• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just FYI-Valrhona price jump

RWood

I went by Pastry Depot in Atlanta last week to pick up an order. I got an 11lb box of Ariaga Blanche and they told me that the price is gonna jump by 70%(!). I got it because it was around $75, and for Valrhona, thought that was pretty good. The owner said that the cocoa butter they use is the reason. 
She said that she doubts anyone would pay that much, so she would be keeping the Satilia white instead. 
I think Valrhona is already overpriced, but that’s just crazy. Dunno if that is going to affect any others.

IMG_4964.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

For many many years, pre-pandemic, Trader Joe's stocked a basic Valrhona bar identified by a red swoosh. It was labeled Le Noir Amer and it was 71%. It was a hefty bar at 3.5 oz and it was delicious. And it cost $2.99 per, so perfect for every day bites or baking too. This was my go to chocolate bar for many years; simple and delicious, no frills. Valrhona discontinued the product a few years ago, but it was a fantastic deal. I don't believe TJ's carries any Valrhona bars any more.  Nothing I've found lately comes close in taste or price. At the super-high end of the spectrum my chocolate of choice is Neuhaus, which is Belgian. 

Did they mention price jumps for any other Valrhona items? Was it the whole professional range? I've seen the rumblings online about chocolate pricing. I'll also be asking one of my suppliers. Wondering if stocking up now is a good idea - although that doesn't really help us for Halloween - Christmas.

1 hour ago, Saltychoc said:

Did they mention price jumps for any other Valrhona items? Was it the whole professional range? I've seen the rumblings online about chocolate pricing. I'll also be asking one of my suppliers. Wondering if stocking up now is a good idea - although that doesn't really help us for Halloween - Christmas.

She didn’t say. I don’t know if they use different cocoa butters in the other varieties, as that was the culprit in the price increase. 

• Like 1

@Jim D. Where did you buy the Opalys? My main supplier has pretty good prices but not always the best dates I want to look around some more before I stock up. I've emailed my Valrhona rep so will update with more info when he replies.

The response was not positive. A summary:

- price increases happening for all products at Valrhona and competitors

- narrowest increases for grand cru line

- cost of raw cacao at 40yr high "where it stops nobody knows" (47 years)

- has heard layoffs for some companies with large US presence

- they claim it is because of inflation

Another note - I've heard from someone in the agriculture non-profit sphere that frosty pod rot is increasingly worse and has reached the Caribbean and is a big threat to DR cacao production. Unpredictable supply from South/Central America and Caribbean plus wetter than normal weather in West Africa is fueling much of this. 11% reduced yield for 2023 vs 2022. And of course - the futures market is running wild.

Edited by Saltychoc
updated information (log)

@Saltychoc I bought the Opalys from International Gourmet Foods.  They have locations in various parts of the U.S., and the northern Virginia one is fairly close to me.  This means the chocolate is delivered by truck, which is a good thingy primarily because I don't have to worry about melting during the warmer months.  Shipping is "free," but of course I'm paying at some point.  The refrigerated truck also means that I can order frozen fruit purées, but I don't know whether they have the same 12-tub minimum that AUI has (I buy my Felchlin from AUI, and again, shipping is "free").  Prices are lower at the wholesale division of Chocosphere (the only place I have found 3kg bags of Valrhona for less than $100), but shipping chocolate from Oregon to Virginia is another issue--and I just learned that Chocosphere has new owners, so who knows what that will mean?.  Pastry Depot in Atlanta has just gone all wholesale, but their prices are higher than Chocosphere's.

Thanks! I'll have to ask my local supplier then. I pay 80-90/3kg bag for most Valrhona and they carry most of the boiron line. So maybe I'm getting the best deal around. Chef's warehouse recently bought another local supplier and prices were and continue to be absolutely ridiculous and they charge a broken case fee. No international gourmet foods up here. A lot going on with new owners and mergers these days.

• 5 weeks later...