• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

I'll catch up on the dinners when I've got a bit more time. It's been pretty hot and humid so my main meal has tended to be breakfast.

A few recent: sausage, pierogis with mushrooms and a salad.

Shrimp, sugar snap peas, cremini and oyster mushrooms, green onion, garlic, ginger, Thai chilis, fish sauce, spicy globe basil, cilantro and sesame oil over shrimp roe noodles.

Patty melt with caramelized onions, kosher dill slices and aged cheddar, tomatoes, coleslaw and gazpacho.

ShrimpShrimpRoeNoodlesSugarSnapsCreminiandOysterMushrooms.thumb.JPG.5e77476bee1cb4d457f80fadcfff2f73.JPG

PattyMeltwithCarmelizedOnions.thumb.JPG.9804955b1fa9e22d23a1106a01b10749.JPG

Sausage and Pierogi.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Death Valley, 132F air temperature a few days ago. How hot is 132F?

I sous vide'd salmon at 132F. Too well done for me.

Veggies from my garden.

dcarch

sousvidesalmonzucchini2024.thumb.jpg.5d3bb7efb6811121ec70dfd6f471384b.jpg

sousvidesalmonzucchini2024a.thumb.jpg.26bdb74432ecfe1a8421869d2b9e82ad.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, dcarch said:

Death Valley, 132F air temperature a few days ago. How hot is 132F?

I sous vide'd salmon at 132F. Too well done for me.

Veggies from my garden.

dcarch

sousvidesalmonzucchini2024.thumb.jpg.5d3bb7efb6811121ec70dfd6f471384b.jpg

sousvidesalmonzucchini2024a.thumb.jpg.26bdb74432ecfe1a8421869d2b9e82ad.jpg

That's a very apt temperature comparison, dcarch. Your dinner looks delicious! Very artistic, as usual. 🙂

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Cheddar Soufflé with Prosciutto and Arugula from Melissa Clark’s “Dinner in One” - You more or less mix eggs, grated cheddar, baby arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, prosciutto, scallions, garlic, nutmeg and tabasco and bake it for 45 minutes in the oven

IMG_9961.thumb.jpeg.e626d7b886128eb3ea6c5725550cd2c4.jpeg

• Like 11

Posted (edited)

Pork tenderloin slices marinated in Shaoxing with garlic, ginger, chilli and fermented black beans. Stir fried with shiitake and black skin chicken fir mushrooms, a native mushroom to these parts - 黑皮鸡枞菌 (hēi pí jī cōng jūn), Oudemansiella raphanipes. A splash of soy sauce and chopped coriander leaf and garlic chives to finish. Served with rice, of course.

_20240717201101.thumb.jpg.8d01fd8febfa8a0130c9d6d72adf7a3b.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

This recipe is from La Methode by Jaques Pepin.  Charlie tells me that our backyard neighbor did something like this at one of her parties but she split the brie, put raspberry jam on top of one half and put it back together before encrusting it. This brioche used a LOT of melted butter, four eggs, another yolk,  and a little milk and sugar and that was the only liquid used. The rest was just flour and yeast. The rest of our meal was take out from a chicken restaurant. (Canes) The brie was inside the brioche with the decoration. The other one was left over dough

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1718.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 5

Fish sandwich of pan fried haddock on multigrain with mixed lettuces and a quick mayo, sriracha, cilantro and green onion tops 'sauce' with a few kosher baby dills. Would have been better with some tomato slices but I was out.

DSCN2308.thumb.JPG.381ccf8e40417529d33671329af437ff.JPG

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Busy summer driving around to baseball tournaments, not as much time to cook - but a few random meals of late:

IMG_6569.thumb.jpeg.f4e57b11b2949075c3fafbc7fbb10743.jpeg

fish monger had some super fresh porgy - shallow fried - amazing.

IMG_6563.thumb.jpeg.890eca1a969c8c5edfbeb60ebbdeaae1.jpeg

garden salad - cukes and a few tomatoes; pickled ginger, black vinegar, lime.

IMG_6534.thumb.jpeg.4b94bbc8ec635182d7b58c9059cbac31.jpeg

my “Chinese master stock” going on about 10 years now.  This time chicken legs, with a fresh batch of aromatics.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Too hot and humid to cook yesterday and hot food was the last thing I wanted so gravlax, Boursin, cucumber and tomato with naan.

Today should be more pleasant as we're seeing the humidity drop.

DSCN2318.thumb.JPG.867417ff9e1a983262e13c6f7f5b91b2.JPG

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Too hot and humid to cook yesterday and hot food was the last thing I wanted so gravlax, Boursin, cucumber and tomato with naan.

Today should be more pleasant as we're seeing the humidity drop.

Relief is on it's way.  Here in S. ON we have had much nicer temps yesterday and today in the low to mid 20's.

Gorgeous and perfect for my liking.

How long did you cure the salmon for? Weighted down?

5 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Relief is on it's way.  Here in S. ON we have had much nicer temps yesterday and today in the low to mid 20's.

Gorgeous and perfect for my liking.

How long did you cure the salmon for? Weighted down?

Agree on the weather.

I cure my salmon for 4 to 5 days and do weigh it down. I judge the end time by the amount of liquid given off and the firmness of the salmon.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Agree on the weather.

I cure my salmon for 4 to 5 days and do weigh it down. I judge the end time by the amount of liquid given off and the firmness of the salmon.

Interesting.  Fairly long cure.  I only ask because I too love to make gravlax and yours appears a bit more opaque in color than I am used to, was just curious about your method.  Assuming lots of Salt and Sugar in the cure?

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Interesting.  Fairly long cure.  I only ask because I too love to make gravlax and yours appears a bit more opaque in color than I am used to, was just curious about your method.  Assuming lots of Salt and Sugar in the cure?

The long cure is because I start with a side of salmon, trim it, cut into two equal length pieces, apply the cure to portions and 'sandwich' the cure and weigh it down. The skin is left on and the salmon is turned over appr. every 12 hours.

The cure is salt, brown sugar, fresh dill, black pepper and smashed mustard and coriander seeds.

• Like 2

Second try of meatloaf with sauerbraten gravy. Added less onion and more panko to the loaf than the recipe calls for. I made the gravy from a recipe for crockpot sauerbraten using less red wine vinegar than called for and gradually added the crushed ginger nut bikkies until the consistency was right.

Served with feta, cucumber and tomato salad and baked potato. Was really good but needs braised red cabbage.

image.thumb.jpeg.f596e261a275f08e437c70d88aec7695.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.