• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Episcopalian here. We are observing Lent again this year by giving up restaurant eating and donating what we figure we usually spend to the Food Pantry. We've done it for the last couple of years and it seems an appropriate abstention. We love to eat out, so it is a sacrifice, but it becomes a service with the donation. Since Sundays are excepted, we can still do brunch after church, too!
  3. eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

Pork tenderloin schnitzel, in a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and mayo. Very satisfying! Very economical, as well. HC
  4. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Zuccini Crust Hamburger Pizza The Shred The Dough--dried Zucchini/Asiago cheese/ Garlic /Basil/Almond Flour ParBake 475 20 mins on a stone Topped with Proval cheese/ Sauce/Burger The finish The Slice:
  5. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@Shelby That pork belly looks great. At least you have nothing to be jealous of with my dinner. My housemate brought home chicken take out last night. He likes to contribute to dinner once in awhile, either that, or he just gets hungry for fried chicken. I don't make fried chicken because I'm never quite satisfied with the results so I'm just as happy with takeout. All I had to make was coleslaw. I’m not so happy with the condiments that come with the chicken. These tortillas that they hand out, have to be the worst in Costa Rica. They have the flavor and texture of a paper towel made of corn and are scientifically designed to disintegrate when you try to wrap them around something. They call this interesting little item banana ceviche. it consists of green bananas and jalapenos steeped in a banana vinegar. It is vile. My housemate won't touch the peppers but he loves the bananas. He's welcome to them. The chicken was done well, very moist with a well seasoned crispy crust. They do chicken well here, and they do a lot of it. There are six take out chicken restaurants within a five block radius of my home. This one came from a takeout place about a mile from the house.
  6. Pickles

Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. For the balchao paste you will need: > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder > 1 tsp peppercorn > 6 garlic cloves > 1/2 tsp cloves > 1 inch cinnamon stick > Vinegar First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
  7. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@liamsaunthttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGTLM40/ref=asc_df_B01NGTLM405376623/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01NGTLM40&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198092200243&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1436836667145666206&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007460&hvtargid=pla-318198613386 Screw remover bits ...cheap
  8. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

My dream kitchen has Sub Zero. In my dreams only.
  9. eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

For years when I worked in an office at SEA-TAC airport we would go up to a small café in the terminal, "Waji's." I think it was owned and run by the same company that owns the Uwajimaya groceries in Portland and Seattle. They had the most delicious chicken katsu that was served with rice, salad and two potstickers. It wasn't until our Cook-Off that I realized that would be a dish that would be an Asian twist on the European schnitzel. I remember their chicken katsu was thin, but in the range of about 1/2", so I thought I'd pound it down to about 1/4" thickness. Dredged in flour, then egg, then panko and fried in canola oil. In this recipe you cut the "schnitzel" into strips to dip into the katsu sauce. The katsu sauce was a blend of Worcestershire, ketchup, soy sauce, and I added mirin, sugar and oyster sauce. I think it was too heavy on the Worcestershire, so next time I'll bring that down and probably boost the oyster sauce. 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup ketchup 2 tbsp. soy sauce white pepper 1 tbsp. Mirin 1 tbsp. sugar 2 tsp. oyster sauce Then for the salad I did sliced cucumbers and carrots that I shredded with one of the gadgets I've acquired over the years at Asian markets. The salad under the chicken katsu acted liked a rack to keep the fried katsu off the bottom of the plate and from getting soggy. I dressed the lettuce with some orange juice, rice vinegar and sprinkled in a few sesamed seeds and green onions. Mighty delicious this one.
  10. The first cut is the deepest.... oh, sorry, this isn’t eMusic.org.......I forgot But now you’re singing that tune and your tart looks delicious!
  11. A favorite snacking item here is Anderson's peanut butter filled pretzel nuggets! Love those things. Available at Costco and other major stores.
  12. Methodists (Episcopal-light, which in turn is Catholic-light) typically observe Lent in some fashion. I'm giving up Facebook (and finding I have SO much more time!). In the past, I've given up candy, soft drinks, things of that nature. Abstaining from meat was never a thing, for some reason. I knew better than to vow to give up wine.
  13. ...and you can always point out that you ran the risk of the reverse happening, too.
  14. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Gah everyone's food looks amazing. Very jealous of @liuzhou and @Duvel Summer rolls (yeah, I didn't do a good job rolling) and pork belly noodle bowls.
  15. Here in Atlantic Canada it's not uncommon even for non-Catholics to settle on a symbolic renunciation during Lent, though my family never did. My GF was raised Catholic, but she's currently keto-ing so A) going meatless would be a severe challenge, and B) she feels she's given up quite enough at present, thank you. I cracked her up the other day by quoting Tom Lehrer at her: "You're the girl my money's spent for, you're the girl I gave up Lent for..."
  16. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

The food is spectacular...but I am lusting for that tablecloth. So very beautiful.
  17. Today
  18. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

My dishwasher is the Frigidaire Professional. It stinks! I have had it repaired twice since buying it three years ago. And then recently, the handle fell off! That cannot be repaired because a screw on the upper right corner is stripped and won't come out, so you can't get to the area where you would reattach the handle. I have to stick chopsticks in the holes where the handle was attached to open it. Did I mention that it's only three years old? I am replacing it with a Bosch that does not have a handle. Argh, that is the fridge I have in my second kitchen, and I had the exact same issues! First the ice maker died, then the defrost clogged and flooded my wooden floor. I'm moving the Amana in my main kitchen over there to replace it once the demo starts on my main kitchen. My new fridge is a Sub Zero. I was able to get a floor model which saved a couple thousand dollars. Dinner last night was roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, french cut green beans, and carrots. No photos.
  19. eG Cook-Off 76: Consider the Schnitzel

I think it's quite relevant to our discussion. I'm finding that while the term schnitzel may hail from Austria, it really is a dish that transcends boundaries, (which I never realized until this eG Cook-Off). In a few minutes I'll post my latest derivation of the schnitzel that I made for dinner last night, and it could be said this one is thousands of miles from Vienna.
  20. Not usually. The gym I go to has little motivational games so I’m trying not to eat sugar for a week in order to earn a bingo square. I might try to keep that up, but more to lose a few pounds than for Jesus.
  21. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@Duvel That looks like one amazing feast!
  22. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I know what you mean. I was invited to dinner the other night and it was the usual arroz con pollo with smashed sweet plantains. Whatever the event, it is the ubiquitous arroz con pollo. And the more people that are are, the less chicken there is. I swear to God, they can feed a hundred people on one chicken. Jesus would be jealous.
  23. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

The festivities might go on here as well, but I am expected at work tomorrow
  24. Breakfast! 2018

An Instant Pot baked egg with spinach & mushrooms. The method was inspired by a couple of recipes in Melissa Clark's Instant Pot cookbook, Dinner in an Instant. The ingredients were inspired by leftovers
  25. Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Yes, They are going off right now outside my apartment. 10 pm. And I have to eat the same food almost every day with the same people, but in different houses each evening. You invited my family for dinner yesterday, so I must invite yours tomorrow, but will cook exactly the same food. I escaped the circuit today, but I don't think I can keep it up.
  1. Load more activity