• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Mexican at home

Regarding Beans... Pinto Beans are certainly not requisite for cooking Mexican cuisine... 100 years ago very few people in Mexico used Pinto Beans it wasn't until industrial farming & the country's rapid urbanization in the 1960's & 1970's that Pinto Beans took a major share of the bean market.... prior to that Mexico was the dominion of hundreds of heirloom bean varieties. Even nowadays Pinto beans are much more "Tex-Mex" than Mexican as the country still retains some strong regional affinities...

Black Beans are the norm from the southern tip of Veracruz, to the Yucatan down the Isthmus of Tehuantepec to the Oaxacan coasts, Flor de Mayo beans in the Anahuac basin, Mayocoba (Peruano) in Michoacan & Jalisco etc., etc.,

My Mexican neighbors, originally from Durango, prefer the Canary beans, now called Peruano beans - the latter name has become more common in the past twenty years or so and in spite of the name they are native to Mexico. They grew them on their ranch as well as pink beans and a broad bean (no name). They like these because the skins are not as tough as pinto beans and they are creamier when cooked.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Fruit emits a gas as it ripens - ethylene. If you put fruit into a paper bag, it traps the gas, and ripens the fruit more quickly. Some fruit gives off more ethylene than others; hence the advice to add a banana or apple. Or peach or plum. Sometimes the fruit ripens too quickly, so if you're ripening peaches or plums or something, you have to keep a close eye on them. They can ripen and spoil within a day, and certainly within two. Don't try it with plastic bags. You do need the material to breathe a little, and absorb moisture. If you wrap them in plastic, they'll just rot before they ripen.

Put your avocados into a paper bag (you don't really need any other fruit if you don't have it) and fold it over. Leave it out on the counter. Your avocados should be perfectly ripe and soft by the next day.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Lior, major props on your forays into Mexican cooking – definitely more of a challenge when key ingredients are not readily available! Our dinner tonight, adapted from Mexico the Beautiful Cookbook:

Bay scallops a la Mexicana – with tomatoes, white onion, garlic, pickled jalapenos, black pepper, bay leaves, parsley, and thyme. Scallops were sautéed in butter and then simmered in the sauce. Mrs. C (not normally a scallop fan) had seconds, and perhaps even thirds. :smile:

Chard and spinach with potato and chorizo – plus more white onion and tomatoes. Potatoes and chorizo overcame the boys’ usual aversion to spinach.

Guacamole

gallery_42956_2536_238045.jpg

• Like 1

Oh my goodness! WHat beautiful dishes!! Now I am inspired once again! I have done the tortilla dinner twice now-with all the necessary ingredients. Even fussy 14 year old got into it finally! Time to move on. I will go through the thread to get the next idea. Thank you sooo much "Beautiful Savory Swimmer"...

• 4 months later...

I bought a packet of these at the local Mexican market. I think the man called them "huaraches". That's a word I've previously only heard used for woven leather sandals.

They are a quadruple thick corn tortilla, essentially. They're about 10" long (that's the large burner on the stove).

The internet shows pictures of them used for tostadas etc.

I toasted one and make a quesadilla with it, but was not impressed. Its too thick and stodgy.

I'm much inclined to stick to regular corn tortillas.

Has anyone used these things and been happy about it? What how why ?! Thanks.

2012-03-28 download 315.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Wow, huaraches.... Down here we'd use that with intensely spiced carne adobado, sort of as a trencher (although I'm unsure whether this is the Mexican use as well). Once they've absorbed a bunch of the sauce from the meat, they're spread with crumbled cheese and eaten by slices.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I bought a packet of these at the local Mexican market. I think the man called them "huaraches". That's a word I've previously only heard used for woven leather sandals.

They are a quadruple thick corn tortilla, essentially. They're about 10" long (that's the large burner on the stove).

The internet shows pictures of them used for tostadas etc.

I toasted one and make a quesadilla with it, but was not impressed. Its too thick and stodgy.

I'm much inclined to stick to regular corn tortillas.

