• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salting the Water For Hard-Boiled Eggs

Porthos

This weekend at a gathering where we were cooking al fresco I put eggs boiling. A friend asked if I had salted the water. I said no. I mentioned it to my wife and she said she always salts her egg water.

I've been boiling up multiple batches of 5 dozen eggs for years, and since I insist on aging the eggs, get easy-to-peel eggs that taste just the same as when my wife boils eggs.

So my (rather obvious) question is: Who in eGulletland salts their egg water and who doesn't and can you tell me why?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

It just never occurred to me to salt the egg water. If I am hard boiling them it is generally for deviled eggs or into a salad that will have plenty of salty ingredients. A soft boil will getting a generous sprinkle of coarse salt when eating.

I have a hard time seeing salt penetrating a shell and seasoning an egg during an 11.5 minute boil. Testing is required.

I haven't salted my egg water but I can speak to shell permeability. We never use soap to wash the eggs from our henhouse because even just a couple seconds' exposure means the eggs taste soapy.

I have a hard time seeing salt penetrating a shell and seasoning an egg during an 11.5 minute boil. Testing is required.

I haven't salted my egg water but I can speak to shell permeability. We never use soap to wash the eggs from our henhouse because even just a couple seconds' exposure means the eggs taste soapy.

It will also depends on temperature changes.

When you boil an egg, you will notice very tiny bubbles coming out from the shell, that is air expanding.

When the egg cools down the air inside the egg will contract, drawing in liquid around it.

dcarch

My husband always salts the egg water for hard boiled eggs. He says it makes it easier to peel. I almost never salt, for no other reason than forgetfullness/laziness/just don't bother. I haven't noticed a significant change in peeling ease, but then I've not done a side-by-side comparison either.

We need McGee or someone for this. I've had a lot of bad peelers lately and I heard that salting the water helped that (something about changing the ionization of the solution so the egg wouldn't stick to the shell which I've probably remembered all wrong anyway) but I haven't noticed any difference. Also didn't notice any difference in the taste of the egg.

We need McGee or someone for this. I've had a lot of bad peelers lately and I heard that salting the water helped that (something about changing the ionization of the solution so the egg wouldn't stick to the shell which I've probably remembered all wrong anyway) but I haven't noticed any difference. Also didn't notice any difference in the taste of the egg.

It's adding baking soda to the water to make the eggs peel more easily.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

In the latest Lucky Peach, McGee's article is all about the science of peeling eggs. The easiest eggs to peel are ones with higher PH levels (9 or so from memory), which comes from being aged. I don't have a copy with me, so I can't give specifics, but that was the general theme of the article.

James.

I've always salted, believing this prevented any cracked eggs from leaking too much. No doubt this is wrong, just the way I've always done it! I understood that older eggs were the easiest to peel when hard boiled, I seem to remember reading this years ago in a book on eggs by Albert Roux.

Baking soda. Not salt. It works.

Naturally, it's best to use older eggs. But baking soda makes the eggs easier to peel no matter what their age. I have nothing to support this other than anecdotal evidence of hard boiling hundreds of eggs, though. If anyone has some solid chemistry as to why (or why not), I'd love to hear it.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Naturally, it's best to use older eggs. But baking soda makes the eggs easier to peel no matter what their age. I have nothing to support this other than anecdotal evidence of hard boiling hundreds of eggs, though. If anyone has some solid chemistry as to why (or why not), I'd love to hear it.

I'd love to know if there is science. Each spring I boil about 1800 eggs over an 11 week period and in the fall another 600 or so. Has to do with a Renaissance Faire group I cook for.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Doesn't salt raise the temperature of boiling water slightly?

Yes, but not by much. Altitude makes a difference , too. The people on the first floor of an apartment block have a different boiling point from the people on the 26th floor. I don't suppose it worries them too much. :rolleyes:

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

ScoopKW - do they do this at your particular place of employment? Just curious.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

When you boil an egg, you will notice very tiny bubbles coming out from the shell, that is air expanding.

When the egg cools down the air inside the egg will contract, drawing in liquid around it.

So that would mean dropping them into salted water to cool might be more beneficial than cooking them in salted water... now I'm curious.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I know the word 'Salting' has been used, but the thrust is 'Easy to peel'.

I thought this had been put to bed with steaming eggs, it works...!

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Nana did it with in-house eggs, Ma did it with store eggs, and I do it with supermarket eggs. We all had cracks and blowouts, I seem to be

most cursed with the bad peelers, but its tradition, and I do it.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I steam for hard boiling, about 15 minutes for large eggs. This is not longer than other methods, once you factor in the short time it takes to get a small amount of water to boil and produce steam. It's gentler so no more cracks or broken eggs, and I feel they also peel better. Laura from hip pressure cooking even steams them at high pressure and claims they peel even better, but I have not found any differences between steaming them with and without pressure.