• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Sauteed veal cubes with mixed wild mushrooms (mush. left over from dinner at Beacon a few weeks ago and stored in freezer), reduced veal stock

Rotelle

Baked sliced chayote topped with cheese/herb crumbs and sliced almonds

The ubiquitous salad, made by HWOE, with white balsamic and olive oil

Paumanok Barrel Fermented Chardonnay, 2000

Tuesday dinner:

mackeral and satoimo (a type of taro also called field yam) simmered in a soy-sake-mirin-ginger sauce

gobo (burdock root) and cucumber salad with a spicy mayo-sesame dressing

daigaku-imo = Japanese sweet potatotes first deep fried and then coated with a a thick sugar syup and then rolled in almond slices (usually they are sprinkled with black sesame seeds)

tomato slices sprinkled with salt

Japanese rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Cooked Sunday night after a particularly grueling 7 hour drive.  I was too tired to do anything but roast a chicken and wilt some spinach and fall over in my food.

Last night was better, but I was still groggy enough to serve a meal in varying shades of brown: pan-roasted duck legs, sauteed shiitakes with scallions and a hint of gomasio, and fried eggplant with garlic and chiles.  Ugly as a dog's butt on the plate, but it tasted pretty good.  I think I'm going to be very happy now that I know I can buy fresh duck legs on a regular basis at a place not too far from my work.  Now, if they only sold fresh duck breasts as well...  makes me wonder, where do all those legless ducks go?  :unsure:

Since no one answered this in the sesame thread I thought I'd re-post it here where all the Gomasio experts hang out :smile::

I made Gomasio this weekend and used 1.5 cups Sesame to about 0.5 cup Kosher salt (3:1). I used it in a cabbage sald as a dressing with some vinegar and oil. Very good albeit a little too salty. Is that how it is supposed to be? I mean am I to use it as I would use a seasoned salt? or is it supposed to be used liberally?

What ratios do you use, for example when making a salad dressing with Gomasio (Gomasio to oil to vinegar)?

If it is supposed to be less salty I can just add some ground sesame to it to adjust the saltiness. Please help.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

FoodMan, it is salty. One uses it instead of salt. But it's all a matter of preference. Just increase the proportion of toasted sesame.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

halibut, smeared with white miso, baked with splash of mirin and chiffonade of kaffir lime leaves. (idea blatantly ripped off the miso thread. it was quite good but next time i will try steaming so that the scent of kaffir can infuse the flesh.) spinach sauteed in evoo.

"Wontons" filled with slivers of scallop and shitake in a seaweed broth with thin shreds of kombu and long slivers of galangal.

Grilled rack of lamb, two chops served on a mint and guajillo chile pesto (with pumpkin seeds).

Scallion pancakes with taramasalata (preserved cod roe in mayonaisse) with a drop of sesame oil.

Asparagus wrapped in thinly sliced beef tongue, grilled, served with ponzu.

New Zealand green-lipped mussels served at room temperature with a pool of shoyu/mirin/wasabi in the shells, grating of black pepper and sprinkle of bonito flakes.

Gohan (Japanese rice) with lumpfish roe, gomasio, and toasted nori squares.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Thanks for the reply Jin

Sunday:

-Balsamic glased roasted chicken with onions and red wine.

-roasted potatoes. roasted in a healthy protion of duck fat until crispy and browned, sprinkled with chives

-Cabbage and carrot salad with Gomasio dressing

Monday:

Dinner at the in-laws. Chicken thigh stew Colombian style, with lots of onions, peas, carrots, yuka and potatoes. served over rice.

Teusday:

-Halibut steaks. Smeared with a green onion/honey/lime/cumin mixture and broiled.

