• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Crackers

weinoo

I'm with janeer, I absolutely adore Lesley Stowe's Raincoast Crisps! If you're unfamiliar with them, here's a link:

http://www.lesleystowe.com/#/the-crisps/

I made a version of these once with a friend and they were delicious. A lot of ingredients and quite a bit of work, though. And now I can't find the recipe we used, but I see there are others online.  

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Must have cracker: La Panzanella Croccantini.

If I was big on cracker snacking croccantini would get pricey.

Ditto & ditto.  I like the Rosemary one too, the Black Pepper slightly less; but the Plain one is best.

So - I usually get the house brand (Fresh Market) of whole-grain seeded Lavash crackers.

• 9 years later...

I had been having no luck finding melba toasts locally, and the online prices seem insane, along with they would probably be destroyed to crumbs in shipping.

I shop at WalMart about 2 times a year to stock up on Girard's Champagne dressing.  It's the only bottled dressing we like and WM price is lowest around.  I noticed that Walmart had it's own brand of what they call crostini for $1.98 a big bag.  It's probably twice as thick as traditional melba, but it's pleasingly dry/crunchy and that's close enough.   

Boursin and crostini.  Olive spread and crostini.  Tuna mayo and crostini.  Yep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

I had been having no luck finding melba toasts locally, and the online prices seem insane, along with they would probably be destroyed to crumbs in shipping.

I shop at WalMart about 2 times a year to stock up on Girard's Champagne dressing.  It's the only bottled dressing we like and WM price is lowest around.  I noticed that Walmart had it's own brand of what they call crostini for $1.98 a big bag.  It's probably twice as thick as traditional melba, but it's pleasingly dry/crunchy and that's close enough.   

Boursin and crostini.  Olive spread and crostini.  Tuna mayo and crostini.  Yep.

Trader Joes used to have some small thinner ones but Ive seen the ones like Walmart but don't recall brand.few crumb bits. very  They came in a good sized bag and  I never buy bottled dressing except for the occasional craving for ....Girards Chinese Chicken Salad one. I can make it but donlt keep sesame oil around I use it for potluck cabbage salad w/ noodles. Or maybe my affection for glass just likes their unusual bottle shape ;)

Trader Joe's had some Brioche Toasts for a while that I loved, but they are no more. I like Wheat Thins and Cheeze-its extra brown version for mainstream crackers. But Effie's Homemade Biscuits are my latest obsession. Funny this thread popped up because I just posted about Effie's on Facebook today. So far the oatcakes are my favorite, but I still have a few varieties to taste.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

5 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

Trader Joe's had some Brioche Toasts for a while that I loved, but they are no more. I like Wheat Thins and Cheeze-its extra brown version for mainstream crackers. But Effie's Homemade Biscuits are my latest obsession. Funny this thread popped up because I just posted about Effie's on Facebook today. So far the oatcakes are my favorite, but I still have a few varieties to taste.

The original oatcakes are my favorite Effie's. I find the corn ones too sweet. I've never seen the Ginger ones, but I would grab them if I did.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, heidih said:

Or maybe my affection for glass just likes their unusual bottle shape ;)

Agreed.  But they changed it within the last couple years.  It looks more stocky now.  I was surprised that the new bottle was the same volume as the old, so no evident inflation downsizing.

• Sad 1

I love SO many crackers that it would be hard to list them.  I'm NOT a fan of herby crackers - especially ones with a heavy rosemary presence.  Since I am having to limit whole wheat/grain due to my potassium issue, I've rediscovered the pleasures of water biscuits, saltines, and Ritz.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ybot123 said:

My favourite crackers are probably Japanese senbei.

I tend to think of them as snack food rather than crackers! Love them though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Milton's.  I can get them both in MX and in AZ.  Taste is good and so is texture.  Not to hard, not too soft.  

Edited by gulfporter (log)

I'm pretty disappointed in most savory biscuits here. Rice crackers are ok as are some of the Shapes varieties in modest dosages but my favourite for putting stuff on and eating are Vita Wheats, especially the cracked pepper variety. For North American crackers, I was glad to get to eat Triscuits on my last trip.

61lU423XZjL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.