• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

17 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Chili recipe please? I enjoy seeing chili recipes of others. Beans or no beans, meat or no meat, no matter what it is I won’t tell you “That’s not chili!”. 🤣

I thought I posted this - apparently didn't click the right thing . . .

I prefer to start with dry beans . . . and still stuff like chili and stews and.... all seem to taste better 'the next day' I intentionally make it a day ahead.

presoak 200g dry kidney beans overnight

200g dry weight for overnight soak =~400g soaked

saltines

1 lb ground beef - salt & brown the beef then add
1 chopped onion
3/4 c green pepper chopped

=====
1 lb = 2 c tomato chunks
OR  =====
2 cans dice/whole/chili canned tomato
2 small fresh tomato hand diced added near end of cooking
=======

note on tomato:   summer, use garden tomato. 

do not use winter wooden tomato on the vine; use canned whole/chopped

8 ounces tomato sauce
add:
1 to 2 teaspoon chili powder
1 bay leaf (optional)

1 lb = 2 c dark red kidney beans

if canned - drained; reserve bean liquor to adjust consistency

- or simmer out undrained liquid (add time)

check for salt - add as needed; 1 tsp salt approx total
simmer about 90 minutes

cool, refrigerate over-night

slow reheat for service.

• Thanks 2

I have been wanting to make something with eggplant lately. I recall Charlie liked it--even though it was a vegetable.  We used to have it somewhat regularly but not recently.  This recipe appeared in the Kansas City Star newspaper yesterday and decided to make it today. It had directions to cook pasta and reserve some of the water, then later told when to add the reserved pasta water but never mentioned the pasta itself again. I added that to the recipe in my blog. Later after I took the picture, I added some jarred pasta sauce but now I don't think it really needed it. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1