• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

@Kim - that blue cheese with honey and fruit - my kind of supper

@mm84231 that bass dressed in green is exquisite!!!

@ScottyBoy - I don't think anyone is tired of any of your photos, or dinners, or likely to be - ever - just spectacular!

@ everyone else - I'm humbled. There are some amazing food ideas and photos here. A real education.

My dinner last night was from a River Café cookbook I've had quite a while, and it's one I repeat often - pasta with a sauce of lemon juice, grated pamesan, and an award winning olive oil which I just bought, and wanted to get the full impact of. You can't really get it wrong with good ingredients :smile:

I am all set for outside cooking now. I just added a propane grill to the new smoker. I broke it in with a spatchcocked chicken with an adobo rub and a orange serrano glaze. It was served with a poblano lime aioli and grilled zucchini. It looked better on the table than it did in the picture.

DSCN0101.jpg

T-Bones on the grill. Foil wrapper filled with sliced potatoes and onions with butter and smoked salt on the grill. Fresh fiddleheads boiled and tossed with salt, butter and a bit of lemon juice. Inspired by Kerry and Anna in the currently running blog, I made some scones but left out the dried fruit and worked in some crumbled blue cheese. Completed it all with a cooler of assorted beers. I won't try to pretend I plated it up pretty or anything, everybody just grabbed what they wanted and tore into it, so I didn't bother with pictures.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Awe damn! I need to get my hands on some Mangalitsa...

Edit: Side note you might like that I used the pork belly recipe from your site when a client requested pork. Have tried so many methods but you're is right on my friend.

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

@MrHolloway- Awesome looking bark on that Shane. .. I did Carolina style plulled pork . Just salt ,pepper on the pork and a thin north Carolina vinegar sauce. I planned to bring you in a sample but hopefully you aren't porked out. Do I sense a BBQ exchange at work tonight? lol

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

mm- the contrast of the white fish and the green whatever it is!! Gorgeous!

Scotty – that may be one of the most stylish looking dishes you’ve ever shown here. Bravo!!! And, man, I’d love to taste that ‘soil’.

Marie-Ora – I’ll return the compliment and say that that pasta dish sounds like MY kind of supper. I also need to say that I could get LOST in your website :wub: ! As a word lover and Anglophile, I was in love in about 20 seconds. It’s already bookmarked. I loved that you had Cirencester, because we stayed near there last May and I researched before we went to make sure we were saying it right. Got hung up on Bibury and Avebury, though!

Tri2Cook – I’m trying out that same scone recipe soon, too! I like the idea of a savoury scone.

Norm – spatchcocked chicken always looks a little awkward. It’s the ‘knock-kneed’ stance, I think. But it is SO good. And yours looks delicious. I love the idea of a poblano-lime aioli. Poblanos are one of the few peppers I can tolerate.

I got a lot more done today than I thought I would. Mr. Kim has the week off and we are painting our family room. We got the second coat of paint on today (using one coat paint and primer paint – third and last coat tomorrow :angry: ) and I actually served dinner. I even made some muffins! We got zucchini in our CSA box last week and neither of us likes it very much, so I did muffins and Michael Ruhlman's ‘Ratio’ fritters.

Dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_134781.jpg

Salad

med_gallery_3331_114_345648.jpg

Very boring looking and horribly named chicken dish – “Man-Pleasing Chicken” (ugh) that was amazingly good. Just chicken, Dijon mustard, maple syrup and rice wine vinegar. All tossed together and baked at 450 until done. It is much, much better than it should be with just those ingredients. You are supposed to add fresh chopped rosemary at the end, but mine had gone fuzzy, so we did without and it was still delicious. Chicken was served with Cheddar gougères, zucchini fritters and squash:

med_gallery_3331_114_22056.jpg

The fritter looks enormous, but it is just the perspective.

Dessert was a muffin:

med_gallery_3331_119_200871.jpg

Heidi – Thank you, I hope your tuna turned out well.

dcarch – Thanks, and beautiful Mother’s Day meal.

Slipper burgers with onion, garlic, ginger, chiles, cilantro, coriander, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne, grilled over charcoal. Served with potato rolls and Sriracha mayo. Younger son made the unpictured salad.

p734649473-4.jpg

This looks fantastic! How about some sauce in combination?

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

This looks fantastic! How about some sauce in combination?

Rod Rock – Thank you! Sriracha mayo and a potato roll worked for me, but tadziki or green chutney would go nicely, and seared ginger raita would have been killer.

