• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Mexican at home

They look as good as some I have seen made by folks who have been doing them for years.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow thanks everyone! Well, they taste a bit bland and this nice corn kind of a taste, but not yellow corn taste. I liked them. I did not have anything really to fill them with as I was so excited to first just make them. I tried stuffing with cheese and frying-was yummy. They did not get bubbles, but it kind of reminded me of making pita-and one or two even was split- able like pita kind of. Now I need to think what to do with the ones I plan on making on Saturday for family lunch!

This is fun! :laugh:

I like to add a pinch or two of ground dried chile - regular red chiles or, if you can find them, my preference is the guajillo chiles, which are reddish-brown when dried but sometimes less red, more of a mushroom color. You don't need much, it's a moderately hot chile but it really pairs well with the flavor of corn.

However, if these are not available to you, try some of the hot pimenton or even the smoky type, which is especially good if you are using chicken or turkey for filling.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

we get all sort of peppers here but I have no idea what kind! Will try -I have some dried-a bit strong tasting but my kids like hot-much more than I do.

If the peppers are hot, use just a scant pinch until you know how it will taste in the finished product.

Many years ago I began with just McCormick's taco seasoning in the envelopes - and most of the tortillas were fried into chips for my kids.

That was before flavored chips were available in markets.

For a very elemental prep you could have them with simply cooked and lightly mashed beans (starting with dried beans) and a simple fresh salsa of chopped tomato, onion, fresh chili and cilantro (all to taste). Cheese melted with the beans is nice too.

Oh my gosh! What a lovely blog! I can see this young family at that restaurant! Thank you ever so much for the delightful look into this refried bean topic! Isnt it amazing how so much can be said about one dish? Sadly I need to forego the bacon/pork! :unsure: And I went to get beans and got the wrong ones! I got dark ones-they are not Pinto as in the pictures. On SUnday I will go get the right ones and delay the meal till another family get together. ANyhow, the avoes are hard as rock. Thank you!!!! :rolleyes:

p.s. looking and googling for refried I came across how to make McDonald french fries on a video-wild!!! who would have ever guessed??? And I found advice how to soften avoes -doubt any really work!!

final result:

Hello.. those look good.. in case you don't know.. there is a final step when making tortillas... keep them in cotton towels, inside a lidded container while you are making the rest... they will steam in their own moist heat, get soft & pliable.

Oh my gosh! What a lovely blog! I can see this young family at that restaurant! Thank you ever so much for the delightful look into this refried bean topic! Isnt it amazing how so much can be said about one dish? Sadly I need to forego the bacon/pork! :unsure: And I went to get beans and got the wrong ones! I got dark ones-they are not Pinto as in the pictures. On SUnday I will go get the right ones and delay the meal till another family get together. ANyhow, the avoes are hard as rock. Thank you!!!! :rolleyes:

p.s. looking and googling for refried I came across how to make McDonald french fries on a video-wild!!! who would have ever guessed??? And I found advice how to soften avoes -doubt any really work!!

OK. I'll bite. How does one soften avocados and why didn't I know last night? Making a Tex/Mex luncheon spread for us and our two stalwart workers. DH picked out the avocados for me. Oh well.

I wonder what the consensus would be for trying some of the pork recipes with beef. Or even chicken. Although there are enough really good beef and chicken recipes to pick from.

Our current favorite (part of today's enchilada filling) is Puerco Pibil. What would it be like with beef or chicken for those who cannot eat pork?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you put avocados in a brown paper bag with an apple and a banana peel (or a banana) and close it tightly, they will ripen much faster, usually within 24 hours.

You can also "soften" them in the microwave, no more than 45 seconds.

However this will not ripen them, it will just make them softer so they can be mashed.

The flavor will still be unripe, not as complex or buttery

If you put avocados in a brown paper bag with an apple and a banana peel (or a banana) and close it tightly, they will ripen much faster, usually within 24 hours.

You can also "soften" them in the microwave, no more than 45 seconds.

However this will not ripen them, it will just make them softer so they can be mashed.

The flavor will still be unripe, not as complex or buttery

Thanks Andie. A tad too late for this meal. I finally gave up on the mixer and mashed the lumpy bits through a fine sieve. That seemed to work...but you are correct about the flavor.

Morale of story: do not let my DH pick avocados.

I take it that the paper bag/apple/banana actually 'ripens' them.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Sadly I need to forego the bacon/pork! :unsure:

Whoops! I'm sure it can be replaced- you just need to get some smokiness and umami in there somehow...

A great way to add smokiness to beans is to brew some Lapsang Souchong tea and use that as part of the cooking liquid for your beans.

I often cook for vegetarians and vegans and have used this method many, many times.

oh my goodness! I googled the tea and it has a pine smoked flavor. I now have to start searching for a source!! WOuld a smoky chipotle as someone mentioned earlier work? I will look for the tea though. Thanks for the kind words about my final results, Eat Nopales! I will do that! Yes, those are the tips I read about for ripening avoes!! I also saw one about wrapping in silver foil or putting in the sun.

Hi!! SO I decided to go ahead with my plans for a mexican lunch even though the avoes were not quite ready and the beans were not pinto. Hey, I can do this again in 2 weeks! SO I made refried beans according the the amazing recipe on that blog mentioned a few posts ago. I am sure it was not perfect since there was no pork/bacon, but it was very tasty! I hung up some peppers to dry for future use.

I slow cooked brown beans for about 2 hours or so. I drained the liquid off and added, onion, garlic and chipotle tabasco smoked sauce or something like that anyhow! I added what was left of the grated fresh tomatoes spiced with chile and paprica from breakfast (not mexican...) and cooked like a kind of soup broth.

Next I fried diced onions and garlic and added the beans in 3 increments mashing each time (good for my muscles!). All the time while frying. Then I added the broth and mashed more. I added some salt and some more chipotle tabasco whatever-to taste. I used the cheese I have-parmesan and mozzerella. Thank you soooo much for a wonderful lunch. I tols the family all about this thread over lunch.

The pictures will tell the rest! We had a wonderful lunch!!

brown beans.jpg

chili peppers.jpg

refried beans1.jpg

refried beans2.jpg

mezze.jpg