• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

I didnt even realize when I first got one of those. If I hadent read about them here I dont think I would have gotten it open.

:blink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I am so jealous, I have never seen those in Japan before!!

I want some too!

Kristin,

I would love to see the variety you have, too! I must not be looking at the right places... As for the hazelnut/chocolate pocky, I can only eat 1 or 2 sticks at a sitting whereas with the original pocky, I could practically eat the whole packet!

These were interesting because I have never seen the packaging for Pocky with the LU brand before. Apparently, they are now marketing for Glico in the US. I tried to find out more info on the LU/Glico connection but instead found out that they also market "Pocky" as a product called "Mikado" in Europe. Wouldn't it be great to see some of those "euro-pocky", as well?

enjoy!

N.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

• 1 month later...

I'm eating some Honey & Milk pocky, they are very good- the box is quickly getting lighter....

also picked up some strawberry cream ones which are in my favorites catagory. I saw the grape today but didn't get them- maybe next time!

gallery_19027_3941_1177165.jpg

Along with fellow eGulleteer KatieM, I worked on a tree for our Junior League Festival of Trees. Our theme was children around the world. We decided children around the world love candy, and got a bunch of international candy to hang on the tree. We originally planned on hanging the Pocky from the tree, but we were in need of a tree topper and were inspired to create a Pocky tree topper :cool:

Edited by annarborfoodie (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone else had the Red Bean Pocky? A friend sent me some from down in Cali and it was...interesting. Tasted pretty much like beans cooked with sugar.

I'm going to have to hunt down that Hazelnut Chocolate stuff. Considering that Oregon is Hazelnut Central, hopefully they'll be in our Uwajimaya.

"d00d where r u???"

"im in ur kichen cookin ur f00dz!"

loove pocky, almond crushed ones are my new favorites. got my friends hooked on 'em too. used to only get the strawberry or choc. pocky @ jollibee store in bergenfield nj but since relocated down to central jersey. found almond crushed pocky at this asian mart in princeton.

• 1 month later...

Sunrise Market on Broome St. in NYC has a fantastic selection of all kinds of snacks and treats, including a large selection of Pocky and Pretz flavors (Pretz being the cracker-type equivalent of Pocky). My favorite was the french toast/maple syrup flavor :smile:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought some Giant Pocky (looks like this) at Mitsuwa yesterday. Individually-wrapped giant sticks of pocky. The box was so large that I was slightly self-conscious in the checkout line.

Anyway, I've always thought pocky just ok, but this stuff is much more to my liking...really good actually. It's like a large, slightly sweet bread stick dipped in chocolate. Tastes less of the chocolate compared to the regular-sized pocky. About $10 at Mitsuwa.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a new japanese snack obsession. my office is right down the street from sunrise market, on broome street in soho, and i go there frequently. i have found these thin, salty rice crackers that i can't seem to get enough of! they come in huge bags, for only $2 a bag. seriously though, i could go through a whole bag in one sitting if i really wanted to...

so yummy! :smile:

• 4 months later...

One of the rare occasions that make me want to buy pocky:

My daughter's birthday is in September, when strawberries are not in season, so I often buy a box of strawberry pocky or fran (Meiji's product similar to pocky) to make a birthday cake.

gallery_16375_4595_65723.jpg

This particular one is flavorful and contains 25% strawberry flesh.

Inside:

gallery_16375_4595_185.jpg

Resultant cake, with canned cherries and sticks of strawberry pocky on top, which is made by my son and daughter.

gallery_16375_4595_61320.jpg

Edited by Hiroyuki (log)

That looks really cute, Hiroyuki (happy birthday to your daughter)! It's kind of inspiring me now to make a "Pocky"ed-up cake. (I'll have to search for non-chocolate Pocky.)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

• 2 weeks later...
Resultant cake, with canned cherries and sticks of strawberry pocky on top, which is made by my son and daughter.

gallery_16375_4595_61320.jpg

Hiroyuki, this is pure genius! My daughter's birthday is next month and I am going to copy your idea. However, I will use green tea mousse pocky as that is her favorite flavor.

Now, I just need to find a recipe for green tea cake!

• 2 weeks later...
Kris? How is the Tahitian Vanilla. Ive been waiting forever for that to come to H-Mart here. My son must have it.

I didn't care for it, but I also detest all types of white chocolate...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 months later...

I just discovered the joy that is Pocky and now I am addicted!

Can anyone recommend a good place in NYC to pick up some of the more interesting types?

I know that several places were listed up thread but those posts are several years old so I wanted to double check the suggestions.

Thanks!