Kim – “Man-Pleasing Chicken” :laugh:

Lotsa work, not much cooking for me lately, other than a tasty but not particularly photogenic chicken stir-fry last night. Still, enjoying everyone's meals vicariously.

Odd mix here:

2 days ago:

Murgat bamya (Iraqi okra stew, possibly the "national dish"), made with lamb leg:

536766_782840569431_37003198_36006291_1940152200_n.jpg

The rice with lovely hakkaka (tadig), if I say so myself: :laugh:

540034_782840549471_37003198_36006290_145059118_n.jpg

And tonight:

Leftover brown Japanese rice, fried with onion, long hot green pepper, scallion, and kimchi, sprinkled with some soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds:

545716_782840644281_37003198_36006293_1472087832_n.jpg

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I had three large leeks from my CSA that were taking up a lot of space in the vegetable drawer, so I decided to make a leek and goat cheese quiche last night.

Going in the oven:

7265984646_cd615c8be0_z.jpg

After the oven:

7266160910_002cb74e59_z.jpg

Quiche is such an easy way to use excess vegetables, or leftovers. It's fun to come up with different combinations of ingredients.

I made a double batch of pastry dough so I have another tart pan lined with the dough in my freezer, ready to go for the next quiche.

536766_782840569431_37003198_36006291_1940152200_n.jpg

The rice with lovely hakkaka (tadig), if I say so myself: :laugh:

Hassouni, did you already share your method for tadig rice ? I for one would love to hear it. It must be a good thing to make in Japan, where I think tadig's little known, but where - before the advent of the "o-kama" electric rice cooker, the browned / singed rice at the bottom of the pot was known as "o-koge". (Of course these days "o-kama" for other reasons is slang for a gay man, and "o-koge" is what they call women who like to hang out with gay men / a gay man).

I've had a go at tadig once or twice (recipe from a book, less-than-perfect results) but it's been a while.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

spitroastpork.jpg

First attempt at spit-roasting some pork. Took a piece of belly, rubbed the flesh side with a paste of olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley then rolled it, tied it and cooked it over the fire. The skin was a little sad (although crisp in parts) but the meat was nice enough for a trial run. Next time I think I'll go through my usual two day process of brining and fridge-drying.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

First attempt at spit-roasting some pork. Took a piece of belly, rubbed the flesh side with a paste of olive oil, salt, pepper and parsley then rolled it, tied it and cooked it over the fire. The skin was a little sad (although crisp in parts) but the meat was nice enough for a trial run. Next time I think I'll go through my usual two day process of brining and fridge-drying.

Nothing wrong with your Pork, Chris.

Your camera is not the smartest. It couldn't tell that it was reading the reflection from the flash and underexposed the pork.

dcarch

Spitroastpork2.jpg

Nice tadig Hassouni.

We've been travelling a lot so have not had as much time to cook. Recent dinners have included Applegate hot dogs and roast chicken. However I did make a Madhur Jaffrey beef kheema with peas, one of my favorite simple North Indian dishes. Served with ginger and chile pickle, mango chutney and lime pickle... the best accompaniment is Jaffrey's tomato chutney but we had finished that off some time ago.

kheema.jpg

(edited several times because I can't get the colors right on the photo!)

Edited by patrickamory (log)

Nothing wrong with your Pork, Chris.

Your camera is not the smartest. It couldn't tell that it was reading the reflection from the flash and underexposed the pork.

dcarch

I have a nice SLR but it was a whole room away, which in report writing season may as well be the middle of the Gobi desert. The photo was taken with my phone. No flash: that's the kitchen light.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Surf and turf. Strip steak sous vide for two hours at 125, then grilled along with the lobsters. Caprese salad with buffalo mozz. Roasted new potato wedges with white truffle oil.

006.JPG

Ginger mojitos beforehand. Greg Norman petit syrah with dinner.

003.JPG

The next night was an unfortunate attempt at corned buffalo brisket, the Alton Brown recipe, which was insufferably salty and unGodly tough. Resurrected it this morning with a long boil to tenderize it, then in with some potatos for corned beef hash.

Edited by heidih
Fix images (log)

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Two courses (partly because the second one was going to overwhelm anything that accompanied it).

First was sautéd fiddlehead ferns - sadly not photographe, because they're so photogenic. And rice with beans borrachos (made with Good Mother Stallards and Chimay Grande Reserve):

beans_borrachos.jpg

Second was red-braised pork:

red_braised_pork.jpg