Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Marlene

Camping, Princess Style

Recommended Posts

In other news: I decided, somewhat belatedly, to establish a sourdough starter from Tucson and see whether it differs significantly from my North Woods starter. I haven't been baking much for the last year, and I've neglected my 5-year-old starter until it was a flaccid layer with black hooch on top. (I almost dumped it before we left home.) Yesterday I began feeding it and began a Tucson starter at the same time. Two feedings later, the North Woods starter is alive and well. The Tucson starter doesn't look like much yet, but it seems to be bubbling. This was taken about 8 hours after this morning's feeding.

 

20181119_150434.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

In other news: I decided, somewhat belatedly, to establish a sourdough starter from Tucson and see whether it differs significantly from my North Woods starter. I haven't been baking much for the last year, and I've neglected my 5-year-old starter until it was a flaccid layer with black hooch on top. (I almost dumped it before we left home.) Yesterday I began feeding it and began a Tucson starter at the same time. Two feedings later, the North Woods starter is alive and well. The Tucson starter doesn't look like much yet, but it seems to be bubbling. This was taken about 8 hours after this morning's feeding.

 

20181119_150434.jpg

How do you make your starter?  I have had mixed success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

How do you make your starter?  I have had mixed success.

 

The North Woods starter was begun per instructions in the conversation that began in Baking Bread from Scratch in France and continued into Establishing and Working with Homegrown Sourdough Starter. This Tucson strain I simply began from 50g all-purpose flour and 50g tap water; I refresh it by discarding half and refreshing with equal quantities of water and flour. As I look back on the original topic I see that the instructions for getting it going began with a thick paste, not specific quantities. I'd forgotten that. We'll see what happens!


Edited by Smithy fiddling with words (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I looked at "Eat Mesquite and More" today and thought about buying it, but decided I was kidding myself that I'd get much use from it given our normal locations. I'm glad to know you find it useful.

 

 

I don't find it useful as much as I find it informative and entertaining. 😉

 

I'm up there with @Anna N - sometimes a cookbook is just a good read! 

 

I'm not a forager and not sure how many of the recipes I would ever use (maybe none) and as you know, this is not our full-time location. But it's an interesting read and I feel good about contributing to their cause. 

 

Someone like @gfron1 might use it to expand his knowledge/connections, I know he was an early purchaser of the book. Pretty sure he could have contributed to the book, with his NM and AZ knowledge. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

 

I don't find it useful as much as I find it informative and entertaining. 😉

 

I'm up there with @Anna N - sometimes a cookbook is just a good read! 

<snip the rest>

 

 

Oh, I'm demonstrably of the "if it's a good read, it's worthwhile" school of cookbooks. I'm just feeling a bit sheepish at the cookbooks I bought this summer and packed along for the winter that haven't been touched yet. :blush:

 

Ya know, I wonder whether those ciolim/cholla buds would be good pickled? They suddenly remind me of oversized capers. If I discover that I've packed them along, I'll try it. (That may be a while. I still haven't unpacked the fresh spices I bought just before we left.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Ya know, I wonder whether those ciolim/cholla buds would be good pickled?

 

The answer from Desert Harvesters is "yes!" I'll paraphrase and abbreviate. 

 

If starting from dried buds, refresh by soaking for 3 hrs and then boil for 30 mins. Drain. Pack in sterilized jars with 1 clove of peeled fresh garlic and 1 small red chile. Heat 1/2 cup vinegar with 1 tbsp sugar or honey plus a few cloves. Fill jar with liquid. Cool and store in fridge or I guess you could process in a water bath. 

 

Desert Rain Café used the cholla buds in their Pico de Gallo - cooked and cooled re-hydrated or fresh buds with red onion, red bell pepper, diced tomato, cilantro, lime juice, jalapenos, sea salt.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×