• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panettone: Do You Hate It or Love It?

gulfporter

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I breached my panettone today.  Filippi panettone ai marroni.  Texture and flavor were delightful.  Taste was a bit cloying I thought.  I may assay a slice with a pat of butter and a pinch of salt to attenuate the sweetness.

Main problem was that try as I might I could eat only about a tenth of it.  I may be living with this panettone for a long, long time.  I kept the box because it is supporting a stack of bedroom cooking gear.  And because I know someone will ask, the items on top of the panettone box are a trompo, a dough proofing container, and a vacuum sealing canister.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My sister, who had what seemed like a non-stop supply of Sicilian pannetone flowing through her home, said it keeps just fine for 2 weeks if well-wrapped.

• Thanks 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I need to get out of the house and try to find some for the freezer.  

Probably marked down now too.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

being the thorough luddite I am . . .

I keep a couple dishes/delectables "reserved" for 'the holiday season' . . . .

buy/make them, enjoy.  no interest in 'freezing' / et.al. for all year consumption.

they belong to the season.

stollen and panettone

great-grandmother cookies - cherry walnut bars, Bad Boy cookies, pizzelle

pfeffernuesse (anything)

fruitcake & hard sauce

orange-pineapple-cranberry relish

somehow they become less special when forcibly 'available' all the time.....

• Like 3

@AlaMoi, would you mind sharing the cherry walnut bar recipe?  Christmas equals candied fruit, nuts, and sugar/butter/flour.  In all its glorious forms.  Agree with all your points.  Once per year.

Panettone has a lifespan.  It is born into the world as a cotton candy bread to be eaten as is.  When it gets a bit older, toast it and butter it.  When it is older still, make French toast with it.  As it enters the twilight of its time on this earth, make a bread pudding.  In my house, you would need a separate panettone for each of the lifespans because I like it too much.

I had one in October, a gift, that blew me away:  dark chocolate with hazelnut topping.  Stop it.  All that butter and dark chocolate, too.  And nuts.

Since I (we) ate that early, I declared it to be The One.  No more.  Instead, I made cookies with dates, candied pineapple, Brazil nuts and slivered almonds.  I (we) ate all of these cookies promptly.  We saw a lot of movies this Christmas, and each took a bag of six cookies into the theater with us.  I froze the last eight and they lasted maybe a week.

Then I decided I just couldn't stand not having a "proper" panettone, and went out and bought a regular candied orange and raisin version and ate it, in handfuls, in the car.  I am not lying.

If you do not like the "neon" version (who does, really?), make it yourself.  It's time-consuming, but not hard and Mama Mia, is that good.  Very good.  It's nearly orange peel season, my friends.

And if you think, my lord, that woman must be big as a house, try Lynne Rosetto Kasper's most brilliant idea:  make a nice little salad with baby greens.  Light pieces of onion, maybe some cucumber and little slices of green pepper.  Then a few shaves of excellent parmesan.  Add chopped pieces of candied orange and chopped hazelnuts.  Salt and pepper it.

• Like 1

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

this recipe is essentially 100 yrs old +

my grandmother arrived as a 3 year old in 1901 - her mother made them, she made them, since 1970 we've made them....

pretty sure the qtys/units, etc must have 'been modified' over the century - my grandmother was born/came from ye' olde' lovable Transylvania of fame . . . .

this I copied from her 3x5 card to computer disk . . . lest it get lost .  .

cherry-walnut.thumb.jpg.af42863a38a4f0659dc614cc9f66abff.jpg

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 1

Thank you very much, @AlaMoi  There are a lot of recipes online and it's a "thing" -- somehow I'd never heard of them.  

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

this recipe is essentially 100 yrs old +

my grandmother arrived as a 3 year old in 1901 - her mother made them, she made them, since 1970 we've made them....

pretty sure the qtys/units, etc must have 'been modified' over the century - my grandmother was born/came from ye' olde' lovable Transylvania of fame . . . .

this I copied from her 3x5 card to computer disk . . . lest it get lost .  .

cherry-walnut.thumb.jpg.af42863a38a4f0659dc614cc9f66abff.jpg

I loved this a a child. My Mom's recipe was called Dream Squares, but is nearly identical. Mom usually made it as a "dainty" to take to a gathering or for bridge parties. I hadn't thought of it in years, so thank you.