-simple green salad with oil and vinegar dressing

-white rice sprinkled with Gomasio (still experimenting with the stuff :smile:)

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Weds dinner:

pork tenderloin with a orange-teriyaki marinade/glaze seared on the stovetop and finished in the oven

couscous with orange, ginger, almonds and herbs (Fine Cooking #55)

onion and sherry vinegar frittata

tomato and red onion salad with EVOO and sherry vinegar

dessert:

double hazelnut biscotti

eating these biscotti leftovers for breakfast as I type this! :biggrin:

Snuck home early to cook dinner for my SO, who celebrated her 28th birthday yesterday. The menu had to be quick and simple, so:

Veal loin chops cooked in a cast-iron grill pan and topped with dollop of a gremolata/chimichurri-thing composed of finely chopped fresh rosemary, lemon zest, parsley, garlic, and olive oil.

asparagus simply sauteed in duck fat

fingerling potatoes halved, par-boiled, and quickly crisped in duck fat and served with heaping amounts of sea salt and black pepper. I usually serve lemon zest and chopped rosemary with potatoes when I do them this way, but I thought that might be overkill at this point. Too much of a good thing. You know.

Spinach salad with orange and yellow pepper confetti and a tomato-sherry vinaigrette. Pretty, till I threw it all over the floor. :angry:

All this was served with a cheap but serviceable Spanish red whose name escapes me, prolly because I consumed too much of it. :wacko:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Yukon golds, parboiled, skinned, halved, roasted in duck fat. Lacy and crisp, tender and giving. Served two halves upside down in large white Korean noodle bowls.

>Surrounded by caramelized red onion.

>Topped with two soft poached eggs.

>Slivers of shaved pamesan and pecorino.

>Roasted asparagus spears to upper left.

Followed by a chicken broth with chives and chervil.

Followed by a tuile with creme fraiche and a few salmon roe.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Pan Seared NY Strip with cinnamin-cumin glazed carrots and a bed of wilted spinnach and caramelized onions. Topped with a hard cider reduction.

Everything turned out really great except the spinnach. It had a very strong, almost offensive "garden" flavor that reminded me of pesticides. it was organic so supposedly pesticide free, and I washed it thouroghly. Does anybody know why this might have been? I prepared it using the cast iron skillet I made the steak in as well as the onions. I piled in the spinnach and as it began to wilt, I poured in some of the cider and then sprinkled with salt.

Hmmm.

ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Snuck home early to cook dinner for my SO, who celebrated her 28th birthday yesterday.  The menu had to be quick and simple, so:

Veal loin chops cooked in a cast-iron grill pan and topped with dollop of a gremolata/chimichurri-thing composed of finely chopped fresh rosemary, lemon zest, parsley, garlic, and olive oil.

asparagus simply sauteed in duck fat

fingerling potatoes halved, par-boiled, and quickly crisped in duck fat and served with heaping amounts of sea salt and black pepper.  I usually serve lemon zest and chopped rosemary with potatoes when I do them this way, but I thought that might be overkill at this point.  Too much of a good thing.  You know. 

Spinach salad with orange and yellow pepper confetti and a tomato-sherry vinaigrette.  Pretty, till I threw it all over the floor. :angry:

All this was served with a cheap but serviceable Spanish red whose name escapes me, prolly because I consumed too much of it.  :wacko:

Your SO's a lucky woman, fimbul; the celebratory dinner you prepared sounds very tasty indeed.

So too much "cheap but serviceable Spanish red" made you forget the birthday cake/dessert?? :blink:

Pan Seared NY Strip with cinnamin-cumin glazed carrots and a bed of wilted spinnach and caramelized onions.  Topped with a hard cider reduction.

Everything turned out really great except the spinnach.  It had a very strong, almost offensive "garden" flavor that reminded me of pesticides.

Ben, what a very nice meal.

As per the spinach your description made me wonder if it was so-called baby spinach in a bag, because I have in the past gotten a weird unpleasant chemical flavor from such a product. Otherwise maybe it was spinach + cast iron + acidic cider.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

So too much "cheap but serviceable Spanish red" made you forget the birthday cake/dessert??

