• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pocky (and Pocky-like snacks)

stefanyb

That site rocks!!!

I think the only rare I have seen is a rainbow pocky.  I didn't get to try it since my buddy was not opening it yet.  Doh!

Ben

I just saw the rainbow ones yesterday for the first time, they were jumbo size and on the reduced shelf at the supermarket.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks for the link! There are so many regional and seasonal Pockys I've never seen- I'll have to pay more attention from now on. I'm especially upset that I didn't know about the Canadian Maple Syrup Pocky!

About the 'Men's Pocky'- I think it's just because lots of Japanese men don't really have a sweet tooth. Pocky and other sweets are mostly consumed by women and kids (and even then, it's the girl kids who eat the most sweets). So in an effort to capture a larger audience they made a Pocky that was more bitter and less sweet, that men would supposedly like. MY Japanese man likes it just fine, but prefers the normal sweet ones, especially strawberry, white chocolate, and the new mousse types (with a fatter, more 'moussy' coating).

Me? Almond and chocolate mousse.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus

i just found pocky for the first time at Captain Fresh Seafood & Farms in Ledgewood

thought the chocolate almond crunch was a bit too sweet but like the green tea mousse

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 4 months later...

I love all pocky but my favorite is the Giant Pockys (Pockies?) When my friend first brought them to a party, for reasons known only to herself, I remember thinking, "What the hell is that!" And then I ate as many as I could.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

The newest pocky just made it debut this week,

pocky decorer in two flavors:

http://www.glico.co.jp/pocky/decorer/index.htm

Mont Blanc Chocolat and Strawberry Gateaux? Are these Eurotrash Pocky flavors?

I picked up a pack of the mont-blanc chocolat ones today and just pulled them out now.

The box says (in English) Just like a decoration cake on a stick!

I just ate 3 and didn't really care for it, the chocolate part is too thick and tastes like cheap whipped buttercream, there is no chestnut flavor that I can determine.

I doubt i will try the strawberry ones, because I detest fake strawberry flavor.....

Must say I'm not really crazy about Pocky in any form, but they do make perfect cake decorations:

- whiskers for the bunny cake I make my son every Easter

- drawbidge planks for the elaborate castle cake he wanted for his last birthday.

I've been through bunny cakes for Easter, pumpkin cakes for Halloween/October birthday, castle cakes, and dinosaur cakes. This year he wants a superhero party. Not quite sure what to do for this one, but there's a good chance it will feature Pocky.

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

Hi everyone.

I absolutely love this thread about pocky. I'm of mixed Asian/Cauasian heritage and have been eating pocky since I was a little kid and my mom would buy it for me. I think the green tea flavours must be my favourite right now, even though I really love that panda cookie too (it's the little cookies shaped like pandas that have chocolate or some other fruity cream inside). The Pocky for Men (even though I am not a male) is really good too just because it has the darker chocolate with a wheat cracker instead of the regular cracker (not sure what it's made of). And I never really thought about why there would be a specific one for men. I mean, it does seem to be more manly since the chocolate is darker and the cracker is made of wheat which is a bit rougher. Maybe that whole brand of thinking shows up in the Asian half of my upbringing. :laugh:

You all make me want to go out and buy some right now!

PS- This is my first post ever on egullet.com. And it's on Pocky. Gorgeous. :raz:

• 3 months later...

i used to eat TONS of that stuff as a kid.

my GF is crazy about the strawberry pocky.

http://www.glico.co.jp/pocky/pocky/index.htm

Their TV ads are INANE! This japanese lady going around snapping the pretzel in her mouth, looking really happy. She's walking down the street, snaps a pretzel. She's sitting on a swing, snaps the pretzel. And the voice over sings chirpily "OK Pocky, listen to your heart today, ok ok pocky" and the ad ends with a really cheesy Japanese Accented voice (like the Iron Chef host) saying "Chocolate or Strawberry"

You can get Pocky that's like 6" long and ones that are a foot long and about as thick as your little finger. Giant Pocky.

There are also a whole bunch of strange Pocky flavours you can get in Japan you can't get anywhere else; and I want them!

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

• 4 months later...

I still think Pocky G is the best flavor. Its like Oreo cookie wafers, but in a stick.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Could anybody tell me if Fran of Meiji is disscussed in this thread or anywhere else? Mousse Pocky of Glico is quite similar to Fran of Meiji, but Meiji is the first to introduce this kind of pocky. Does anyone know of Fran?

Could anybody tell me if Fran of Meiji is disscussed in this thread or anywhere else? Mousse Pocky of Glico is quite similar to Fran of Meiji, but Meiji is the first to introduce this kind of pocky. Does anyone know of Fran?

Yes, I tried Fran.... but do not really care for them since the mousse is too sweet and rich.

My favourite kind of Pocky

Chocolate Banana (I can't find this anywhere)

Pocky G

Coconut with White chocolate

Original Chocolate Pocky

There is a discussion of Fran and another Pocky like snack around here somewhere....

I have to admit to not caring Fran as much.....

The newest Pocky:

http://www.glico.co.jp/pocky/lineup/index.htm

crushed strawberry, cocnut milk, and orange-chocolate

I tried the orange-chocolate the other day and it was quite good!

i7512.jpg

i7513.jpg

We purchased these the other day at Mitsuwa in Edgewater, New Jersey.

The coconut milk flavor sort of tastes like Girl Scout Samoa Cookies. Very coconutty. Would go nice as swizzle sticks for Pina Colada or stuck into a Thai sticky rice dessert.

The Orange/Chocolate flavor "Tastes like the chocolate dipped orange peels you eat on Passover" according to Rachel. I liked it, nice Orange/Chocolate combination flavor.

Kris, have you tried the Pocky G "Special Cacao" flavor yet? I'm looking forward to this one, as the regular Pocky G is still my favorite by far.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Amasing.  Could I ask how much each one costs?

I beleive it was about $2.40 per box, which makes that 265.30 Japanese Yen. Pocky G was also onsale for $1.99, so I bought two boxes of it! What does it cost in Japan?

And yeah, two boxes of Corn Pretz as well. I like Corn Pretz. It tastes like Corn.