• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

We recently got back from Tokyo. I think I ate Pocky of some kind every single day while we were over there. Mostly the standard chocolate kind but I did try some other kinds while we were there:

- Chocolate Mousse Pocky - it was OK. I didn't like it as much as the original.

- Banana-Chocolate Pocky - sooooo good. We ate probably 4 metric tons of banana-chocolate rolled crepes on the street while we were there, I think these Pocky are meant to evoke those flavors.

- Milk Tea Pocky - this was weird to me. I fell in love with the hot canned Royal Milk Tea from the vending machines but this Pocky didn't taste like that to me. Maybe I didn't like it because it felt weird eating something solid that tasted like something that was usually liquid. Who knows.

- Strawberry Pocky - it was very strawberry, but not my fave.

I kept looking for the inside-out Pocky I never could find it.

The other kind we had was "Men's Pocky" which I haven't seen here in the states. It's just regular Pocky with a dark chocolate coating. That was excellent.

The only thing better than Pocky are Pocky commercials, which are just hilarious - but then most Japanese commercials we saw were hilarious.

There are some japanese bars where u can order pocky...comes in a glass with some blue liquor or liquid of some sort...

That sounds kind of scary. Any places you can recomend? Mens Pocky + Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale sounds like a not so bad combination.

• 1 month later...
We recently got back from Tokyo. I think I ate Pocky of some kind every single day while we were over there.

The other kind we had was "Men's Pocky" which I haven't seen here in the states. It's just regular Pocky with a dark chocolate coating. That was excellent.

Keep looking, Men's Pocky is my all time favorite and is available here in Vancouver BC so hopefully you can find it in your local area.

Speaking of Vancouver, any sign of Roasted Corn Pretz in our fair city? Sadly, my search at both T&T and Fujiya came up empty. :sad:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Speaking of Vancouver, any sign of Roasted Corn Pretz in our fair city?  Sadly, my search at both T&T and Fujiya came up empty.  :sad:

Someone was mentioning a while back that they couldn't find these any more either. I started looking for them here in Japan and have seen no sign of them. Today I went to the pretz homepage and it looks like they changed the packaging on it (the one on the right). It seems to be a smaller size with a little boy on the box, looks like they are aiming it more at kids??

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

That's the form factor that I have the not so delicious apple pretz in.

According to this site:

http://www.japanesesnacks.com/newjs.php?id=164

The Baked Corn Pretz is "discontinued" but I don't know how reliable it is. Sad, as they were some of my favorites.

http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/searc...0470&sk=MX51419

Has the ones that I used to like, but I'm hesitant to do my Pretz shopping on the internet.

They also stopped stocking Honey Butter Pretz at my local store so there may be some truth to that first site.

Edited to add: Oh and if you poke around on the pocky/pretz websites you can find some incredible commericals. My favorite is the Decorer Pocky one.

Edited by fauxtarga (log)

I started looking for them here in Japan and have seen no sign of them.

The Baked Corn Pretz is "discontinued" but I don't know how reliable it is. Sad, as they were some of my favorites.

Say it isn't so! Ah, 'tis a sad day in Mudville, that's for sure. :sad:

It's almost like eating the last piece of chocolate without being aware of it. And I didn't even get the chance to stockpile. Sigh.

Oh well. Thanks for the info nonetheless.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

According to this site:

http://www.japanesesnacks.com/newjs.php?id=164

Good lord, why? Those ROCK. I can eat boxes of it in one sitting.

I AM assuming that "Baked Corn" and "Roasted Corn" Pretz are the same item though.

I just found another yummy one!

Morinaga's Koeda in N.Y. brownie flavor

As someone born in N.Y. I have to ask...

...what's a N.Y. Brownie? :wacko:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Whoa.. STRAWBERRY Pocky G?

it is called berry and it lists both strawberry powder and raspberrry powder as ingredients. The cookie is still chocolate.

T'was the first time I'd seen a box of this in our local Asian supermarket and had to taste-test it for myself.

gallery_18820_1156_24370.jpg

Much tastier than regular Strawberry Pocky; the chocolate cookie's slight bitterness effectively cuts the sweetness of the berry-flavoured icing. One bag disappeared in about 2.2 seconds flat. However, I still think that Strawberry Mousse Pocky edges out Berry Pocky G in the berry-flavour department.

Joie Alvaro Kent

Ah yes, Kris wrote about that a while back. I had it myself a few months ago and agree with your observation that the chocolate cookie/"berry" icing combo (Kris reported it was a combo of both strawberry and raspberry) is kind of cool. Like Kris though I don't think it works quite as well as the now classic "regular" Pocky G, or for that matter the kick-ass "Reverse" product.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

On the advice of this thread, I recently went to a local Asian market and picked up some Pocky. Thus far I've enjoyed Men's Pocky, Pocky G, a chocolate Mousse Pocky.

My 5-year-old niece has taken quite a shine to them as well...yesterday, surrounded by a sea of Easter candy (Orthodox Easter was yesterday), she asked her mom not for a chocolate egg or other Easter treat but instead for "some Pocky."

Like Kris though I don't think it works quite as well as the now classic "regular" Pocky G, or for that matter the kick-ass "Reverse" product.

I agree - the "Reverse" is definitely my favorite. Bonus - if you accidently leave a box lying around in the summer, you won't find a sticky mess later!

The newest pocky just made it debut this week, pocky decorer in two flavors:

http://www.glico.co.jp/pocky/decorer/index.htm

In the interests of all things Pocky, I taste-tested a box of these yesterday.

gallery_18820_1156_51498.jpg

Strawberry Chocolate Decorer

Nice thick coating, though not as creamy as the Pocky Mousse varieties. Unfortunately, any chocolate taste was overpowered by the rather strong strawberry flavour; when I did manage to get a hint of chocolate, it was milk chocolate which I find less complimentary to strawberries than dark chocolate. If it's a berry and chocolate combination I'm looking for, I'd much rather pick up a box of Berry Pocky G.

Joie Alvaro Kent

I always avoid anything strawberry flavored.....

the caramel ones Jon mentioned are good!!

I ate them a page back :biggrin:

Thanks for refreshing my memory on those Jon and Kris. I saw them in the store and wondered if they were too sweet as caramel-flavoured things often are.

Joie Alvaro Kent

I finally found the men's Pocky which I haven't tried yet and the green tea mousse Pocky- It has a definite hint of green tea, mostly in the scent. Not bad.

My favorite is the Glico (doesn't say Pocky) chocolate Pocky I got in Paris a month ago. No artificial flavors it appears. Made in France. True chocolate flavor. I will have to upload an image. I wish I had bought more!

I am sad to say that I have never tried Pocky before. :blink:

However, I shall be able to remedy that after a trip to the Wal-Mart Supercenter, the only place for miles around that carries it, from what I've seen. They have two flavors, the regular chocolate, and I'm not sure of the other one.

Does anybody know if they have ever made a chocolate mint or a mint flavor? That's my all time favorite combination.

Thank you to everyone for your testing and picture posting! eGullet is opening up a whole new world for me!

Erin

"American by birth, Irish by the grace of God"