Has anyone used these things and been happy about it? What how why ?! Thanks.

2012-03-28 download 315.jpg

Hello... Huaraches are THE regional antojito in many towns around Mexico City (and in the city proper as well)... basically they are the Sope of that area although the toppings are very regional... meaning your typical Huarache lady is more like to have Huitlacoche, Squash Blossoms, Nopales, Cecina, Carne Adobada etc., than Carnitas, Shredded Chicken etc.,

Fellow Egullet poster Menu In Progress has a nice post on Huaraches:

http://menuinprogress.com/2008/03/mexico-city-el-huarache-azteca.html

I personally wouldn't buy the packaged version myself... but the way to reheat them is to melt a little lard & brush all over the huarache then reheat it on a hot comal / skillet, flipping after the oil sizzles & the wafting aromas of toasted corn make you salivate... then proceed to top as desired.

Perhaps the most memorable Huarache I've had was at the mercado in Xochimilco... it had black beans pureed with avocado leaf, then a layer of chopped lamb barbacoa, then a layer of fried, battered whole charales (a smelt like fresh water fish), crumbles of fresh goat cheese & a chunky green salsa

• 3 months later...

This deal for a Tamale-Making Class with Beer Flight for one or two, at what seems to be a very reasonable cost (using the Groupon deal) just appeared in my email this morning.

For anyone who lives near the Silver Lake district in L.A. this should be fun.

It might be fun for a small group if you can convince others to buy the deal.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 1 month later...

Usually I wait until our local grocer gets Seville Oranges in, and then I squeeze and freeze juice for pibil. I had never looked for bottled Naranja Agria juice, so maybe this is something everyone knew but me, but yesterday, while strolling through a local Mexican market, I discovered several brands, among them "Badia." Goya makes a "sour orange marinade," but I didn't check to see if there is anything added.

Still, I was very glad to see that sour orange juice is a product that I can buy bottled. Who knew? Not me.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Last night I made the enchiladas de chile ajo featured on the cover of the Mexico issue of Saveur. I don't have much experience making any enchiladas, and this is my first time making the dip-and-roll kind, so by the time I was done the last one, the first ones were decidedly cold. I guess keeping them in the oven, or at least using heated plates, would help! I used store-bought tortillas, and found them a bit heavy. Sadly, I don't have a lot of choice for brands of corn tortillas around here. The sauce seemed a bit thick, though again I assume that's user error, but it was delicious, and I would make it again. Whenever I make chilli-based sauces like this, I'm very grateful for my Vita Mix!

Saveur enchiladas.jpg

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

They look pretty good from here!

If the sauce is too thick, you can thin it out with a little chicken stock.

I like to dip, stuff and roll and then move on to the next plate. I think three or four is a lot. Normally i make two plus salad and beans on the side. But when all are assembled, then you can pour over the extra chile sauce (that's hopefully still hot) and then crumble a little cheese.

Conventional wisdom says that older, slightly stale tortillas don't absorb as much oil and are better to use than super fresh ones. I don't know if it's really true but I always hear this and follow the advice.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Thank you both! I'm sure I'm being too hard on myself... they were pretty good! The sauce was probably fine when it first went into the pan, but the recipe calls for you to simmer it to reduce, and I'm not sure it was necessary. When serving them, I made my husband's plate first and served it to him, then made my own, so we could both eat while they were still at least warm, even if it meant not quite eating together. Pouring some of the extra sauce over top would have been a good idea, for sure.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I made the cover recipe a few weeks ago as well and thought it quite good. I really like the flavor profile. I ended up with a good bit of sauce and it had great consistency. The recipe is pretty straightforward and the directions easy to follow. It took a little longer to make than I had anticipated, but that was just a miscalculation on my part. This enchilada sauce is definitely worth making.

I have the ability to get good quality tortillas already made, but I made my own which I think did contribute to the success of the dish a little bit. These are dip, stuff and eat-right-away style enchilada. I served 2 enchiladas per plate and did spoon some of the hot sauce over them right before I put them on the table.

I'd encourage anyone to try this recipe, it's not super hard, but it is pretty darned tasty.

I made the cover recipe a few weeks ago as well and thought it quite good. I really like the flavor profile. I ended up with a good bit of sauce and it had great consistency. The recipe is pretty straightforward and the directions easy to follow. It took a little longer to make than I had anticipated, but that was just a miscalculation on my part. This enchilada sauce is definitely worth making.

I have the ability to get good quality tortillas already made, but I made my own which I think did contribute to the success of the dish a little bit. These are dip, stuff and eat-right-away style enchilada. I served 2 enchiladas per plate and did spoon some of the hot sauce over them right before I put them on the table.

I'd encourage anyone to try this recipe, it's not super hard, but it is pretty darned tasty.

Lately, I have dished mestizo style enchiladas in favor of pre hispanic style... it solves the issue of keeping them warm for multiple diners, skips the messy wrapping step, and offers greater plating & flavoring possibilities. Basically, you make a gordita on the comal (a tortilla that is anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1/2 thick).... after the surface is fully seared & you have the nice char spots... you simmer a batch in the enchilada sauce (such as the one referenced above) for about 10 minutes... then top with a wide range of ingredients... hard boiled turkey eggs, quelites, frog legs, various meats and more were described by various Spaniards who witnessed the great market of Tlatelolco.

I personally am a big fan of topping them with a mound of raw greens previously tossed with warm cecina or chicharron then plopping a fried egg over that & a sprinkling of fish roe.

• 2 weeks later...

Catching up on this thread after a spate of Mexican (and sorta-Mexican) cooking. I look forward to seeing what everyone else is making!

Puerco al passilla enmielado

p110589046-4.jpg

Chileatole rojo de pollo con ejotes y papas

p1172618252-4.jpg

Arroz verde al Poblano

p1172618246-4.jpg

Huevos rancheros with, um, bacon

p1157979522-4.jpg

Carne asada al guajillo

p1128876274-4.jpg

Mixed seafood with salsa de chile guajillo

p1140714034-4.jpg

Platanos fritos

p793410940-4.jpg

Albondigas

p111577768-4.jpg

Picadillo

p988249007-4.jpg

I am drooling. Big time.

Love the designation of 'sort-a' Mexican. Much of my cooking could be called by that name. Nothing to show of late. But we'll be back...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thank you, Darienne

Dinner from Diana Kennedy’s From My Mexican Kitchen

Chorizo y papa: Potatoes, cubed and boiled. Chorizo, crumbled and fried. Add potatoes and chopped chipotle en adobo, and fry until crisp. Serve on corn tortillas with salsa, minced white onion, and crumbled queso fresco.

Salsa de jitomate: Pick tomatoes and Serrano chiles from the garden. Dry-roast the tomatoes, chiles, and garlic on a comal. Blend to a textured sauce and top with minced white onion and chopped cilantro.

p1184900404-4.jpg

Thank you, Darienne

Dinner from Diana Kennedy’s From My Mexican Kitchen

Chorizo y papa: Potatoes, cubed and boiled. Chorizo, crumbled and fried. Add potatoes and chopped chipotle en adobo, and fry until crisp. Serve on corn tortillas with salsa, minced white onion, and crumbled queso fresco.

Salsa de jitomate: Pick tomatoes and Serrano chiles from the garden. Dry-roast the tomatoes, chiles, and garlic on a comal. Blend to a textured sauce and top with minced white onion and chopped cilantro.

p1184900404-4.jpg

Tacos de papas y chorizo from Kennedy's original book is one of my favorite things; I like it with tomatillo sauce.

Tacos de papas y chorizo from Kennedy's original book is one of my favorite things; I like it with tomatillo sauce.

Tomatillo salsa would go very well - I will try that another time. Thanks for the suggestion!

My all-time favorite Mexican potato dish is papas chirrionas from The Art of Mexican Cooking - I have a deep and abiding love for the flavor of chile pasilla.