• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite oven mitts?

BeeZee

I have some Cuisinart brand oven mitts that I like, they come up to mid-arm, quilted fabric with silicone type material lining the "mitten" area. However, I'm getting burned sometimes because the silicone must have a hairline crack, hole, or is just deteriorating on one of the mitts. I like having the "non-slip" function with the fabric for comfort (I have a pair of all silicone gloves and they are too sweaty). I don't have large hands, so I don't want something too bulky. As far as length, a few inches past my wrist/mid-arm is good. What gloves have you had good experiences with? I definitely want mitts/gloves vs pot holders.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I've had these gloves (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) for about 6 years now and am pretty happy with them. I chose them because they came in a small size so I have reasonable dexterity compared the giant one-size Ove-Glove brand, so I can securely grip a small knob to remove a lid, etc. 
They may not be as long as you want. I have a pair of all-silicone mitts that go to my elbow if I think I need the length but they’re clunky. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

For those knitted gloves with the silicone dots or whatever, have you ever had a time that you got one wet while carrying something hot - do they soak through quickly (transmitting heat) or do you have time (10 seconds) to set the pan down?

I've got an over-range microwave and it is nerve racking (as a fairly short person) to take a pan out and get it down to the counter.

• Like 1

I have Trudeau Oven Glove(s) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link). These were my first oven mitts which had fingers (which made the gloves much more dextrous). However, except for the index finger, all the other glove digits are about an inch too long. This results in stabbed casseroles and grease-impregnated gloves. Grease makes the gloves less heat resistant.

Eventually I throw them in the washing machine (cold, drip dry) which shrinks the gloves a bit and returns the glove to a more heat-resistant state. Eventually I replace them.

While I've had to move quickly because the gloves have become too heat conductive,  I don't think I've ever been burned. And I don't remember ever getting the gloves totally wet either, though it's possible I accidentally stuck my hand under the faucet and then, duh!, picked up a hot dish.

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

For those knitted gloves with the silicone dots or whatever, have you ever had a time that you got one wet while carrying something hot - do they soak through quickly (transmitting heat) or do you have time (10 seconds) to set the pan down?

I've always had time enough to put the pan somewhere.

1 hour ago, BeeZee said:

I've got an over-range microwave and it is nerve racking (as a fairly short person) to take a pan out and get it down to the counter.

Yes. These gloves gave me more dexterity.

I'm not much for gloves or even mitts--too much time and trouble to don and doff.

But the Ritz brand is wonderful.  They make a heavy, double-layer terry potholder sewn with one side open if you want full-hand coverage.  They come in many colors.

On 10/21/2023 at 4:03 AM, BeeZee said:

I ordered a pair of the knit gloves with silicone strips similar to what @blue_dolphin and @palorecommended, thanks!

I hope they'll be useful.  Here's one reason I like them.  I have several of these La Chamba casseroles.  

A4C661AE-5DA8-4715-8A45-877A39D2D367.thumb.jpeg.4543da33b4f900d8b9aec291d6c31594.jpeg

The "handle" on the lids is smooth and straight and, try as I might, I can't get a good grip on it with a dry towel.  A bulky mitt isn't any more helpful but those gloves do the trick!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:26 AM, gfweb said:

I like a dry towel. Oven mitts are too awkward for me.  I do have a pair somewhere.

What every cook in every restaurant uses...just make sure it's dry!!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 2 weeks later...

Dry towels. Cotton ones ... we have some microfiber towels kicking around, which are great for some things, but they'll melt if you're pulling something out of a  500°F oven. 

I do keep a pair of big dumb silicone mits for times I have to wrestle something big and heavy out a hot oven. Like a turkey on a heavy roasting pan. They're not essential, but they offer protection up your forearm, and you don't have to worry about a towel slipping and exposing some metal, or bumping your knuckles into a hot surface. It's nice that they don't absorb water.

The real drawback to things like this is they can get gross inside and are hard to clean. You should make sure your hands are clean before putting them on. This adds to the hassle, and is a reason towels are usually more convenient. 

Notes from the underbelly

13 hours ago, paulraphael said:

The real drawback to things like this is they can get gross inside and are hard to clean. You should make sure your hands are clean before putting them on. This adds to the hassle, and is a reason towels are usually more convenient. 

This is the very reason I don't use the silicone gloves that I have, plus the fact that they turn into a sauna if worn for more than a minute. I've used the new textile+silicone gloves that I recently bought, and like the dexterity they offer. I seem to rarely have dry towels in the kitchen so I appreciate a safe option for myself and my husband who has small hand tremors.

• Like 3