• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Chicken Ballotine

I was defrosting two chicken legs with thighs when I spotted a neat way to prepare them in this blog http://www.ruhlman.com

I stuffed the skins with chopped meat, garlic, parsnips and Reggiano. They had to be suchered , then char-grilled.

IMG_6530.JPG

IMG_6545.JPG

I think breast meat eaters would like this.

I think breast meat eaters would like this.

Most definitely. This one would. ;)

036-001.JPG

Braised baby artichokes, with plum tomatoes, peas and herbs.

Adapted from here, courtesy of Michael Natkin's most excellent food blog, Herbivoracious: http://herbivoracious.com/2010/06/braised-baby-artichoke-with-fennel-and-cherry-tomatoes-recipe.html

Kim – Wow! Those are perfect pork chops. The cabbage makes them even more perfect.

Chris Taylor – Tagliatelle and ceps, makes it very attractive to be a vegetarian.

SobaAddict – That bread looks like professionally made. Very pretty artichoke dish. Beautiful plating on the others.

Mm84321 – you are the cirque du soleil of the food world.

Percyn – burger making require more skill than many fancy recipes.

Scottyboy – the smoked pork belly looks heavenly.

Prawncracker – Mango lobster, sounds like a great pairing.

Panaderia Canadiense – While your Beef Stroganstuff may not be authentic, but it looks like it tastes better than the real thing.

Anna N – That simple shrimp salad is simply divine.

Jayt90 – that chicken ballotine is amazing!

C. sapidus – With perfect steak like that, who needs sous vide?

Patrickamory – your Boston-style baked beans sure looks appetizing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few ordinary everyday dishes.

dcarch

Gulf Shrimps with Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Black Garlic, & Black Potatoes.

blackmushroomshrimp2.jpg

blackmushroomshrimp.jpg

blackmushroom.jpg

Drumsticks with Artichoke Stems

drumsticks2.jpg

drumsticks.jpg

Roasted Pork on Jicama

porkjicama2.jpg

porkjicama.jpg

Tofu with Ginger/Scallion Sauce

tofusausage2.jpg

tofusausage.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)

dcarch -and then is that Chinese sausage on top of the tofu and pretty green sauce? Did cutting the artichoke stems in the smaller pieces as shown mitigate the stringiness that can be an issue? Pork looks like something that would leave my kitchen with most of it in the cook's tummy pulling at the crust!

Heidih, I am glad you are asking the questions. Yes, Those are paper-thin Chinese sausages. Reason for that is to give a little more taste to what's just under that, which is Cod. I forgot the Cod. :-)

The artichokes seem to be a different variety. They are very large globe shaped, not heart shaped. Come with very long stems and the stems are very tender.

dcarch

f91fa481.jpg

Thanks dcarch, but your 'ordinary' is the stuff that mere mortals read about when they flip through a Conde Nast magazine. ;)

126-001.JPG

Stufato di verdure

Essentially, a seasonal vegetable stew that some attribute as a specialty of northern Italy, in the same style as a ciambotta.

This version has zucchini, Jersey tomatoes, green beans, celery, celery leaves, yellow bell pepper, onion, garlic, basil, olive oil and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. The vegetables cook in their own juices and become like silk.

Served with a baguette (not pictured).

ETA forgot to mention the yellow bell pepper.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

I just demolished this and went back for more.

Vaguely Chinese / Thai beef with mango. Beef marinated overnight in Thai fish sauce, soy sauce, with garlic, star anise and dried tangerine peel. Braised until tender then some green onion and diced mango added till warmed through.

Sparrow juice and rice.

beefwithmango.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sparrow juice?

I assumed it was a term for asparagus, the other item on the plate. Per wiki:

Oxford English Dictionary quotes John Walker as having written in 1791 that "Sparrow-grass is so general that asparagus has an air of stiffness and pedantry".
Not sure about the juice versus the grass because those are spears and not just a sauce.

Everyone: I'll have one of everything, please! Particularly as I have not cooked a meal in two weeks.

Lovely dinners. If I can't cook, I can at least vicariously enjoy all yours.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

ooOOOooh, dcarch, those are the type of Globe Artichoke that are grown down here and then usually rudely exported to the US and Europe before I can buy them. The stems are like an extension of the heart! I've got one grannie at the market who brings in three or four for me from each crop (her family farms 10 ha of them for European markets, and she comes to the market with what grows in her kitchen garden and auracana eggs) - I'll have to check on Monday to see if she's got 'em for me.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

dcarch, your food is so deliberately presented that I have to assume the hilariously funny oil-spill-on-a-plate is intential. Looks delicious, unlike the original. :)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

dcarch, your food is so deliberately presented that I have to assume the hilariously funny oil-spill-on-a-plate is intential. Looks delicious, unlike the original. :)

Haha! very interesting reaction to my plate. As it was said, "it's in the eye of the beholder".

I of course will not tell you the hidden subliminal symbolism which I schemed to play games with your subconsciousness.

I suppose, If you were an astrophysicist, you might behold that that circle represents the Black Hole in which it sucks in all matter with a relentless force, so powerful that no electromagnetic energies can escape. No electromagnetic waves means the absence of color and the absence of color equals black. However, the mystery of this Black Hole, dark matter and anti-matter could be explained by the new String Theory, which is represented by the stringy scallions.

dcarch

We've been discussing curing, brining and smoking fish http://forums.egulle...93#entry1880493 here. Tonight I put together an appetizer with the Copper River Salmon that I've been curing this past week.

Spiced Copper River Sockeye Gravlax with Aquavit, Spring Asparagus, Capers, Chive Blossoms, Lemon, Olive Oil and Rye Croutons-

brunch 020.JPG

• Like 1

I made a big deep lasagna, nothing too fancy, just a tasty meat sauce with ground beef, roasted garlic and a little bacon, béchamel, homemade pasta, plenty of parmesan. Also added a layer of spicy roasted pumpkin which was very nice.

536415_10151013129450953_1709563667_n.jpg

Love the pumpkin idea. How did you pick a spot for it. I think I would have folded into the bechamel to carry it evenly through but if it was good - what did you do?

When I was a kid, the only "cod" my Mother served came in the form of chopped whitefish shaped into fish sticks. We loved them back then, but my tastes are a bit more refined now.

Roast Alaskan Cod with Chimmichurri "Bacalao"-

004.JPG

The roast goat leg from Zak Pelaccio's book. Maybe took it 5 degrees © too far. It was nice enough, I guess, but if I hadn't fucked that up and had maybe made the effort/paid the cash to go off somewhere and find good quality baby goat, as opposed to accepting what was avaliable down the road, I would've had a nicer dish, I guess. The potatoes were just chats roasted with some rosemary and whole chillies and the sprouts came from Zak's book, too. Brussels sprouts with horseradish cream. Remind me not to make that until I can find fresh horseradish locally. The stuff in a jar is fine for some purposes--a sandwich, say--but is unsuitable for this dish.

goat.jpg

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Sparrow juice?
Not sure about the juice versus the grass because those are spears and not just a sauce.

It was a joke! A very London joke. But explaining it would ruin it.

Of course, it is just asparagus.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

avaserfi - Ridiculously cool stuff every time, did you glue the skin after you boned? I need to set aside more time for projects like this, I'm getting Chef's Block.

Oh and I need more gojujang in my life...

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog