• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toaster ovens

Andrew Fenton

32 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Makes sense. I had one of their basic toaster ovens and liked it. 

Am I being ignorant for not considering a steam toaster oven, given I have an air fryer? I’m cooking for one. 

I have an air fryer, a Breville smart oven and an APO (steam oven) - I use them all depending on my desied end result - the air fryer probably gets the most use due to its speed and efficiency

I too cook for one

p

• Thanks 1

Thanks! Some of the pros (v cons) about steaming I have read seem to indicate they cook proteins very well, without drying them out. 

As I mentioned, I’m only one person. I’d be willing to eventually spend more but I don’t want to do that from the start in case I don’t use it enough to warrant an  upgrade. 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 1

At the risk of being tedious I use my Anova every day -- couple hours ago for toast (6 minutes, 186C, 100% steam).  My big oven I've used twice in the last six months:  for baked potato and for a frozen pizza that specified not to use a toaster oven.

However I'm guessing a Breville will work well for what it does.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

At the risk of being tedious I use my Anova every day -- couple hours ago for toast (6 minutes, 186C, 100% steam).  My big oven I've used twice in the last six months:  for baked potato and for a frozen pizza that specified not to use a toaster oven.

However I'm guessing a Breville will work well for what it does.

We use Breville several times a day. Today was t he first time since last year that I turned on the big ass oven.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Don't know how I missed this topic.  We bought our Breville toaster oven in 2017 and it just died last week.  I loved it to pieces.  Used it all the time for almost everything under the sun that I could cook.  And now we've bought two lemons....money returned now....Brevilles both of which were terrible and didn't match the temperature anywhere...did not heat up, did not hold the heat....useless.  And both from the same store...Canadian Tire....

Now what?  Help!!!!

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

9 hours ago, Darienne said:

Don't know how I missed this topic.  We bought our Breville toaster oven in 2017 and it just died last week.  I loved it to pieces.  Used it all the time for almost everything under the sun that I could cook.  And now we've bought two lemons....money returned now....Brevilles both of which were terrible and didn't match the temperature anywhere...did not heat up, did not hold the heat....useless.  And both from the same store...Canadian Tire....

Now what?  Help!!!!

That sucks.

Mine is a Cuisinart with convection (CT used to sell similar models in the $149-$179 range, but apparently not anymore). The current equivalent seems to be this one:

https://www.cuisinart.ca/TOB-135NC.html?lang=en#lang=en&start=1

I've been happy with mine, but of course there are a few caveats. For one, I got mine for $9.95 at Value Village, so my expectations were minimal (though it did appear to be in new condition, and may never have been used). Also I've never checked the accuracy of its temperatures, and have probably used mine for less actual cooking or baking than you've done in your lamented Breville.

That said, I've had no issue cooking or baking in it on the occasions I've tried. Toaster ovens in general are prone to over-browning on the top, and this one is no exception, but that's easily dealt with. It doesn't appear to be notably hotter or cooler than the purported temperature. I expect there's some individual variation at play, too, given the price range: the ones that came off the production line immediately before and after mine may have performed differently.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

10 hours ago, Darienne said:

Now what?  Help!!!!

I've had two Brevilles over the years. Loved them both.  Our kids have them and love them too.

Maybe Canadian Tire sells refurbished lemons?

I bought a super cheap Black & Decker that also has an air fry function a year or so ago. It works great. I don't think it was more than $70. I don't use it for a lot, but is wonderful for heating/cooking small things in the hot months when I don't want to heat up the kitchen. I have never checked the temperature for accuracy since I don't use it for anything that makes that much difference.

Deb

Liberty, MO

2 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I bought a super cheap Black & Decker that also has an air fry function a year or so ago. It works great. I don't think it was more than $70. I don't use it for a lot, but is wonderful for heating/cooking small things in the hot months when I don't want to heat up the kitchen. I have never checked the temperature for accuracy since I don't use it for anything that makes that much difference.

I use what may be a distant predecessor to your Black & Decker, a GE "Toast-R-Oven" that my grandmother bought in the 1960's.  It still works perfectly and I use it for toasting bagels, and crisping up frozen and reheated items.  It's small, quick-heating, and convenient.  I use it for all the reasons you gave other than air frying since I don't think that had been invented yet. 

• Like 2

What is a toaster oven?

Considering the price of the top end Breville (a wonderful machine) would the APO qualify?

Sure it's bigger (counter space), but it does everything and more!

p

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cyberider said:

I use what may be a distant predecessor to your Black & Decker, a GE "Toast-R-Oven" that my grandmother bought in the 1960's.  It still works perfectly and I use it for toasting bagels, and crisping up frozen and reheated items.  It's small, quick-heating, and convenient.  I use it for all the reasons you gave other than air frying since I don't think that had been invented yet. 

I had that very one that we got as a wedding gift 39 years ago. It served me well all these years and finally bit the dust.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO