• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kalypso   

I'll add the Enchiladas Placeras I made recently from Marilyn Tausend's new cookbook La Cocina Mexicana

Enciladas Placeras.JPG

Easier than I thought they'd be and very tasty. Sauce is Ancho/guajillo based and the tortillas are dipped in sauce and then fried; recipe called for cotija or jack, I had quesillo on hand and used that instead. Messy but good. The potato and carrots were cooked in water to which a little pineapple vinegar had been added until barely done and then fried. They were outstanding.

Typically the chicken on the plate would have been either a leg quarter or breast that had been parcooked and then fried. I had a mutant chicken breast that weighed in at 16 oz so I poached that, sliced it and then fried the slices. That part was okay, but it would have been way better with just the whole chicken quarter fried.

The dish was much lighter and less dense than I thought it would be. Left overs for dinner tonight...YUM

kalypso   

kalypso that looks to die for.

Agreed! What do you think of the cookbook?

I like the cookbook alot, in part because it's got recipes for things that are either overlooked or not featured at all.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I was a recipe tester for the cookbook. Enchiladas Placeras was not one of the recipes I tested, so it was a new recipe to me.

kalypso   

I've been on an enchilada tear the past couple of week. I also made these...Enchiladas Verdes de Aguacaliente from Diana Kennedy's Tortilla Book

Enchiladas Verde w garnish.jpg

I've been on an enchilada tear the past couple of week. I also made these...Enchiladas Verdes de Aguacaliente from Diana Kennedy's Tortilla Book

Kalypso – I looked up the recipe and that sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Requeson revuelto a la Mexicana (ricotta scrambled like Mexican eggs) – An old favorite from Diana Kennedy’s The Art of Mexican Cooking. I usually double the Serrano chiles, and this time I also added a chipotle in adobo.

On corn tortillas with queso fresco

p1223314302-4.jpg

Mrs. C’s ham stock featured prominently in tonight’s meal.

Corn soup with chicken and chile Poblano (Crema de elote con pollo y Poblano): Corn, milk, corn starch, and fried onion and garlic, pureed and strained, and then simmered with ham stock, cubed chicken breast, and roasted chile Poblano. Cilantro garnish. I adore corn and chile Poblano, and the ham stock came through nicely.

p1254283476-4.jpg

Mexican red rice (arroz rojo): Shortcut version with enchilada salsa, ham stock, corn, and peas.

p1254283464-4.jpg

rotuts   

rice w enchilada sauce is a new one to me and a great idea!

Oxtail Mole de Olla with Taquitos:

946837fc-c1e7-4168-b98d-3c65c1c014ad.jpg

Intended for last night, but the oxtails needed more braising than we had time for.

Fast forward to tonight, with an extra few hours of cooking and all was well. The taquitos (cheese, onion cilantro) made for a nice, crunchy edible utensil.

MIP - Wow, that looks fantastic! What recipe did you use?

Thanks! I don't really follow a particular recipe. The base is blended pasilla and dried costeña chiles. I added diced onion at the beginning and Mexican zucchini and potato toward the end. Seasoning was simply salt and Mexican oregano.

Lior   

I was pretty happy bout my eldest daughter's idea of making lots of tortillas quickly using my pancake maker! Worked really well!

tortillot.jpg

For some things, I never know when to start a new thread or revive an ancient one that has lots of good input. In this case, my subject is mole, and I found several old posts about mole, and then this post which features plenty of mole as well but seems to enjoy better success and discussion when revived, so here I am :)  .

East TN is being told we can expect another last 'bout of winter weather this weekend, so I want to cook something delicious and complicated and cozy. I have had mole and homemade tortillas on my list for ages, so this seems like a good time. I've enjoyed a lot of good mole varieties over the years but never made one (of any type) myself. I've settled on the mole rojo a la Rick Bayless (I've seen it pop up in various places around here), with a little inspiration from a Oaxacan culture blog as well. 

https://www.thepauperedchef.com/article/my-first-mole-rich-red-mole-with-chicken

http://oaxacaculture.com/2012/03/recipe-making-authentic-mole-rojo-in-teotitlan-del-valle/

As the second link references Mexican chocolate with almonds, I'm quite excited because I have a disc of Taza mexican almond chocolate I've been hoarding for no real reason until now. I'm really looking forward to this and will post pics / let you know how it turns out! any tips based on the two recipes I linked? I am going to continue reading over all the great old mole posts i'm finding on eGullet.

• Like 4

Darienne   

Good to read your post, pistolabella.  It's been so long since the Mexican section has been active.  Good luck with the mole. 

kayb   

Following anxiously as well. I made mole -- once. It was good, not just excellent, but good, but I failed to wear gloves to handle the chiles and my hands burned for HOURS....

Where in E. TN are you? I have friends in the Johnson City area who are battening down the hatches for the weekend.

Wellll I hate to be such a tease with the mole making, but last night my husband came down with a horrible stomach flu so there will be no such Mexican cooking project this week. We'll be postponing til next weekend so that he can enjoy as well, and I'll update then. This weekend's project is now to make some good soups for him to have while on the mend. KayB - we're in the Knoxville area. Never know what to *really* expect with the snow forecasts here, but I have a feeling we'll actually see something this time.

I'm at our new home in Mexico....new to us, anyway.  It's an older home and we've been having updates made since we bought it, April 25.  We moved in here June 1, after the worst was over.  

Still most everyday there are workman and NOISE!!  Today they are finishing some petate doors and the generator for the staple gun is bone and brain shaking.  

I did get a combo gas and charcoal grill, so I can make lunch outside.  My go to lunch is grilled green chorizo which I then stuff into a flour tortilla with goat cheese, and grill these quick quesadillas and serve with mango salsa (mangoes are super ripe and they are squished on every sidewalk of our town this time of year).  We are lucky to have many great eateries for dinner we can walk to for dinner.  

Here are before and after photos of my new MXN kitchen. 

ihouse7.jpg.64b21b64e73d7ab4a4ad75c51b7cf6da.jpgIMG_1415.JPG.cf1adb71ebaa4a71075d5444cc0873aa.JPGIMG_1411.JPG.c7ae0b9fd12f797acaeb9c4279edc2bf.JPGIMG_1406.JPG.73d40b54f03f9836468e4dbba5ac0860.JPG

• Like 5

Smithy   

Cheerful and bold colors, and glorious tilework - very pretty!

What a beautiful kitchen, @gulfporter - I hope all the meals you prepare there will be as flavorful as the kitchen is colorful! 

I'd love to see photos your outdoor cooking area when you have time.   Thanks for sharing!

cakewalk   

Very beautiful, especially those tiles. Also love the boldness of your colors. But mostly I keep thinking -- look at all that counter space!!

• Similar Content

• By gulfporter
      Chiles en Nogada are traditionally served only for Mexican Independence Day (16 de Septiembre).  Every household and restaurant have their own version.  In years past we have eaten as many as 12 different versions in the course of the week long celebration.   Certain things about it never change: always poblanos, walnuts, pomegranate seeds and dried fruit (though the types of dried and fresh fruit vary as does the ratio of fruit to meat).  And the cream sauce is always room temperature, never heated.  

Not only is it a tasty dish, it is about the prettiest meal ever put on a plate.  

I have made them at home (but not for several years).   Rick Bayless's recipe is the one I used.  
      http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/pork-and-fruit-stuffed-chiles-in-white-walnut-sauce/

The history of the dish is one of creating a festive dish on the spur of the moment with limited ingredients. 
      https://www.tripsavvy.com/chiles-en-nogada-1588803

• By Kasia
      My quesadilla

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a dish which meets holiday requirements. It is easy, and it doesn't need sophisticated ingredients or an oven. A frying pan is enough. Quesadilla, the dish in question, is a tortilla with melted cheese. The rest of the ingredients you choose at your discretion. Red beans, pepper, chorizo or fried meat all work brilliantly. I added fried pieces of turkey leg. Thanks to this, my dish could be a holiday dinner.

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      4 tortillas
      300g of turkey leg
      half a chili pepper
      half an onion
      1 clove of garlic
      2 tablespoons of oil
      200g of tinned sweetcorn
      200g of tinned red beans
      fresh pepper
      200g of mozzarella cheese
      salt and pepper

Cube the meat. Fry the diced onion, garlic and chili pepper in oil. Add the spiced-up-with-salt-and-pepper meat and fry on a low heat until the meat is soft. Cube the pepper. Drain the sweetcorn and red beans and slice the mozzarella cheese. Put the tortilla into a dry, heated pan. Arrange the meat, sweetcorn and red beans on it. Cover with the slices of the mozzarella cheese and the second tortilla. Fry on a low heat for a while. Turn it and fry a bit more until the cheese has melted. Put it on a plate and cut it into triangles.

Enjoy your meal!

• By MelissaH
      I was catching up on my blog reading, and hit a post about icebox cakes. I've only ever made one icebox cake in my life, and it was delicious, using the classic chocolate wafers and whipped cream but flavored with Red Bird peppermint puffs. (I got the recipe from an article about the company that makes the candy.) Anyway, while the blog post itself was interesting, the first comment (at least as I currently see it) caught my attention, because it described a Mexican icebox cake that looked very different to me because it didn't use whipped cream. The commenter called this icebox cake a carlota de limón, and described it as being made from maria cookies, lime juice, and sweetened condensed milk. I adore limes!

So...I can find recipes on line, but has anyone made this cake before? Do you have a tried-and-true recipe that you'd be willing to share? Please?

Thanks!
    • By SNewman004
      Thinking about putting a chorizo burger on the menu. It would most likely be a 50/50 blend of chorizo and ground chuck. I'm thinking this means I can't do a mid rare burger? Anyone have any experience with this?