• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2013 (Part 4)

basquecook

Anna, your beef is perfectly cooked. What cut of beef did you use?

We had a similar meat and potato dinner.

Grilled%20Prime%20Rib%20September%202nd,

Grilled a small prime rib. Just big enough for two. Moe requested fries.

It goes by various names but the one I like best is "the rear of the steer". To be a tad more helpful though it is the rump cover or rump cap. It may also be called top sirloin. If you look up picanha on wikipedia you will see a good photo of the cut complete with its necessary fat cap which you are free to remove AFTER cooking. Hope this helps.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

patrickamory - Very dramatic lighting, from a single light source?

Mm84321 – A very elegant Ratatouille .

Baselerd – very nice plating.

Ann_t – You are going to put all sous vide cooker manufacturer out of business with steak cooked so perfectly.

Anna N – I love the plate you use for the steak and potato dish and how you arrange the ingredients. I am not sure why.

Ashen – Your lamb dish reminds of some famous painting.

Paul Bacino – restaurant ready salmon dish.

Dejah – Great turkey fryer made dinner.

Steve Irby – you plated the salmon dish pleasingly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Some one asked what to do with zucchini skin.

Sous vide crispy chicken, on sautéed zucchini skin, with Fairytale eggplants and pickled whatermelon rind.

dcarch

chickeneggplantszucskin_zps78b1d4b2.jpg

chickeneggplantszucskin2_zps17a194e3.jpg

• Like 6

dcarch- I love those tiny fairy tale eggplant. I havn't seen any this year at the farmers market unfortunately.

patrickamory - would you be willing to share the recipe for your Malabar shrimp curry?

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Ashen, those Fairytale egggplants are very cute on a dish, besides, they are very delicious, more creamy and milder than regular eggplants. Seedless also.

Thanks Plantes. Cooking zucchini skin seem like such a cheap thing, something special had to be done to it to make it standout.

dcarch

dcarch-- Never seen fairytale melenzine either-- Gotta get back out to the Farmers markets

Patrickamory-- You serve that over something?

mm-- Your bowl, reminds me I got some of those for christmas. :)

My tomato crop is on a holding pattern. Waiting for the next wave. I might be wrong but indeterminate tomatoe's produce ( rippen ) in spurts.

Anne-- You and Moe eat real well, was your rib the high heat method?

Baselerd-- Nice combination of flavors

AnnaN-- What cut was that?

Very nice..otherwise for all

Paully

Its good to have Morels

dcarch-- Never seen fairytale melenzine either-- Gotta get back out to the Farmers marketsPatrickamory-- You serve that over something?mm-- Your bowl, reminds me I got some of those for christmas. :)My tomato crop is on a holding pattern. Waiting for the next wave. I might be wrong but indeterminate tomatoe's produce ( rippen ) in spurts.Anne-- You and Moe eat real well, was your rib the high heat method?Baselerd-- Nice combination of flavorsAnnaN-- What cut was that?Very nice..otherwise for allPaully

Paul, check post #281. Anna N.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi all - the malabar shrimp curry is from Camilla Panjabi's book, and there appears to be an adaptation of it here. I squeezed the milk out of frozen coconut chunks, thawed and thrown in the food processor with a cup of warm water. I substituted a full teaspoon of grated fresh turmeric for the powder, and added it with the garlic and ginger. And I used coconut oil throughout rather than peanut or vegetable oil.

Served over basmati rice with lime pickle and mango chutney on the side.

dcarch, the light source is an under-counter halogen strip - I always have to correct the color balance but this is easy since you taught me to shoot in RAW in the shutterbug thread :raz:

• Like 1

patrickamory- thankyou for the link. when it calls for tamarind paste , do you know if it is regular tamarind or fish tamarind aka kodampuli?

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Most Thursdays my number 2 son joins me for dinner and I make a large pot of something or other so he can enjoy a meal with me AND take home a doggie bag. Well tonight our signals crossed and he didn't show. So I will be eating leftover roasted chicken thighs, carrots and potatoes for many days and many meals!

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Most Thursdays my number 2 son joins me for dinner and I make a large pot of something or other so he can enjoy a meal with me AND take home a doggie bag. Well tonight our signals crossed and he didn't show. So I will be eating leftover roasted chicken thighs, carrots and potatoes for many days and many meals!

Lucky boy! And for shame that he didn't make it.

I, for one, deeply regret that I never got 'into' cooking until long after mom was gone. Thankfully, Mrs. Meshugana is able to make some of mom's recipes (thank God she was paying attention!).

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Anna, sounds like cut I buy labeled a 'top sirloin cap'.

Baselerd, that salad is like a beautiful painting. Great photo.

Patrickamory, Thank you for the link and for your method.

Dcarch, like the checker board.

Paul, it was high heat, but high heat on the grill. About 550°F.

Grilled%20Lamb%20sirloin%20chops%20Septe

Grilled Lamb Sirloin Chop with Greek lemon potatoes and

Grilled%20Lamb%20Sirloin%20Chops%20%20Se

a stacked Greek Salad.

Maple%20Pecan%20Fudge%20September%202nd%

Dessert

Maple%20Pecan%20Fudge%20September%202nd%

Maple Toasted Walnut Fudge.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 2

OMG, I'm almost afraid to follow all that yumminess, AnnT! Here are a few of the dinners I've been less ashamed of lately (with my current workload, I've been eating a lot of ramen in a cup...)

Some sort of tenderloin preparation with mac n cheese and obligatory steamed carrots. I don't recall what the sauce on the beef was, but do recall that it lasted all of about 15 seconds...

BeefMacChs.jpg

A dish that started out intending to be cheeseburgers, but went disastrously wrong in the pan. We ended up calling it "cheesebuggers" instead. Despite its lack of cohesion, it was quite yummy.

Cheesebuggers.jpg

Some marmalade-sauteed shrimp with ratatouille-like casserole

ShrimpRatatouille.jpg

Seared fresh tuna steak in light teriyaki glaze

Tuna.jpg

ETA - I forgot dessert! Bitter chocolate mocha cake with mocha ICBM, one of my personal faves.

Mocha.jpg

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)
  • Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Fillet of veal, wine-and-beef-sauce, roasted beets, pearl onions, brussel sprouts and "hasselbackspotato". The latter is a Swedish thing I think, where you score the potatoes really deep with a knife, and roast in the oven with butter and cheese. Usually made with whole potatoes, but I cut them in rectangles.

whhema.jpg

• Like 2