• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. liuzhou

Breakfast! 2018

Pork and shiitake stuffed steamed bun. Chilli sauce dip. Two buns were consumed.
  3. We get filtered water from our refrigerator, but the filter does not remove the minerals. We already have distilled water on hand for other uses and cost (of distilled water) is not an issue.
  4. I use Mavea filtered water in my CSO. I believe @rotuts also uses filtered water. If cost is not an issue go with distilled water.
  5. Anyone using distilled water in the reservoir? The instructions to periodically decalcify the unit got my DH and I talking as we have very hard water.
  6. The GoSale.com site has reported good deals on the CSO over the last few weeks. An offer for a new oven for $173 just expired an hour ago. Gosale also alerted me to my unit on ebay ($132.49 including shipping. I added the Assurant 1 year service contract for another $7.49.) See https://www.gosale.com/5856938/cuisinart-cso-300n1-steam/
  7. Today
  8. Typical, unfortunately. Be patient if you can. Not long ago I purchased a Paderno colander from amazon for $73.58. Immediately afterward the price increased and is currently $154.84.
  9. No particular reason, just testing to see if I could get same results as my non-convection conventional oven. Results were actually better - nicely crisp in a shorter cook time. Forgot to take photo of the final result. Next time. PS - Used Steam Clean Function to clean up the splatter! Worked well!
  10. Why not steam bake? Disclaimer: steam bake is what I use for bacon...and for almost everything.
  11. @Dante, have you tried their goat milk gelato and if so, what did you think of it? Or maybe I have read it wrong and you are actually making it? And where in VT is Upper Valley? Is it near White River Junction? Maybe I already asked this and forgot? I grew up in the Champlain Valley so I know it's not that and we often traversed other parts of VT in order to visit relatives in western MA or travel to Boston but I'm not familiar with Upper Valley.
  12. That's weird. It's still showing a USD price of $15.04 sold by Amazon and no warning about low stock on the US site. Camelcamelcamel shows that there have been a few periods (the dotted lines) where Amazon didn't have the item but it's not showing it out of stock at the moment.
  13. New food blog post! https://dailyuv.com/feed/961596?utm_medium=email&utm_source=comment-alert&utm_content=/feed/961596
  14. Well that didn't last long. This morning I went to Amazon Australia to seal the deal on a Lodge pan and lid only to find that the price of the pan had gone from $21 to $83 because Amazon was no longer the seller. (see screenshot) Is it likely that Amazon is simply out of stock and that if I'm patient they will restock and the price will reset? Jack
  15. ElsieD

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Scallops on green curry risotto with a side of sauteed baby kale.
  16. Bacon, Bacon, Bacon! Wright’s Applewood Smoked Thick Sliced - Convection Bake - 375F - 15 Minutes; the tray was added to the oven before the oven preheated and the slices were flipped when there was 5 minutes left on the timer. We shared one piece as an appetizer before using the rest in tonight’s dinner - Linguine alla Carbonara (posted on the Dinner topic)
  17. This is the recipe from Simply French written by Patricia Wells and was one of America's first looks at the recipes of Chef Robuchon. I was at a private dinner in Las Vegas in 2005 and took my cookbook down there for him to sign. The book had come out in 1991 and here I was with the tattered pages for him to sign. The Cherry Clafoutis recipe had been loose for years. He had a big smile on his face as I sensed he was very proud that someone would come to meet him with this cookbook. At the time, he was a French Chef who had come to America with a recipe for "Puree de Pommes de Terre." It would quickly become a potato recipe for the ages.
  18. robirdstx

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Linguine alla Carbonara
  19. Yesterday
  20. JoNorvelleWalker

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 3)

And here I was expecting something else.
  21. chefmd

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Halibut and broccolni.
  22. scubadoo97

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Today I took 3 cans of white tuna and cold smoked the fish over apple wood. This actually works reall well Turned it into a rillette using Dukes mayo as the fat, a little squeezed orange, lemon and lime juice. Added a fine dice of the orange zest and a splash of a 21 year old Armagnac to the mix. Served on toasted bread points with a chiffonade of basil
  23. My annual Cherry Clafouti. The WA cherry crop is a little late this year as it was last year, but the cherries are huge and sweet. These are dark Bing cherries from the Yakima Valley, which is the richest agricultural region in our state. I usually soak the cherries overnight in Kirsch, but I didn't have any so this year I used Maker's Mark Kentucky Bourbon. What a match, cherries soaked in bourbon. I use a recipe from Simply French by Patricia Wells that is recipes from Joel Robuchon. It's my most cherished cookbook as Chef Robuchon signed it for me some years ago when I met him in Las Vegas.
  24. Dante

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Last night's dinner- fried chicken (Japanese/Korean/KFC herbs-spices) with sriracha cauliflower bites with peanut sauce, over corn/edamame succotash
  25. demiglace

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

I've never heard of them before.
  26. Anna N

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

Beef, tomato and icicle radishes. My first time with icicle radishes and they were inedible. Woody through and through.
  27. Today Kerry and I returned to My-Thai in Stoney Creek. A beer for me and ginger tea for Kerry. Crispy calamari. Beef salad and a bowl of rice. Panang chicken curry.
  28. ninagluck

Dinner 2018 (Part 1)

@Shelby, it has to be more cold than beautiful 😉
  1. Load more activity