• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What utensil do you use to fold?

MaryIsobel

While being laid up and housebound, I binged on The Great British Baking Show. I noticed that all the contestants used a large spoon to fold ingredients. I have always used a spatula. What do you use and do you think there is an advantage to using a large spoon? My other take from the show is that I want one of those ovens where once the opened oven door is parallel to the floor, it slides in under the oven, giving one unincumbered access to the oven. Would make it so much easier to lift a big turkey out of the oven or rotate baking sheets.

• Like 2

Silicone spatula for folding here. 

The GBBS ovens are from Neff (no eG friendly link available), most likely the N90 series, from my limited searching. Since you have the time, here’s a link to a blog post regarding the  GBBS ovens. 

Edited by DesertTinker
Corrected reference (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a spatula.  

Having said that, if all I had was a large spoon (think serving spoon with a wide bowl), I could see using that.  If you're holding it as if you were making a quenelle (at a slight angle) - you've got a curve created by the spoon as you move it through the mix and that helps bring the mix up and around.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Silicone spatula for folding here. 

The GBBS ovens are from Neff (no eG friendly link available), most likely the N90 series, from my limited searching. Since you have the time, here’s a link to a blog post regarding the  GBBS ovens. 

Thanks, we will be downsizing soon and I will definitely look into Neff.

• Like 1

Large silicone spatula

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Ignorance breeds monsters to fill up all the vacancies of the soul that are unoccupied by the verities of knowledge. -Horace Mann, education reformer, politician

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

11 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I used to use a spatula, but have started just using a whisk. Turns out that those fears of deflation are imaginary. 

In my pastry classes, a whisk was most often used.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I used to use a spatula, but have started just using a whisk. Turns out that those fears of deflation are imaginary. 

this is likely true to a very high degree - but, , , , being a recalcitrant me . . .

whisking stuff like eggs in a bowl, for scrambled eggs . . . no - I prefer scrambling in the pan.  I _like_ the texture of white&yolk not being 'totally homogeneous' - same for omelets - do not like just-a-yellow-colored jacket - much prefer lightly mixed white&yolk containing my (oh dear,,, I put a lot of different stuffings into omelets . . .)

now... "folding" stuff for scrambled is a whole different issue than adding a cheese sauce into a souffle.  not sure it's not possible to deflate the whipped egg white by 'over folding / over beating / over mixing' the cheese sauce, but using a whisk is certainly an option - but (sigh) again I go to the "you want it all homogeneous or more colorful / textural?" type personal preference.

"folding" i.e. melted chocolate into whipped cream - yes - a whisk is the tool!  I don't want streaks of white&choco in my Death By Chocolate Pie . . .