• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I love spicy when I have a cold - helps drain the sinuses!

Slightly off-topic, though you could have it for with dinner, when I was living in Soviet Russia, I was introduced to chilli vodka. Perfect for colds. Cleared up sinuses and everything else while ensuring a good night's coma sleep.

Actually, thinking back, I may have had it for dinner more than once. Luosifen or Laziji are now my go-tos.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Trying to get the garden cleaned up, so quick supper with Shake'n'Bake BBQ Chicken.

ShakenBakeChicken4570.jpg.a715e4e65dd7807d79d4fb2c91f49ed9.jpg

Picked up Halibut tail pieces and a filet = fish 'n' Chips with curry gravy and malt vinegar

HalibutFishnChips4577.jpg.5dd8bc645e2178ab61c107696655a042.jpg

Saddle of Lamb never disappoints, especially when they are reduced by 50% on Superstores Flashfood app. These specials don't come up often now, but when they do I grab them for the freezer.

Lamb rubbed with whole grain Dijon mustard and slow roasted. Got away fromn me temperature-wise, but it was still good, moist and tender. Had expected son for supper but he had other plans. Guess the rest will go into the freezer...

SaddleofLamb4600.jpg.5f7c430d658d39587fc167c25f86e091.jpg   

Lambplated.jpg.1656cc7b265075e8c6e19f94e31c19f1.jpg                                                                                  

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Slightly off-topic, though you could have it for with dinner, when I was living in Soviet Russia, I was introduced to chilli vodka. Perfect for colds. Cleared up sinuses and everything else while ensuring a good night's coma sleep.

T

Actually, thinking back, I may have had it for dinner more than once. Luosifen or Laziji are now my go-tos.

The perfect medicine: Hot and Sour Soup. Or, if you happen to get a cold in New Mexico, Green Chile Stew. Luosifen hasn't made it to Northern California yet.  I don't know about river snails, but our garden variety land snails seem to be fighting a losing battle. They are going the way of the dodo, at least in our neck of the woods.

37 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

The perfect medicine: Hot and Sour Soup

I agree but there is more than kind of hot and sour soup in China and none traditionally use chili for the heat. Instead white pepper is used as it was before chili even reached beyond the Americas.

Fun fact: the direct translation of the Chinese name(s) is 'sour and hot'. 

Packaged ínstant Luosifen is available from Amazon (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) in the USA. There is one restaurant I know of, north of you in Seattle. But to taste the real taste you got to come to Liuzhou. Just avoid Chinese public  holidays. They are mayhem.

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Posted (edited)

It is John's birthday today and to celebrate, we are trying our a new-to-us offering from a restaurant we like.  The chef started a pickup/delivery service of 7+ course meals when Covid struck.  Included in this dinner is a cocktail and a bottle of wine.  It comes with a video wherein he describes what you need to do to finish preparing each course.  All food is pre-cooked so all that is required are re-heating and plating.  I've watched the video and what I need to do is simple and uncomplicated.  The menu is as follows:

Screenshot_20240511_125041_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240511_125538_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by ElsieD
Subbed a better copy of the menu (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

16 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It is John's birthday today and to celebrate, we are trying our a new-to-us offering from a restaurant we like.  The chef started a pickup/delivery service of 7+ course meals when Covid struck.  Included in this dinner is a cocktail and a bottle of wine.  It comes with a video wherein he describes what you need to do to finish preparing each course.  All food is pre-cooked so all that is required are re-heating and plating.  I've watched the video and what I need to do is simple and uncomplicated.  The menu is as follows:

Screenshot_20240511_125041_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20240511_125538_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Happy birthday to him! That looks like a delicious celebratory meal... the kind I'd love to have but couldn't manage to make on my own. Too many moving parts. What a great idea to have it delivered, mostly assembled!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

48 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

It is John's birthday today and to celebrate, we are trying our a new-to-us offering from a restaurant we like.  The chef started a pickup/delivery service of 7+ course meals when Covid struck.  Included in this dinner is a cocktail and a bottle of wine.  It comes with a video wherein he describes what you need to do to finish preparing each course.  All food is pre-cooked so all that is required are re-heating and plating.  I've watched the video and what I need to do is simple and uncomplicated. 

Wow, what a treat!  That sounds like a lot of fun.  Do let us know if it's as delicious as it sounds and Happy Birthday to John! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

At the insistence of my child, I tried the viral Tiktok Big Mac Taco tonight for the boys.

20240511_193944.thumb.jpg.d84f7632f765a55643e7e455bdda28a1.jpg

I didn't not like it 🤷‍♀️

I know you don't expect culinary classics from me... but if this is a step too far, I understand. 🤣

I'm not dying to make one but I don't think that looks bad at all.  Crispy tortilla, layers of meat as thin as a McD's burger 🙃.  Is the meat seasoned with taco seasoning?  Is there cheese?  What is the yellow stuff?  Looks too liquid to be cheese but too yellow to be Big Mac sauce.  Are there pickles? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Hmm, I have a bottle of this tucked away on the top shelf - a gift from someone. I'll break it out next time! image.thumb.png.2f90e9a33700d924b401ed6d718f594e.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

At the insistence of my child, I tried the viral Tiktok Big Mac Taco tonight for the boys.

Hate me freely, I hate myself 😅.

Smash it out. 

