• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

Thanks! Frogprincess, yes three big banana shallots melted down. I should have mentioned that there was a honey and walnut dressing for that tart too.

Rotuts, Shime Saba is vinegared mackerel sashimi. I like to eat it with avocado.

Edited by Prawncrackers (log)

PC - That tart has me intrigued as well. I'd love to see a recipe or method for that one.

Also - I love these pictures. Especially the Cha Ca La Vong and the Tart. Beautiful. Possibly you could show us a pic of your setup over at The Food Photography Topic.

Edited by pastameshugana (log)

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

PC - That tart has me intrigued as well. I'd love to see a recipe or method for that one.

Also - I love these pictures. Especially the Cha Ca La Vong and the Tart. Beautiful. Possibly you could show us a pic of your setup over at The Food Photography Topic.

The tart is really simple, roll out all butter puff pastry, cut out a round, dock it all over with a fork before baking between two baking sheets. 200C for 15mins. Caramelise your onions beforehand, spread them over the tart, arrange goats cheese and fig. Season and bake again for another 15mins in a lower oven 150C. Let cool a little. I told you it was simple.

I dont really have a setup, it's just a camera! A fairly cheap Olympus SLR with a flash usually bounced off the ceiling. But for these photos I've taken advantage of some decent natural light, unusual as English evenings are typically gloomy. Actually the tart photo was taken on my iPhone 5 and tidied up with the Snapseed app. You can see where I've blurred the edges before posting the photo on Instagram.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Sous-vide lamb chops, baby Shanghai choy and (a rare treat) home made ciabatta. Boy did I wish I still had the use of the Anova unit. The Demi seemed so last year! Just kidding really. The Demi works just fine.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Prawncrackers, everything is so beautifully plated. And the colours so vibrant.

Dinner was suppose to be the almost two pound Porterhouse that I presalted on Monday. But this starter became dinner. Steak will be tonight's dinner.

Grilled%20Brie%20September%2010th%2C%202

Grilled Brie.

Baked Garlic.

Oven roasted tomatoes.

Baguettes%20September%2010th%2C%202013-L

Homemade Baguettes.

• Like 2

Anna N's post gave me a nudge...

A late dinner:

• Roast top sirloin cap / picanha, seasoned with just coarse sea salt and black pepper.

• Sautéed green/light green zucchini sticks.

• Coarse grated ginger and chopped scallion (lots) fried rice.

Yes, every bit of the fat left on the slices was eagerly consumed.

Browned/seared in the pan on all sides first, with vegetable oil; fat-side done last. Finished in the oven.

DSCN9472a_1k.jpg

DSCN9475b_1k.jpg

• Like 4

Great post by all over the past week. It's been a pretty tough week or two with my job so we're keeping it simple. In the south dinner was the big meal at noon and supper was leftovers. Tonight's meal qualifies as supper as it uses leftovers from previous meals and mystery finds from the freezer.

Navy beans with lamb, pork and ham cooked with rosemary, garlic, onions etc. Served with pasta and wilted mixed green medley. Finished with a glug of good olive oil and aleppo pepper. After a week of dining on fast food (or slow and sloppy) it hit the spot.

P1020054(1).JPG

• Like 2

Thanks! It's just chicken stock reduced by 2/3, then cream added, seasoned and emulsified. It may have seemed superfluous at first, but I felt it helped link the pigeon with the romaine purée. That was simply a head of romaine cooked in salted boiling water for 4 minutes, drained, sauteed in brown butter, seasoned with salt, black pepper and nutmeg, and blended.

Just got my copy of "Le Livre Blanc" which features the cooking of Anne Sophie Pic, France's only currently cooking female 3* Michelin chef (the last to earn the title was in 1933).

Made up a quick version of her John dory with mint, black truffle shavings and asparagus.

The favour combination is delicate despite the liberal use of mint. Cookng the fish was interesting too as it involved putting the fish sous vide into an 83C water bath for only a few minutes and then moving it to a 52C holding bath.

dory mint.jpg

• Like 3

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Yeah maybe I'll give it a go next time they're at the supermarket - which probably won't be until winter...

Thanks for all the compliments. I just realized I didn't post the correct link to the recipe - here it is in case anyone was interested. Definitely a ton of work, but pretty delicious (the quail marinade is definitely worth re-using in other dishes).

Edited by Baselerd (log)

Yeah maybe I'll give it a go next time they're at the supermarket - which probably won't be until winter...

Are you in the US? If you are really interested, let me know. I get them through a French dealer at half of the cost you'll spend at any supermarket and double the quality.