• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

No corned beef and cabbage for me tonight :(

Lamb stew with whole-wheat couscous

Bedtime snack: homemade, extra thin crackers and goat gouda (a bit too mild a cheese for me)

Edited by Rhea_S (log)

Sunday dinner:

- Spicy garlic/ginger chicken stir fry

-Slow roasted Asparagus in parchement. This was in the latest issue of F&W and it is a great way to cook the stuff . Pile it in parchement, top with EVOO, S&P, a pinch of sugar, and fresh marjoram leaves. Form it into a package and bake on 200 degrees for 1.5 hours. then I tossed it in little dijon/caper/evoo vinaigrette. Very tasty.

-white rice

-Apple Tart Tatin for dessert.

Monday:

The night before I had made "Poilan's Miche" bread from Reinhart's book. It is a wonderfull sourdough whole wheat bread that according to its creator gets better after three days from baking it!!! I used that to make some smoked turkey and beef Pastrami sandwiches.

Dessert: a simple chocolate cake with chocolate topping.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Lessee ... scored some CAB chuck (they always have the expensive steaky cuts, rarely the chucklike) made a nice stew. (Large oval soi-disant "French" oven pressed into use, for those following the relevant discussions elsewhere.)

Big chunks of beef way browned, little chopped onion, several a lot some peeled garlic cloves, coupla sage sprigs, three wide strips of pith-free orange peel, salt, pepper, hit of red vermouth boiled away, bigger hit of in-use red wine brought to boil, meat re-added.

Simmer simmer simmer. Carrots peeled cut on the diagonal strewn over, simmer. Red potatoes, steamed, coated with barely melted butter & chives for the potatoes.

Sourdough bread. Afterwards a nice redleaf salad with walnuts, crumbled goat cheese, walnut oil dressing.

Toby's/Margaret Pilgrim's Pear Gratin blew yet more minds. Bosc remains my fave pear to be given the treatment, although others work, too.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Tuesday night dinner:

cream stew of spring vegetables (I could have called it throw everything left in the refrigerator into a white sauce dinner)

--sauteed onion slices in some butter, added flour threw in flour then milk and water (and a little better then bouillion), microwaved 1/4 of a kabocha, scraped out the flesh and added it to the pot (this turns it a gorgeous color as well as adding great flavor. Tossed in chunks of carrot and turnip, simmered until tender then added some blanched broccoli. seasoned it then done!

Oatmeal - Pecan soda bread

Japanese rice

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

taking a break since prep is done and waiting for husband to come home with a glass of 1998 Chateau Souverain Cabernet.

last night was beef in Guinness and champ - Laura's organic beef browned then cooked with carrots, onions, Guinness some fresh tarragon and parsley then baby peas added at the last minute. champ over the top.

tonight sofrito clams with prosciutto and a whole grain baugette for starters with a Fredrich 3M wine - also used in the dish. then oven "fried"(baked) fish fingers made with haddock and a coleslaw with carrots, savoy cabbage and red cabbage.

just trying to use up all those things in the fridge before we leave for texas!! :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oatmeal - Pecan soda bread

Sounds very interesting, can you elaborate. Recipe if possible???? :smile:

Actually it was a recipe for oatmeal walnut soda bread but I had pecans in the fridge and walnuts were far away in a storage cupboard in another room.

The recipe is from Best Recipe by the Cook's Illustrated guys.

I can't even tell you if it is good or not becasue the only 2 times I have eaten soda bread was last night and about a year ago when I made the same recipe, I have nothing to compare it to (my Italian mother didn't make Irish soda bread! :wink: ).

I like it though!

Toby's/Margaret Pilgrim's Pear Gratin blew yet more minds.  Bosc remains my fave pear to be given the treatment, although others work, too.

Priscilla - I did a search, but was unable to locate the mind-blowing Pear Gratin recipe. Would you mind sharing, please?

Thanks

Rover

Tonight was BBQ spareribs in the slow cooker. I made a garlic BBQ sauce, and the ribs were the best glazed ribs I've ever made in a slow cooker. Beef Fried Rice using left over beef from dinner the other night (don't tell HW it was leftovers :biggrin: ), and Ceasar Salad. Still more chocolate cake.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Monday - Lemon Risotto with griddled chicken (marinaded in EVOO, lemon juice, garlid and a pinch of cumin).

Tuesday - Pasta with red pesto (admittedly from a jar, but it was organic!) with a green salad and a few shavings of parmesan.

Today - probably some sort of soup and some fresh bread.... perhaps carrot and coriander or sweet potato and chickpea...

My best friend's cousin embarked this morning on a month long back packing journey across Europe. The Japanese mother in me wanted to give him one last home cooked meal before he spends the next month surviving on doner kebabs and cheap street food.

I made

Ramen red and green cabbage salad

Grilled macadamia nut, pineapple, pancetta rice balls (yaki onigiri)

chorizo and pickle maki

bulgogi steak strips and spicy (gochujang) bean paste steak strips wrapped in lettuce

I'm looking forward to the leftovers tonight... although the boys (best friend's cousin and my husband) managed to polish off all the steak!

Toby's/Margaret Pilgrim's Pear Gratin blew yet more minds.  Bosc remains my fave pear to be given the treatment, although others work, too.

Priscilla - I did a search, but was unable to locate the mind-blowing Pear Gratin recipe. Would you mind sharing, please?

Thanks

Rover

Rover, I will tell you anecdotally how I do it, at the same time sending over the eGullet transom the fervent wish that Margaret Pilgrim and Toby will weigh in with corrections, refinements, etc., because I may not even be doing it correctly.

Pears, halved, cored. (I use a melon baller for the coring, but a knife would work too.) Put in a single layer in a gratin dish, filling the cavities generously with butter and sprinkling over sugar. (I use the raw sugar I keep for tea, but I've thought about trying vanilla sugar.) Bake 30 min. Remove from oven, pour over some heavy cream (I have used creme fraiche at times) and cover generously with Parmigiano Reggiano shaved with a veg peeler. Bake an additional 30 min. Make sure everybody gets the complete pear-cream-Parmigiano flavor profile in a single bite.

Priscilla

This is turning into the week from hell (and I am not looking foward to spring vacation which starts today! :angry: ) I am still cleaning the mud off the walls, floors, carpets, toys, etc from yesterday.

Was unable to go shopping so..............

fusilli with Italian sausage (spicy)- onion- tomato- fennel seed sauce

leftover pecan-oatmeal soda bread

dessert:

Instant pistachio pudding

Monday night:

microgreen salad, red wine vinaigrette

roasted salmon with balsamic glaze

asparagus with evoo and maldon salt

ciabatta

Tuesday night:

vegetarian "sausage" subs with tons of peppers, onions, mushrooms

deli pickles

Tonight:

shrimp pad thai

gingery green stir-fried vegetables: bok choy, asparagus, broccoli

This is turning into the week from hell (and I am not looking foward to spring vacation which starts today! :angry: ) I am still cleaning the mud off the walls, floors, carpets, toys, etc from yesterday.

Was unable to go shopping so..............

fusilli with Italian sausage (spicy)- onion- tomato- fennel seed sauce

leftover pecan-oatmeal soda bread

dessert:

Instant pistachio pudding

Kris, I noticed that no matter what, you provide dessert. On those totally overwhelmed soccer mom nights, I don't offer desert, I have mini leftover Halloween candy in the freezer if they are desperate. Do you think this is a cultural or family thing? ANd WHY are none of these food writers doing a meal by meal comparison between the Japanese and New Joisey mom??!! :laugh::raz::rolleyes: Actually, dessert is for holidays or restaurant meals..I'm more likely to make a meal, skip dessert, and then make popcorn or tortillas at 9pm as a snack.

Kristin, did you get flooded? Oh, dear. :sad:

Cooked dinner for the first time in about a week -- HWOE home, 2 houseguests:

Mediterranean-style Fish Stew:

Broth: fish/lobster stock from the freezer, plus fennel trimmings, shrimp shells, halibut skin and bones, orange zest, saffron, fennel seed, and lots of anisette; cooked down and poured over

Vegetables: sliced shallots, carrot slices, and julienne fennel bulb sweated in olive oil, plus cut-up canned tomatoes and steamed tiny red potatoes; served over

Mixed fish: sauteed chunks of U10 shrimp, halibut, bay scallops, plus mussels steamed with anisette and shao hsing;

Garnished with Sourdough croutons and rouille (mayo, roasted red peppers, garlic, red pepper paste).

Mixed leaves with mustard vinaigrette.

Paumanok Barrel Fermented Chardonnay 2000 and Festival Chardonnay 2001

Cappuccino Mousse Cake (brought by guests).

Kristin, did you get flooded?  Oh, dear.  :sad:

Cooked dinner for the first time in about a week -- HWOE home, 2 houseguests:

Mediterranean-style Fish Stew:

Broth: fish/lobster stock from the freezer, plus fennel trimmings, shrimp shells, halibut skin and bones, orange zest, saffron, fennel seed, and lots of anisette; cooked down and poured over

Vegetables: sliced shallots, carrot slices, and julienne fennel bulb sweated in olive oil, plus cut-up canned tomatoes and steamed tiny red potatoes;  served over

Mixed fish: sauteed chunks of U10 shrimp, halibut, bay scallops, plus mussels steamed with anisette and shao hsing;

Garnished with Sourdough croutons and rouille (mayo, roasted red peppers, garlic, red pepper paste).

Mixed leaves with mustard vinaigrette.

Paumanok Barrel Fermented Chardonnay 2000 and Festival Chardonnay 2001

Cappuccino Mousse Cake (brought by guests).

No not flooded, just a 2 year old who decided his mud pies he was working on in the backyard wouldn't be "authentic" unless they were made in a real kitchen! :shock:

I have been flooded once though, by my 5 year old when she was 2, it was a nightmare I don't even like to recall.

Suzanne F that sounds incredible, I need to get back into the swing of things here.

Kim, as to desserts:

I grew up in a family that ate dessert every night at 8:00 on the dot, on the weekends it was usually oneof my mother's wonderful pies and on other nights a different baked treat though in the summer it was normally fruit or ice cream. I like desserts so we have them most days (except when we eat dinner rather late) anything from homemade treats to an apple from the fruit bowl.

Thursday night dinner:

My husband called at 5:00 pm to remind me (had told me last week) that he wouldn't be home until about 8:00 and didn't need dinner. Whoops, I had forgotten and already had something planned, but not yet made. So instead:

shio (salt) ramen with corn and snow peas for the kids

and galic chives and shitakes for me with a large squeeze or sriracha

dessert:

frozen lychees

Thurs night:

Salad of bitter greens with evoo and balsamic - parmesan shaves

Made a great ragu with beef and wine, veggies, mushrooms, everything... I made some whole wheat pasta to go with it, but we ended up eating it alone...

What's up with whole wheat pasta? I had never tried it before, it is bitter, grainy and cardboard-y.... :hmmm:

Oh and toffee bought from a Covent Garden stall - yum...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Last evening chicken butterflied inserted under the skin Lurpak and sage leaves. Salt & pepper over. Basted hell for leather.

Asparagus, peeled blanched shocked etc. with sauce Maltaise

Sourdough bread in thick slices painted with chicken pan residue

Nice redleaf salad with chevre walnuts walnut oil

Priscilla