20240511_191847.thumb.jpg.f058f83f6cd61b4740523244afdd50a5.jpg

Top it up. 

20240511_193806.thumb.jpg.afb84f3d905d07ffae5db81a4d4c18c7.jpg

Serve. 

20240511_193944.thumb.jpg.d84f7632f765a55643e7e455bdda28a1.jpg

I didn't not like it 🤷‍♀️

I know you don't expect culinary classics from me... but if this is a step too far, I understand. 🤣

Since I don't TikTok I just get the echo of those trends in posts like yours! Your post puts in context another echo I ran across this echo recently in these dumpling smash tacos and I bookmarked it for further investigation, I admit.

https://nomnompaleo.com/dumpling-smash-tacos

image.thumb.png.7a880ea0aa6f635b9ad275ca53b9298a.png

• Like 2
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

that looks so interesting 

@ HB to John !

hopefully their might be pics 

but not to interfere w the celebration!

I'll post pictures either today or tomorrow.  I just went through the video and took some notes as there are a few things included that are not listed on the menu and I'll add them to the description of the plates.  I'm looking forward to this meal.

• Thanks 2

There is an Asian grocery (mostly Korean) about a 20 minute drive from here.  It has the freshest jarred kimchi of any place I've been and sells three or four different kinds of marinated meats ready to take home and grill. We both think their spicy pork bulgogi and beef bulgogi is the best around.  Today I got some spicy pork and kimbap and we had that for dinner tonight. 

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm not dying to make one but I don't think that looks bad at all.  Crispy tortilla, layers of meat as thin as a McD's burger 🙃.  Is the meat seasoned with taco seasoning?  Is there cheese?  What is the yellow stuff?  Looks too liquid to be cheese but too yellow to be Big Mac sauce.  Are there pickles? 

The yellow is a combo of 'Burger Cheese' high melt plastic alla Maccas and a store bought burger sauce that is an imitation of big mac sauce. There is finely  diced white onion and pickles. Just salt and pepper for seasoning 😀. You know for authenticity 😅😶

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, CantCookStillTry said:

The yellow is a combo of 'Burger Cheese' high melt plastic alla Maccas and a store bought burger sauce that is an imitation of big mac sauce. There is finely  diced white onion and pickles. Just salt and pepper for seasoning 😀. You know for authenticity 😅😶

I do love your turns of phrase!

And it's good to see your cooking, too!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Some of the family came over for an informal late lunch for Mothers Day. We had pork chops and vegetables, gravy and mustard of course. 

CB08FAA8-CAD1-42B3-9A58-B3D9DFDAF832.jpeg.8ee86e4624406e8aaf4118a53cd21a83.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Matthew.Taylor

your TT looks perfect.

I noticed a temp probe.  how did you cook it ?

I used the instructions from Meathead Goldwyn’s book. Cook on indirect heat until around 110 degrees F. Then put it on direct heat until around 130 F. I left it on longer than that (145 F) because I was uncertain, and Mom takes her steaks Medium.

• Thanks 1

I made a batch of gravlax this week (something I do about every two months). Five day cure with salt, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, black pepper and dill.

I tried @TicTac's roasted crispy skin idea (which I'm sad to say I usually toss in the compost) and WOW.

Rubbed with olive oil. Crispy, salty and lots of flavour.

A keeper.

CrispySalmonSkin.thumb.JPG.df4ab040d7d216ea793df966f80ae7c3.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Early dinner featuring the first of the season's lobster.

Lenny weighted in at 525 gm. and served with a dill, Italian parsley and chive butter. 

Dandelion green and tomato salad, steamed hosta shoots and oven fries with sriracha on the side.

An extra spicy Caesar to accompany.

LennyPre-cook.thumb.JPG.f2847059cb9b7ff0bcab1fe707593e43.JPGLennyPost-cook.thumb.JPG.224e2864037404c2a787908c8ab999fb.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Posted (edited)

We‘ve spend the sunny Saturday in the nearby town of Strasbourg, just across the border. Haven’t been there for a while …

IMG_3578.thumb.jpeg.9d9ba09594bec76c2a37830a34e82997.jpeg

Brought back a lot of food, including some stuff for tonight’s BBQ …

IMG_3594.thumb.jpeg.5addf3d5f1753c28b1adfe039f26461c.jpeg

Soooo, we had: lamb, some Merguez, some sausages with herbs & garlic, some saucisse de Toulouse and a kind veal & milk sausage, that was sinply excellent …

IMG_3596.thumb.jpeg.a4edb7ffa97b4ef2a17a83be8b142d2d.jpeg

Plus a horse rumpsteak and a marinated rabbit skewer …

IMG_3599.thumb.jpeg.139b96fe278bafaf54fed359184301c1.jpeg

To match the French theme, a very garlicky potato grstin instead of Kartoffelsalat

IMG_3597.thumb.jpeg.beafcce56fb6c284bfeb7dce4cf60fb2.jpeg

And - because it’s the season - Spargel en papilotte 🤗

IMG_3600.thumb.jpeg.ec4510e9a6b0283dda21b8b3258423fb.jpeg

All accompanied and finished with a sweet white wine from the Jura …

IMG_3604.thumb.jpeg.326ba96a49c84d0d2a1c44ca01777a09.jpeg

No complaints 🥳

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4