• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods you just don't like

liuzhou

Also not a lamb fan. I think mostly because Mom and Dad hated it, so I did not grow up eating it. The smell gets to me. I've cooked it for others and it is a true labor of love to have to stand there smelling it.

Raw or undercooked/seared fish disgusts me.

You know, I never consider myself a picky person, but I seem to be finding a lot of stuff I don't like. 😝

• Haha 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

15 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Also not a lamb fan. I think mostly because Mom and Dad hated it, so I did not grow up eating it. The smell gets to me. I've cooked it for others and it is a true labor of love to have to stand there smelling it.

We loved to have lamb chops but DH always cooked them outside on the grill due to the smell.

• Like 1

My husband liked lamb and when we lived in Seattle we would have it quite often. I could eat it but to me it was just nothing special. All the lamb in Costa Rica is imported and extremely expensive so I was saved from having to fix it very often.

However, he loved Menudo and the main ingredient of menudo is tripe. I hate tripe. I hate the smell of it raw, I hate to handle it, and I hate the smell of it cooking. Making menudo was a two-day process and when it came to seasoning, he had to taste it and tell me what it needed because not one drop of that %&#@ was passing my lips. I made enough to have six or seven months worth of servings in the freezer so that I didn't have to go through it all that often. It was an act of love but it sure was an endurance trial.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

My husband liked lamb and when we lived in Seattle we would have it quite often. I could eat it but to me it was just nothing special. All the lamb in Costa Rica is imported and extremely expensive so I was saved from having to fix it very often.

However, he loved Menudo and the main ingredient of menudo is tripe. I hate tripe. I hate the smell of it raw, I hate to handle it, and I hate the smell of it cooking. Making menudo was a two-day process and when it came to seasoning, he had to taste it and tell me what it needed because not one drop of that %&#@ was passing my lips. I made enough to have six or seven months worth of servings in the freezer so that I didn't have to go through it all that often. It was an act of love but it sure was an endurance trial.

You make me feel like a curmudgeon. What a selfless act. I would just tell my husband if he wanted that he could make it himself.

Lamb is peculiar; if it's not too fatty I like it, but it isn't something we eat regularly. Once in a while I make it in a stir-fry with cumin, in the northwest China style. Pre-cut kabob meat is the leanest for slicing in my experience.  

23 hours ago, heidih said:

I like crispy bacon. I even enjoyed the skin on stuff my dad brought home - but again crisp. I am a chicharon fan. However pork belly has never appealed when people talk iabout the unctuous fat. I have never had it offered to me and no interest in trying. 

I like to use a mix of pork belly and pork shoulder when I make Filipino Pork Adobo, but the pork is cooked for quite a long time in that cooking style. Similar to this. 

I prefer my bacon somewhat bendable. Too crisp and it loses taste, I think.  🙂

In fact, I would say overcooked bacon is a food that I just don't like, ha. 

42 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I like to use a mix of pork belly and pork shoulder when I make Filipino Pork Adobo, but the pork is cooked for quite a long time in that cooking style. Similar to this. 

I prefer my bacon somewhat bendable. Too crisp and it loses taste, I think.  🙂

In fact, I would say overcooked bacon is a food that I just don't like, ha. 

The luxury of having choice and not  being in situations that exist prevalently in the world. 

5 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

Raw or undercooked/seared fish disgusts me.

You know, I never consider myself a picky person, but I seem to be finding a lot of stuff I don't like. 😝

Plus one for the non-lamb-lovers. I'll eat it if it's well spiced (shaslik, gyros), but that's about it. Though I generally keep a package of frozen ground lamb on hand in the event I get a Middle Eastern urge.

It's just one of those things I never ate growing up, so I never developed a taste for it. I'm also not crazy about farmed duck, I guess because I grew up eating wild ones.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Eggplant 

spongy , flavorless , nutritionally empty item

that cooks up slimy and unpleasantly gunky.

however , as its right in front of many

gets incorporated into local cuisine.

all those tasty herbs , spices and olive oils 

used to cover up its many failings

deserve better.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Eggplant 

spongy , flavorless , nutritionally empty item

that cooks up slimy and unpleasantly gunky.

Wow. Couldn't have said it better.  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Shirako.  I've traveled a lot in Japan and can proudly say many of the trips became a game to see what the gaijin would eat.  I enjoyed most of what that exposed me to, but shirako was not one.  Texturally a mess and nothing pleasant about the flavor at all.

The other truly disgusting thing in Japan is Natto and that is a taste that keeps on giving.  Dirty socks mixed with honey that sticks in your mouth for hours.  So bad.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2023 at 1:26 AM, Darienne said:

A brand new one for me.  A friend gave me two large pieces of pork belly and I just couldn't eat the stuff.  So much fat.  It can't be avoided.   Is this a normal reaction?

And I don't think I should give it to the dog who is living with advanced cancer for fear it could precipitate pancreatitis.  We've already lived through one bout of pancreatitis with a dog about 25 years ago.  

I'm not usually a fan of pork belly and partner almost never likes it. Sometimes it is pretty good if it is more meat than fat and cooked correctly. I never understood SV pork belly because the jelly left over is pretty disgusting to me. "Fat is flavour" Yeah, but it's the flavour of fat.

The crispy pork belly from my local Korean place was good the one time I tried it. Much better than the duck bills.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I've never met a kohlrabi I liked. Cooked, raw in salad, whatever, I'm unimpressed.

I do like brussel sprouts, cabbage (usually), broccoli, cauliflower. Go figure. 

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.