I thought about that, but neither of us has a huge sweet tooth, and I was pressed for time. Besides, skipping dessert gave me license to use extra duck fat. Dieting requires sacrifices, you know. :biggrin:

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Thursday dinner:

rigatoni with fresh tomato-butter sauce (one of my favorite recipes from Bittman's How to Cook Everything)

fava beans drizzled with a peppery EVOO and some shavings of romano

crostini toscani from the Babbo cookbook, chicken livers sauteed with onions, red pepper, anchovies, capers and red wine, pureed and then served on toasts.

This was so incredible! the pasta quickly became an afterthought as my husband and I devoured these. We had to toast more crostini just so we could finish it up.

Wednesday --

Hiyayakko tofu (silken tofu, topped with minced scallions, bonito flakes and a sprinkle of gomasio), with a little mushroom soy on the side

Cabbage risotto with pancetta and salsiccia [this is a type of spicy salami that I got while in Astoria this weekend]

Wilted mustard greens and escarole, with garlic and EVOO

Peaches with orange blossom honey, white pepper, light cream and chopped toasted almonds.

Cheers,

Soba

Day from hell... Spent way too much time on e-gullet :biggrin: Running around, trying to get ready for vacation on Sat. Weather is miserable with freezing rain on and off all day :sad: Thursday is Tutor night for the munchkin, and since they study in the kitchen, it's dificult to get dinner ready. I finally gave up and ordered the munchkin a pizza, and I convection broiled a lovely rib-eye steak for myself accompanied by a tossed green salad with a garlic vinegrette, complemented by Basildog's awesome walnuts (which I hid from everyone else in the house. :biggrin: HW is flying in from NY tonight (maybe) so I've saved a steak to broil up for him because he'll be tired :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Pan Seared NY Strip with cinnamin-cumin glazed carrots and a bed of wilted spinnach and caramelized onions.  Topped with a hard cider reduction.

Everything turned out really great except the spinnach.  It had a very strong, almost offensive "garden" flavor that reminded me of pesticides.

Ben, what a very nice meal.

As per the spinach your description made me wonder if it was so-called baby spinach in a bag, because I have in the past gotten a weird unpleasant chemical flavor from such a product. Otherwise maybe it was spinach + cast iron + acidic cider.

Not from a bag, but fresh. The reaction in the cast iron perhaps, I suppose I could run some tests to see. :biggrin:

It was really wierd, I would liken it to a very strong taste of beets with a slightly chemical edge.

Thanks!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

After two weeks of eating out almost every night, I finally had a chance to cook something.

Lotus root and burdock kinpira (sauteed and then simmered in a soy/mirin/sake/red pepper mixture)

Kabocha squash pan fried with garlic, salt and drizzled with soy sauce

Homemade ganmodoki (tofu crumbled and mixed with julienned carrots, kikurage, gingko nuts) and deep fried, then simmered in a light soy/dashi broth, topped with grated ginger

a tiny bit of leftover simmered Japanese pumpkin

Japanese rice with nori and a paste of ume shiso

Cheapo nigori sake

Chocolate ice cream for dessert. Boyfriend attempted to make yukimi daifuku (soft mochi rice cakes stuffed with ice cream) but failed, so we ate the ice cream on its on. Er, still eating it now.

Wednesday:

For my B-day, my wife prepared her best dish: Garlic (and lots of it) studded roast beef for myself and her parents. It was absolutly fantsatic with garlic slivers through out.

Served it with parsley and butter mashed potatoes and slow roasted esparagus with marjoram and a caper cream dressing.

Thrusday:

Roast beef left overs (best part) asian style. I sliced the beef very thin and reheated then tossed in a ginger/garlic/soy/sugar/gomasio sauce. Served it with sesame oil fried rice , julienned cukes, julienned carrots, cilantro, and green leaf lettuce.

dessert: homemade rum raisin ice-cream (RAISINS RULE!!!!!)

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog