• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Partner requested grilled cheese after seeing one on tv. Rainy couple of days meant chicken tortilla soup (costco), waffle fries and grilled cheese.  I'm traditional with my grilled cheese- cheap American slices for me.  For him- bacon and sharp cheddar and habanero bacon.

20240628_183323.thumb.jpg.9048879b709a4162bb1a30e5fe4ec66c.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

We had delicious fresh as fresh, fish again, with salad and asparagus.Sauce was pan butter and oil with lemon juice.

I’m trying to sort out better lighting as only the dining area still has the old halogen down lights because there was an issue with the dimmer… so the halogen gives quite a yellow light. Not that it matters really. 

C9880CF1-9954-4B34-9782-AE4BA0892779.jpeg.4935de99072e05b9f16cffb113203016.jpeg

The asparagus was a sort of mistake in as much as I was in a hurry, saw it in the store, grabbed a bunch, vaguely thinking that the new asparagus from our northern regions must be coming in. When I got home I saw it was from Mexico??? So much for being careful about food miles. Ridiculous. Anyway it tasted OK. 

59666817-5371-45FC-82EC-6EA57D6C6161.jpeg.a861458d5c438f4cd6142bbd20564a05.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, Neely said:

We had delicious fresh as fresh, fish again

I'm wondering what kind of fish. A lot of the fish species in your part of the world, though,  are unknown to me, just as I'm sure many fish I get may be mysterious to you. In fact, many are mysterious to me, too!

I have a good Chinese friend who has lived in Melbourne whose family business here in China is as fish and seafood wholesale distributors and remember her saying she was baffled when she first went ot Melbourne as a student. That has to about 20 years ago, now.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 6/24/2024 at 7:56 PM, liamsaunt said:

Nephew cooked again last night since I am battling a summer cold.  He made bunny chow in two versions, one with beef and the other with roasted cauliflower.  This is the roasted cauliflower one.  He also made chapatis and South African yellow rice.  He hasn't offered to cook tonight yet, so I think I am back in the kitchen starting today...

bunnychow.thumb.jpg.1eb832be28681a710b4e6448ab8fca4b.jpg

The curry looks delicious! Curious what makes it bunny chow?

Here in South Africa the term simply refers to curry that is served in a hollowed out loaf of bread. So you order a 1/4, 1/2 or full bunny, and that is the size of loaf that is hollowed out (with the removed bread included on the side or as a 'topper').

I'm curious if there are other versions of 'bunny' that don't include the bread.

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

@Miss K

hoe ;ing and at the temp did you bake those meat valls ?

then did you simmer in sauce , for how long ?

I might have to give this a try , using the CSO  for the baking.

and making some sauce from a can of no added salt tomatoes.

just tomatoes , then I add my seasoning to that3.

might even make a Marcella sauce from that no-saolt can 

w a stick uf butter !

been thinking about that for chute a while,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Miss K

hoe ;ing and at the temp did you bake those meat valls ?

then did you simmer in sauce , for how long ?

I might have to give this a try , using the CSO  for the baking.

and making some sauce from a can of no added salt tomatoes.

just tomatoes , then I add my seasoning to that3.

might even make a Marcella sauce from that no-saolt can 

w a stick uf butter !

been thinking about that for chute a while,

I baked the meatballs at 400 degrees, and let it simmer in the sauce for 15 minutes. Have fun making your meatballs and sauce. 

• Like 1

Most dinners here are wonderfully photogenic and tempting-looking. I wonder, sometimes, how many members might be shy of posting for fear of ridicule. Well, bring it on. I'm tired, I'm coming down with a cold, and my life is topsy-turvy right now...but I still get hungry and need to eat.

Tonight's dinner: Last week's asparagus, cut into pieces and nuked, with a sprinkling of feta cheese chunks. Bits of butter and mayonnaise (the last remains of 2 packages) tossed in to melt. A hard-boiled egg, barely chunked up then heated in the final microwave pass.

20240629_181319.jpg

A travesty? One might say so. Or one might say "easy, filling, and light on the dishwashing."

Tastes pretty good, too. 

I refuse to put this in The Gallery of Regrettable Foods, although perhaps it belongs there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Most dinners here are wonderfully photogenic and tempting-looking. I wonder, sometimes, how many members might be shy of posting for fear of ridicule. Well, bring it on. I'm tired, I'm coming down with a cold, and my life is topsy-turvy right now...but I still get hungry and need to eat.

Tonight's dinner: Last week's asparagus, cut into pieces and nuked, with a sprinkling of feta cheese chunks. Bits of butter and mayonnaise (the last remains of 2 packages) tossed in to melt. A hard-boiled egg, barely chunked up then heated in the final microwave pass.

20240629_181319.jpg

A travesty? One might say so. Or one might say "easy, filling, and light on the dishwashing."

Tastes pretty good, too. 

I refuse to put this in The Gallery of Regrettable Foods, although perhaps it belongs there.

Nope. I admire  the hell out of you.  When life is a pitfall and you don't know when you'll quit falling, a good meal like you made is amazing.  Looks delicious.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'm wondering what kind of fish. A lot of the fish species in your part of the world, though,  are unknown to me, just as I'm sure many fish I get may be mysterious to you. In fact, many are mysterious to me, too!

I have a good Chinese friend who has lived in Melbourne whose family business here in China is as fish and seafood wholesale distributors and remember her saying she was baffled when she first went ot Melbourne as a student. That has to about 20 years ago, now.

Hi liuzhou the fish we had here was what we locally call Flake which is actually a species of shark we call Gummy Shark… no bones …a cartilaginous fish found mostly around the southern waters of Australia. For us caught and bought locally from the fisherman’s small shop right on the water. Has a mild flavour when fresh, stronger but not unpleasant when a little longer from caught. 

Not sure what or why your friend was baffled when she came to Australia 20 years ago. Different cultures maybe!  We do have many Chinese students come to our Universities and Colleges. Melbourne is a big city 5 million. I have only been to Hong Kong and one of my sons worked in Beijing for 6 years, speaks fluent Mandarin.