• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Mexican at home

• 2 months later...

Chilorio (ancho chile-seasoned pork), with guacamole and salsa Mexicana on flour tortillas. Recipe from Mexico the Beautiful Cookbook, my first new (to me) cookbook in quite some time, so of course I had to give it a test-drive.

No picture, but two other recipes from the book - puntas de filete a la Mexicana (Mexican-style beef tips) and ejotes con cebolla y jitomate (green beans with onion and tomato) - also hit the spot.

gallery_42956_2536_894505.jpg

Looks delicious, C.Sapidus.

Thanks for the heads up on the cookbook. My daughter intends to buy me a cookbook for my birthday and now I have to pick one... :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Chilorio (ancho chile-seasoned pork), with guacamole and salsa Mexicana on flour tortillas. Recipe from Mexico the Beautiful Cookbook, my first new (to me) cookbook in quite some time, so of course I had to give it a test-drive.

CS, believe it or not, that is one of my favorite books and contains one of my "go-to", super, super simple appetizers, Queso Panela con Orégano. The sheer size of the book makes it a little ackward to use in the kitchen, but it's got a lot of little gems in it. Happy cooking :smile:

[Recipe from Mexico the Beautiful Cookbook, my first new (to me) cookbook in quite some time, so of course I had to give it a test-drive.

Oops. Looked up the cookbook on Amazon.com. I will not be asking my daughter for this wonderful book. $$$$$ :sad:

That leaves me only about 79 other Mexican cookbooks to choose from...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

[Recipe from Mexico the Beautiful Cookbook, my first new (to me) cookbook in quite some time, so of course I had to give it a test-drive.

Oops. Looked up the cookbook on Amazon.com. I will not be asking my daughter for this wonderful book. $$$$$ :sad:

That leaves me only about 79 other Mexican cookbooks to choose from...

Darienne, the used softback copy of the book is only $23 USD. If you want it, but a used copy of it, and buy the paperback version. The original book has been out of print which is why it's expensive. I don't really think there is a benefit to splurging for an unused version of the hardback book. I've purchased several things from Amazon using their "used" vendors and all my transactions have worked out just fine. Some of the items offered by the used vendors are actually new or almost new.

I own this book and wouldn't pay the $120+ Amazon is asking for the new hardback copies. I would, however, pay $23 for a used paperback copy in good to very good condition.

Darienne, the used softback copy of the book is only $23 USD. If you want it, but a used copy of it, and buy the paperback version. The original book has been out of print which is why it's expensive. I don't really think there is a benefit to splurging for an unused version of the hardback book. I've purchased several things from Amazon using their "used" vendors and all my transactions have worked out just fine. Some of the items offered by the used vendors are actually new or almost new.

I own this book and wouldn't pay the $120+ Amazon is asking for the new hardback copies. I would, however, pay $23 for a used paperback copy in good to very good condition.

On Amazon.ca (Canada), I can get the book for about $34 with S&H. But that doesn't help our daughter at all. This is supposed to be a surprise through my DH and he can tell her that I'd be thrilled with any book by Rick Bayless (except the one I own already). No muss, no fuss. I don't want her having to spend a lot of time and energy on this. And I will be thrilled anyhow.

Thanks for the great information!

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

No picture, but two other recipes from the book - puntas de filete a la Mexicana (Mexican-style beef tips) and ejotes con cebolla y jitomate (green beans with onion and tomato) - also hit the spot.

I have the original edition of this book. It's nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am surprised and saddened to hear that Mexico the Beautiful is out of print and pricey. We cooked from it again tonight. Elder son commented "You should make this when my friends come over for dinner." I replied, "Sure, but you need to give us more than 15 minutes notice." :biggrin:

Pollo al chipotle (chipotle chicken) - onion, garlic, tomatoes, cloves, cumin, pepper, and chipotles in adobo.

Papitas de cambray al ajo (new potatoes with garlic) - potatoes were boiled and then sauteed with butter, garlic, pepper, lemon juice, and Tapatio salsa. Mrs. C said they tasted like potatoes mashed inside their crispy skin.

Ensalata mixta con aderezo de aquacate (mixed salad with avocado dressing) - Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, scallions, and avocados, served with a dressing off mayo, garlic, shallots, lime juice, thyme, bay leaf, avocado, olive oil, and S&P. We will definitely make the dressing again.

gallery_42956_2536_590977.jpg

I've been thinking about this dish since you posted it, Bruce..it looks SO heart-stoppingly delicious. Question: I've looked up a few chilorio recipes online and most of them just specify 'boneless pork' - what cut did you use? I was thinking of using shoulder/butt, and leaving the fat on.

