• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foraging for favorites

We have lilacs all over the farm.  They escaped from the other farm house many decades ago.  Would love your recipe for lilac ice cream, dcarch.

This was what I did:

• 3 cups lilac florets (no leaves or branches)
  • 3 cups half-and-half
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 8 large egg yolks
  • 9 ounces inverted sugar
  • small pinch salt
  • 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

·       The Steps:

·      

·       Heavy cream, half&half, inverted sugar, salt and lilac florets in a container into sous vide cooker set at 150F for 5 hours.

·       Remove from sous vide cooker and strain off lilac florets.

·       Beat egg yolks.

·       Pour slowly mixture into egg yolk, stir while pouring.

·       Put mixture with egg yolk back in sous vide cooker and set temperature to 170F for 2 hours.

·       Leave in refrigerator overnight. You should also have your ice cream maker container in the freezer overnight.

·       Add vanilla and follow ice cream maker instructions and make ice cream.

dcarch

• Like 1

Thanks very much, dcarch.  I will have to translate that into my own ingredient and cooking method, but you have provided what I needed and I am grateful.  Our lilacs are not in bloom yet so it may be quite a while until I get a chance to make the ice cream, but I'll report back when I do.  Thanks again.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

How was the lilac ice cream?

We're growing some lavender ... I may try something with it when it's ready.

It was pretty good, but not spectacular. Next time I may up the sous vide temperature to 155F, and may be 10 hours instead of 5. 

LILAC ICE CREAM!!!!!???!!!  Can you infuse lilac flowers in alcohol to make lilac extract? 

I don't see why not. I may try that sometime.

dcarch

The ramps are FINALLY up!  I transplanted some from a road right-of-way to our back yard, and foraged a few while I was at it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Finally got fiddleheads. It went from cold to warm really fast this year, not much transition, so there's going to be a short window for getting them. I have somewhere around 5 lbs. right now, going for more tomorrow. Gonna eat as many as I can fresh, blanch and freeze some for later and I'm thinking about pickling some just to see how they turn out.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Finally got fiddleheads. It went from cold to warm really fast this year, not much transition, so there's going to be a short window for getting them. I have somewhere around 5 lbs. right now, going for more tomorrow. Gonna eat as many as I can fresh, blanch and freeze some for later and I'm thinking about pickling some just to see how they turn out.

As I understand it, not all fiddleheads are created equal. How do you know which are the right ones to pick? (Ours are just popping up now too, along with - finally! - the ramps.)

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

As I understand it, not all fiddleheads are created equal. How do you know which are the right ones to pick? (Ours are just popping up now too, along with - finally! - the ramps.)

I usually go picking with someone who learned from her mom, who learned from her mom, who learned from her mom... you get the picture. So basically, if she says they're the right ones, I take her word for it. But I've picked enough that I can identify them without trouble now. The brown paper-like stuff and the groove running up the inside of the stalk make it pretty easy.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 2 weeks later...

I forage for the restaurant about 4-5 times per week.  This is yesterday's excursion with my cookbook photographer capturing the exotic moments that happen in foraging.  I take my little Camry down some pretty serious backwoods trails and he's always done great.  This time I blew out the side of his tire on a rock while gathering nettles, cattails, watercress and green gooseberries.  Expensive harvesting.  I had Ari Levaux from Outside magazine video me on this same road last year because he couldn't believe my car was rock hopping so well on it (I've driven it no less than a thousand times so i know just what spots to hit...except yesterday).

foragingtire.jpg

I use it in a number of dishes but my favorite is to coat and age local goat cheese as a sort of cheesemakers joke - yellow mold is not a good thing on cheese, so it just makes me laugh knowing that I'm serving yellow powder coated cheese. I forgot to add my pic earlier.

Cattailpollen.jpg

Edited by gfron1 (log)
  • Like 1

I have an oregano that is more of a ground cover (grows dense and low) than the oregano I cook with.  It puts out some showy blooms that have a nice oregano smell. In the past I have fried them along with zucchini blossoms and they were an enjoyable herbal crunch. I don't have zukes this year so I am thinking of tossing in olive oil and baking at high heat so I don't waste a bunch of olive oil which they taste great in.  I just scissored some into a chickpea mash that included among some oils and alliums,  tangerine juice and zest and a fruity dried and reconstituted ancho chile. It is a nice subtle but fresh tasting oregano note.  Grape vine trimming and then processing of leaves is next.

photo (79).JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

They're pickles (or they will be) and so they're a component in my tasting menu.  Not sure what they'll go with yet.

It looks like you're starting the pickling process with sprinkles of salt. Do I have that right? And then what...and what do they taste like?

I toss them with a bit of salt to get things started - an hour or so, then when the weeping begins, I rinse and put in a solution of boiled rice vin and salt 3:1 with some salt, tellicherry, and a stalk of cattail.  Let them pickle for about 2 weeks.  The crunch is what I'm going for - crisp outside with the baby petals inside which are crisp yet delicate.  The flavor is tannin and desert sweet - much from the dessert has this - its kind of like a sweet dust, which I find much more appealing than I describe it as.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to looking for chanterelles yesterday afternoon. A casual, unhurried hour walking in the woods yielded about 3 lbs. Looks like a pretty good year for them. The wild blueberries are booming as well.

I have a bumper crop of sand plums on my property. I don't make jelly but have given some to a friend who does. I'm also snacking on them like they were cherries. The very ripe one are quite sweet.

• Like 1

FINALLY was able to get about 2 pints of wineberries for steamed puddings.  It was so cool and wet this year they are about a full month behind schedule.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites