• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Waffles!

Ellen Shapiro

Is this a good place to ask about Weird Waffling? One day it occurred to me that I could make a waffle version of a Japanese okonomiyaki (savory pancake with very little flour and lots of cabbage and ginger, some pork) for lunchboxes. And then Indian pancakes make with ground urad dal and lots of herbs. And so on. The idea was that waffling them would allow me to use almost no oil (light spray on the waffle iron just for luck), and the texture would make up for any blandness caused by not frying the pancakes.

The only hassle was chopping ingredients finely enough that the waffle iron would close properly, but other than that, I've enjoyed savory waffles with vegetables and besan flour (toasted chickpea flour) or semolina. Dal waffles are good but soaking and grinding takes time. Buckwheat waffles are still to come.

Anybody else enjoying savory waffles?

• Like 3

Regarding savory waffles, you can make Tater Tot Waffles, too (click). You can use them as "sandwich bread" and have savory fillings like bacon and cheese.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

31 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Regarding savory waffles, you can make Tater Tot Waffles, too (click). You can use them as "sandwich bread" and have savory fillings like bacon and cheese.

Oh please.  I would have you banned from the site if I could.xDxD

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh please.  I would have you banned from the site if I could.xDxD

So what you're saying is, if a person, hypothetically, of course, has in fact already made this particular item, without the benefit of being able to blame it on late night post-bar kitchen adventuring, it may be in said person's best interest to refrain from admitting it? I ask merely out of curiosity, of course. :P :D 

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I actually remembered to make my waffle batter before going to bed last night, so I had yeasted waffles this morning. They were tasty but I wouldn't say a great deal more tasty than the usual waffle recipes I've used. What set these apart the most was the texture, they were very crisp on the outside and soft and slightly chewy inside. That difference makes them worth repeating for me. Plus the entire house smelled like I was baking bread. Oh, and I have lots of leftovers in the freezer that I can pop in the toaster to reheat.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I recently made a batch of Alton Brown's Sweet Potato waffles,  excellent flavour , I really like the touch of orange from the zest.     It is a fairly involved recipe though, will take a bit of extra effort and leave you with 6 egg yolks to use. Hollandaise anyone??    I just ended up making Thomas Keller's 7 yolk pasta the next day.  Calls for 6 yolks and one whole egg. 

IMG_20170108_105828926_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I make a batch of creme brulee every so often, by popular demand, so I always have extra whites hanging around and often use them to lighten waffles or pancakes.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 2/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, Tri2Cook said:

So what you're saying is, if a person, hypothetically, of course, has in fact already made this particular item, without the benefit of being able to blame it on late night post-bar kitchen adventuring, it may be in said person's best interest to refrain from admitting it? I ask merely out of curiosity, of course. :P :D 

Oh, hell, no. I want details. Details!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Toliver, you are an evil influence on all of us. Fortunately I live in Mexico where the concept of Tater Tots is unknown, so this recipe will remain un-made as written. Unless I decide to shred up a bunch of potatoes and slap them in the waffle iron--just sayin'. I salute the person who first thought of this great idea. It''s on my list for next Sunday. In our house Sunday is Bloody Mary day and a lingering breakfast of something eggy (or waffle-y). Hash Brown waffles--just the ticket, maybe with a poached egg.

By the way, if I'd thought of this during The Great Waffle Experiment I might never have tried to make cheese waffles and thus I'd still have that waffle iron.

Waffle on!

Nancy in Patzcuaro

Edited by Nancy in Pátzcuaro (log)
  • Like 2

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

52 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Toliver, you are an evil influence on all of us. Fortunately I live in Mexico where the concept of Tater Tots is unknown, so this recipe will remain un-made as written. Unless I decide to shred up a bunch of potatoes and slap them in the waffle iron--just sayin'. I salute the person who first thought of this great idea. It''s on my list for next Sunday. In our house Sunday is Bloody Mary day and a lingering breakfast of something eggy (or waffle-y). Hash Brown waffles--just the ticket, maybe with a poached egg.

By the way, if I'd thought of this during The Great Waffle Experiment I might never have tried to make cheese waffles and thus I'd still have that waffle iron.

Waffle on!

Nancy in Patzcuaro

I have a friend who now lives in Vera Cruz - Learned to make her own tater tots because she was desperate - her two years old son was fed them by her mom, who took care of the boy for a couple of months, while she and her husband were moving. He demanded them and howled when denied. She found a recipe on line and makes them three or four times a week.  She just got a child minder as she plans on going to work part time and had to teach the woman how to make them.  She says the woman is lovely but probably thinks she is loco for indulging a child but she did admit that the boy has a "fine set of lungs."  

She did say that she made some with the Mexican purple potatoes, which are different from the purple potatoes here, and they were very good. Sweet but not like American sweet potatoes.  

I'm going to send her the link for the tater tot waffle thing.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I wanted low-carb savory or sweet waffles that I could pop in the toaster so a couple years ago I bought the Chef's Choice 852 classic waffle maker. So far, it's worked great.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On February 12, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Anna N said:

P.S.  I already have a very adequate waffle iron.

I did a quick survey of my house and came up empty handed. I thought perhaps I had given my waffle iron to my daughter. When @Kerry Beal showed up yesterday she found it quite easily. It has now migrated from the basement to the kitchen. I would love to hear more from @DiggingDogFarm and his low carb, savoury waffles. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I would love to hear more from @DiggingDogFarm and his low carb, savoury waffles. 

As you know most low-carb "bread-like" stuff sucks so I'm not going to make a recommendation but this recipe is one of the better ones....or a starting point, anyway.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

6 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

As you know most low-carb "bread-like" stuff sucks so I'm not going to make a recommendation but this recipe is one of the better ones....or a starting point, anyway.

image.jpeg.724ea9764a580ec3a606eb47a437a072.jpeg

If you can ignore the fact that I never did get the amount of batter right to get a full waffle, these most definitely have more potential than anything else that I have attempted that is a low-carb base (If it ain't bread I refuse to call it bread). I did have to resort to coconut flour in lieu of the vital gluten.   I skipped all of the sweeteners.  Thanks very much.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I made the espresso waffle recipe that is in the current issue of Bon Appetit magazine yesterday for my niece and nephew.  They reported that the coffee flavor was subtle but definitely noticeable.  I can't do sweet in the morning so did not try one myself

58b2fe6498730_coffeewaffle.thumb.jpg.bae50a6568ad32458b86ac3397b32435.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/20/2017 at 10:57 PM, Ashen said:

I recently made a batch of Alton Brown's Sweet Potato waffles,  excellent flavour , I really like the touch of orange from the zest.     It is a fairly involved recipe though, will take a bit of extra effort and leave you with 6 egg yolks to use. Hollandaise anyone??    I just ended up making Thomas Keller's 7 yolk pasta the next day.  Calls for 6 yolks and one whole egg. 

IMG_20170108_105828926_HDR.jpg

I use a Tupperware "pitcher" with a pouring lip, go around the outside first, about an inch in from the outer edge of the iron, then fill in the center.  The outer rim of batter "sets" so it contains the the inner stuff so it won't run out the sides.

I learned this when I took a course when I first began catering.

• Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@andiesenji,

Thanks I will certainly try that as I have much trouble getting complete waffles.  

My 2004 eG Blog

We had yeast-raised waffles recently and here's the recipe we used, it made 6 waffles; YMMV (your mileage may vary). I can't remember where I found the recipe or I'd give credit where due...sorry

3/4 cup (180ml) lukewarm milk
50g (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1 large egg
3/4 tsp instant yeast
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1 cup (150g) all purpose flour, sifted
vegetable oil spray, to grease the waffle iron

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl with enough room for expansion as the mixture will bubble and grow.

Using a hand whisk, whisk until just combined. Do not over-mix and it's OK that mixture is not perfectly smooth.

Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 30 mins only or the mixture starts to bubble. Due to the addition of baking powder, it is not necessary to wait until the mixture doubled in its volume. If you prefer waffles with no yeasty aftertaste, do not leave mixture to ferment too long and of course, do not refrigerate the batter overnight!

Preheat waffle iron to its medium low heat setting - not the lowest!

Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick oil spray. Pour adequate waffle batter (about 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup) onto hot waffle iron. Cook until both sides are crispy and golden. Repeat this step until all the batter has been used.

Serve immediately or keep warm in a 100°C or 200°F oven until ready to serve. Serve with butter and maple syrup and/or berries or any toppings that you like.

waffles1.jpg

waffles2.jpg

• Like 3

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

On 26/02/2017 at 6:40 PM, andiesenji said:

I use a Tupperware "pitcher" with a pouring lip, go around the outside first, about an inch in from the outer edge of the iron, then fill in the center.  The outer rim of batter "sets" so it contains the the inner stuff so it won't run out the sides.

I learned this when I took a course when I first began catering.

cool tip  Thanks.  I can definitely use that for my regular waffle batter recipe, I will have to see how I can adapt that concept next time I make the sweet potato ones . The batter ends up much thicker than any waffle batter I have made before, it was a spoon in situation, as it really wasn't pouring consistency.     Maybe pipe it in using a large zip bag with corner cut off would be easiest. 

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Tonight for dinner I made blueberry cornmeal waffles. I started from Dorie Greenspan's recipe for Crispy Cornmeal Waffles (previously reported on here), but made some modifications. First, I eliminated the 1/4 cup maple syrup and replaced it with 2 Tbsp white sugar. Then I replaced some of the buttermilk with the juice of two lemons, plus their zest. Finally, I folded in a ginormous amount of frozen blueberries (probably 1 1/2 cups total). Baked as normal these came out crispy on the outside and cornmeal-gritty on the inside, with a ton of blueberry flavor and just a hint of lemon. I personally thought they were great :) . Here's the recipe I wound up with:

Blueberry Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Whisk together:

• 1 cup AP flour
  • 1 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp sugar

In a separate bowl, whisk together

• 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
  • Juice of two lemons
  • Zest from those lemons
  • 2 large eggs

Whisk wet and dry ingredients together until relatively smooth (I don't find gluten formation to be a problem, so don't worry about it). Add:

• 4 Tbsp melted butter

Stir or whisk to combine. Add:

• 1 1/2 cups blueberries (or whatever you've got, fresh or frozen)

Stir. Bake in a Belgian-style iron to your preferred taste and serve immediately, clustered around the waffle iron if need be. I didn't try holding them, but wouldn't get my hopes up. I don't think they need a topping at all, but I rarely do. This recipe made five waffles in my iron, with about 1 cup of batter per waffle.

DSC_4236.jpg

DSC_4244.jpg

• Like 8

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

IMG_4383.jpg.00c9864363ebbfd284c9c88648598793.jpg

Still under construction - I am making a batch of the low carb waffles mentioned upthread.

In place of the 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten - I added 75 grams gluten and 25 grams of trisol in hopes of getting crispier waffles.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I second the idea that it's worthwhile to whip the egg whites before folding them into the batter. I'm out of cooking commission since I had surgery recently, so my boyfriend made me waffles from scratch and took the time to whip and fold in the whites instead of putting the whole egg in, and the rise was amazing! Super fluffy waffles. We used a ceramic waffle iron, which doesn't stick at all. He made a berry sauce by simmering a cup of frozen blackberries and sweet black cherries with a splash of water and teaspoon of coconut sugar until the berries began to break. Then mixed a tablespoon of water and teaspoon of arrowroot starch and added it to the simmering sauce to thicken. A delicious maple syrup alternative.

waffles.jpg

• Like 3