Also, did you cut yours into cubes or chunks and leave them that size? Again, most recipes seem to indicate to shred them into pulled pork, but yours looks quite chunky?

Question: I've looked up a few chilorio recipes online and most of them just specify 'boneless pork' - what cut did you use? I was thinking of using shoulder/butt, and leaving the fat on.

RRO, thank you! We used boneless country ribs out of necessity, but next time I will use shoulder/butt, trimmed of fat less than assiduously.

Also, did you cut yours into cubes or chunks and leave them that size? Again, most recipes seem to indicate to shred them into pulled pork, but yours looks quite chunky?

We left the pork in chunks - I like the texture - but shredded would be easier to stuff into a tortilla. Probably good either way.

Damn you C.Sapidus...I thought my coucous and mahi-mahi was going to be a pretty good dinner. I can see I chose WRONG!! :wink:

kalypso - thanks, I think? :laugh: Couscous and mahi-mahi sounds real good to me!

One more from Mexico the Beautiful Cookbook. Elder son is taking notes on meals he wants me to make for his friends. He calls this "teenager-friendly food."

Camarones al mojo de ajo (garlic shrimp): Marinate shimp with pureed garlic, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Mrs. C prefers the texture of cut-up shrimp, so that's what we did. Lots and lots of minced garlic fried in butter and olive oil, gently-cooked shrimp, and lime juice to finish. Old shoes al mojo de ajo would probably be pretty passable.

Arroz a la Mexicana (Mexican rice): pilaf-style rice with onion, pureed tomatoes, carrots, peas, Jalapeno chile, and chicken stock.

Salad with lettuce, jicama, avocado, tomatoes, green onions, and leftover avocado dressing.

gallery_42956_2536_100802.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus (log)

A veritable Mexican feast. In addition to what's on the plate, we had cilantro slaw as a salad.

Carnitas, simmered in orange juice and water, then a splash of brandy added and crisped in fat. Served in homemade corn tortillas with homemade tomato, onion and serrano and avocado/tomatillo salsas.

Homemade frijoles and red rice.

It was really, really good !

084.JPG

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

RRO, thank you! We used boneless country ribs out of necessity, but next time I will use shoulder/butt, trimmed of fat less than assiduously.

Well, I made it! It wasn't easy getting anchos and guajillos but nothing a little internet shopping couldn't fix. Mine is much less saucy than yours, so I might need to track down that Mexico the Beautiful cookbook and see if I can improve mine.

Thanks, Bruce!!

2011-07-03 at 18.44.01.jpg

Well, I made it! It wasn't easy getting anchos and guajillos but nothing a little internet shopping couldn't fix. Mine is much less saucy than yours, so I might need to track down that Mexico the Beautiful cookbook and see if I can improve mine.

Thanks, Bruce!!

2011-07-03 at 18.44.01.jpg

It looks wonderful. How did it taste?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It was fantastic! Smoky and vinegary and deeply savoury. I've made your carnitas (your posts are how I first heard of carnitas!) and love the hit of brown sugar to caramelise, so when the recipe I had for the chilorio (used this one) had no sugar, I was a bit doubtful that I would love the taste so much, but I kept the faith and have to say, I think an edge of sweetness would not play well here, to my palate anyway. I'm sure there are chilorio recipes with sugar in them (no?) but I really liked how deeply..savoury the meat was.

It was fantastic! Smoky and vinegary and deeply savoury. I've made your carnitas (your posts are how I first heard of carnitas!) and love the hit of brown sugar to caramelise, so when the recipe I had for the chilorio (used this one) had no sugar, I was a bit doubtful that I would love the taste so much, but I kept the faith and have to say, I think an edge of sweetness would not play well here, to my palate anyway. I'm sure there are chilorio recipes with sugar in them (no?) but I really liked how deeply..savoury the meat was.

I must say, I admire your persistence! I know it can't be easy to source Mexican ingredients Down Under.

And thanks for the compliment about the carnitas. Do you cook your Mexican specialties for your Aussie friends? What do they think? That you're quite mad?

Or that you're quite wonderful.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.