• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. I made a tasty Americano the other day with the last of my bottle of rhubarb amaro. Good stuff! 1 oz amaro sfumato rabarbaro 1.5 oz Cocchi vermouth di Torino soda water
  4. I made the quick kimchi from Dining In with napa cabbage, garlic, ginger, fish sauce, rice vinegar, a crisp (red) apple, and salt. I didn't have gochugaru, the Korean chili powder, so I used piment d'espelette instead (vive la France!). It was very easy (I used gloves to give it a thorough massage before jarring it). I tried it right away, it was already good but missing something. A couple of days later, it is better, but I think I would tweak it a bit to make it exactly to my liking (more ginger maybe). I also miss the fermented more funky flavor of the real thing, to be perfectly honest. I made another kimchi omelette with it. It's growing on me!
  5. C. sapidus

Breakfast 2024

Chipotle cream sauce for leftover potatoes and green beans, topped with feta cheese and a quick shallot pickle. Shallot pickle is getting crisper and spicier. Chipotle sauce included fried onion and garlic, freshly ground cloves, cumin, and Mexican cinnamon, and cilantro. Would make again. 🙂
  6. omg I need that meat bag.
  7. I couldn't find one, either. And yes, it's very expensive for what it is, so I hope someone is able to provide the exact proportions for you. The company is based in Monsey, NY, so it's undoubtedly owned and run by members of the Hasidic community there—which, in my opinion, accounts for the ridiculous price ($13/lb from Amazon).
  8. Pineapple vinegar is another mild one that could be used as a sub.
  9. liuzhou

Dinner 2024

I boil the noodles for one minute, drain then fry. The other stuff is fried first until almost done and then I add the boiled noodles. They have never stuck in th hundreds of times I've done something similar.
  10. KennethT

Dinner 2024

How do you cook the fresh noodles? Do you boil/drain then add to the stir fry or stir fry directly? Do you need to do anything to keep them from sticking in the wok?
  11. rotuts

Dinner 2024

@Maison Rustique a secret benefit of cooking for one is planned leftovers. some of the things I cook are good for several days after on purposes. that goes for shopping also I buy 2 packs of Capari tomatoes from TJ's that's 4 days worth of tomatoes when I start in on a pack. etc.
  12. liuzhou

Dinner 2024

Chicken liver and matsutake fried noodles*. Also contained garlic, ginger, chilli, Chaoshan fish sauce, soy sauce, coriander leaf and Chinese chives. *Fresh hand-pulled noodles. I know they were fresh and hand pulled because I saw them being made when I was in the local noodle shack this morning . They aren't on their menu but I pleaded insanity again and scored some to take home to make this dish. They know me well.
  13. I tried Rorie’s grain free flour for Passover and really liked the flour combo but it’s really expensive. It’s almond flour, coconut flour and arrowroot flour, in that order. I was wondering if anyone had a copycat recipe for the mixture. Looked under Paleo recipes and they used more arrowroot that coconut, so what I saw was clearly different.
  14. Maison Rustique

Dinner 2024

Still trying to get the hang of cooking for one. A friend foraged some wild onions and shared with me. I roasted some with some tomatoes that needed to be used. Then used that with some ham (also on last legs), a tortilla, eggs and odds and ends of cheeses that were over-staying their welcome. Not pretty, but it was tasty and got a few things used instead of tossing them.
  15. This is BC only, but a bunch of Juwei brand food products have been recalled for potential listeria. I doubt many of us have a pack of "spicy duck esophagus" in our pantries, bit if so... https://recalls-rappels.canada.ca/en/alert-recall/juewei-brand-meat-and-vegetable-products-recalled-due-listeria-monocytogenes?utm_source=gc-notify&utm_medium=email&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=hc-sc-rsa-22-23
  16. I didn't find that firmness to be the case, not even close to what you've experienced.
  17. I never heard of these Korean dogs. But the more I learn about them the more I just want an old-fashioned state fair corn dog. Thanks, but I'll take my mozzarella on a pizza. As for rolling a panko breaded hot dog in sugar, well, the end is nigh.
  18. Dejah

Dinner 2024

Thanks for the Enchilada sauce recipe, @Tropicalsenior! Saved onto my files! Made a Weight Watchers Bouillabaisse for supper. Didn't have crusty bread, so we used paratha. We used a spoon to slurp up the amazing broth!
  19. They were on sale for $1:69/lb where the Pink Lady was $1.99/lb and Honey Crisp was $2.49/lb. Those WildTwist were not worth the $1.69/lb worst apples ive had in a while.
  20. I don’t understand what you mean by early season? Unless you’re getting these from the southern hemisphere, apple season in North America is autumn, I think.
  21. I didn't find that firmness to be the case, not even close to what you've experienced.
  22. I think the cheese dogs are essentially mozzarella sticks on a stick? I do appreciate a good corn dog, so I’m mostly curious about these snacks. has anyone actually tried one?
  23. They were so firm they bruised my gums trying to bite into them. It could be early season, but i have not had that issue with Pink Lady, or Honey Crisp during the same season. I am not sure how you can explain that.
  24. Yes, we get those here, too. But the 'small red onions' above are not segmented at all; they are exactly like red onions but small. 5cm / 2 inches in diameter.
  25. https://www.ohkdog.com/menu I don't understand. Are these fried cheese/corn dogs? They look unappetizing. I wouldn't mind a kimchi dog at all though.
  26. The hot dogs have been a thing for a while. This one on Ludlow Street opened a few years ago; it drew big crowds for a while; don't know if it still does. https://www.ohkdog.com/ With Katz's around the corner, I find very little reason to ever try a Korean hot dog.
  1. Load more activity