this would be super-easy and delicious. The soup notion is especially appealing.

I would make a mini panini station, you can always find someone to volunteer and rotate at the task.
Get a nice grill, get different kind of breads: small brioche buns, mini pittas, plain focaccia cut in small squares, piadina. Make interesting fillings and have everything ready. Write a menu with suggestions or guests can come up with their own mix.
You can have also brioche with gelato, or a nice grilled pound cake on the grill to order.

This is genius. I am totally sold on the idea and am definitely going to try and implement it.

If the wine is the hero of the party, I'd steer away from dishes with heaps of Chili. Wine and heat are not happy bed-fellows. I know the bread/charcuterie/cheese may seem boring but it is good food to have with wine and the bread in particular will soak up the alcohol. If you want to get a bit fancy, get some melon cubes, wrap them in prosciutto and serve on toothpicks.

As a surprise/finishing touch, if you can get some of the box-like take-away Chinese containers, I'd do an easy Asian dish (without heaps of chill) that can be pre-made and heated on one of your hot plates. Use your microwave to make rice (add rice, rinse, put in water so it sits one knuckle above the height of the rice, cook on full for 12 minutes, take rice out, sit for eight minutes and serve). Put more rice in to cook as soon as you take the first lot out to rest. Serve the rice with the Asian dish in the containers. Accept compliments on being clever in feeding people with something substantive after they have had a few wines.

Thanks for the advice on the wine/food pairing Nickrey, that's very welcome, and I'm more than likely to rely on your micro-rice scheme. This might well save the day!

I like the idea of a hot or cold smooth soup that can be served from a pitcher, into cups or mugs, without spoons. Or, best of all, shot glasses. Along with the platters of picnic-type cheeses, antipasti, etc. And Franci's suggestion of panini would fit in nicely. Get a small panini grill, or George Foreman-type grill, which you'll be able to put to good use in your small kitchen after the party.

It's also a grand idea to see if you can enlist the kitchen, fridge, etc., of a neighbor. If not, how about getting a cooler and setting it out on the balcony if you have one or, if you don't, in a bedroom or something to chill foods, wines, drinks.

I am also leaning heavily towards soup. Soup and panini would probably be ideal for this very casual event; I love the idea that everyone could choose their filling. And I will certainly try and get my hands on a cooler.

[...] speaking as a host of many gatherings, I would not ignore the maxim "fluid in/fluid out". Especially since the party is drinks centric.

:biggrin: Sage advice!

Since people are coming hungry, and might want something filling and savory to cushion the drinks--

- Chicken liver pate. I've made something like this, only with shallots, sage, thyme, and tiny bit of lavender. With this recipe, I'd play it safe and sub white wine for the red.
http://recipes.aarp.org/recipes/chicken-liver-pacirctegrave

- Some kind of warm meatballs appetizer. They may sound corny, but people gobble 'em up at parties. I don't have a good recipe. Does anybody else?

- Herbed Sundried Tomatoes. I must make this dish for half the potlucks I go to. I gently fold chunks of mild goat cheese (Laura Chenel's Chevre) or feta cheese into the mix before service. I accompany it with slices of crusty bread. People love it and always ask me the recipe. The tomatoes can be cooked 2-3 days ahead, if you like, and stored in the fridge. Here:
http://www.callwild.com/recipe.php?id=1

I'd advise against mixing wine and a desserts theme. If you do, the wine has to be the sweeter than the dessert, or the combination is blah.

good luck with your party!

You're right, desserts will not be a good theme. Scratch that. Meatballs on the other hand...

There's a thought...

Greek meatballs are good and easy -- keep them warm in a slow cooker, chafing dish, fondue pot, what have you, and serve with toothpicks. This is a very typical recipe and you can use all beef or part pork if it's hard to get ground lamb: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/margarets-keftedes-greek-meatballs/

Even easier, if you're near an Ikea, they have frozen meatballs that are good and they can just go right into the microwave to warm up.

We live in a muslim area so lamb is pretty much everywhere - thanks a lot for the recipe! I think this could easily form part of the meat element.

You know, I'm not really either. This is definitely a strong contender.

Consider dressing up your basic bread, cheese, and charcuterie with special condiments and sides.

Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize. :wink:

Such as: various mustards, fig jam, onion jam, quince paste, olive tapenade, halved dried figs, dried apricots, toasted nuts, Spanish piquillo peppers (serve in slivers, they're very flavorful & expensive), sundried tomatoes in olive oil, cornichons, caperberries, chutneys, sliced fresh apples and pears, grapes, honey.

This website has some ideas for matching cheeses:

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/cheese/cheese2/cheese-condiments.asp

Maybe a mesclun salad with a very light dressing of vinaigrette also on the table. People could put together their own small plates of bread, cheese, charcuterie and condiment, with a small bit of green salad on the side.

Edited by djyee100 (log)

May I suggest little ribs? Although sometimes sticky, people love them and you can make them in all different sizes for the perfect finger food, whilst I think of it chicken wings fall into the same category.

On a much easier note and far less preparation - mini smoked salmon blinis with lumpfish caviar or Ikura always seem popular. For the love of g0d get Scottish smoked salmon, Norweigan is dire imo.

Edited by DanMLondon (log)

I'm not mad at the antipasti platters idea. Yes, they're done a lot, but that's because people tend to really enjoy them and they're really forgiving when left out for several hours. You might also consider another crowd-pleaser, bagna cauda. It comes together in minutes, can be made in quantity in advance and hit with a squeeze of fresh lemon upon reheating and you only need to put out some fresh veggies and bread for dunking.

May I suggest little ribs? Although sometimes sticky, people love them and you can make them in all different sizes for the perfect finger food, whilst I think of it chicken wings fall into the same category.

On a much easier note and far less preparation - mini smoked salmon blinis with lumpfish caviar or Ikura always seem popular. For the love of g0d get Scottish smoked salmon, Norweigan is dire imo.

How would you cook the ribs? I like the idea but feel a bit uncertain given kitchen constraints. The pancakes would be brilliant though, thanks!

I'm not mad at the antipasti platters idea. Yes, they're done a lot, but that's because people tend to really enjoy them and they're really forgiving when left out for several hours. You might also consider another crowd-pleaser, bagna cauda. It comes together in minutes, can be made in quantity in advance and hit with a squeeze of fresh lemon upon reheating and you only need to put out some fresh veggies and bread for dunking.

Bagna cauda is a huge yes, great idea!